No Beta Tonight People

General Discussion
QUESTION PEOPLE?!?!

How has anyone not noticed that like four or five of our threads have been deleted? Awesome. That's how we solve problems and inform the gamer's. CLICK, DELETE. HAZAA!

Maybe they're deleting the threads and/or posts because they don't want 10 copies of the pretty much exact same thread cluttering up the forum. It is kind of spammy. They're moderating it by removing useless or repetitive posts as I would expect from moderators. It's not to cover up questions, or to hide a secret beta release. It's to moderate. To keep the forum semi-clean and not cluttered with and filled with so many posts that users can't find something else they may want to read/write/post about.
I didn't say that those threads were helpful to the community. I am just disappointed as to how they are handling communication. Oh wells.
To be honest, I don't think the OP knows how Blizzard work when the develop a game. He also probably doesn't know their working hours or if the beta could be set to start automatically to send out invites at X time. So closed beta is released when closed beta is released.
09/14/2011 11:47 PMPosted by NinjaPeppers
To be honest, I don't think the OP knows how Blizzard work when the develop a game. He also probably doesn't know their working hours or if the beta could be set to start automatically to send out invites at X time. So closed beta is released when closed beta is released.

You didn't read my post about automated release/invites?
Okay.

There will not be some automatic bot/script that invites people to the beta or activates account. It will be done with an announcement by Blizzard when they feel it is time. They always accompany beta initiations with a post on the forum, announcement on their sites and etc. It is usually at that point they BEGIN sending invites. If it was automated, everyone would get invites at the same time, and the timing would be different. And the post on the forums/sites would be by some automated bot and not a real Community Manager.

09/14/2011 11:33 PMPosted by Whiskay
I didn't say that those threads were helpful to the community. I am just disappointed as to how they are handling communication. Oh wells.

Well it is the job of the forum moderators/Community Managers to moderate the forum. That includes removing threads that are more or less duplicates of each other. It clutters the forum and makes it harder to find other threads with actual content. It isn't like they're just deleting anything and everything having to do with it. They keep one or a couple, and answer the question there(or at least allow people to discuss it). That way, the single thread serves the same purpose as all of the other 10 would have, in less the space and resources.
Think of it like this, you're reading a newspaper. The newspaper has.. 6 articles, all about the same thing. Heck, let's even assume each of them has a tiny bit of something extra to add. Not only would most readers get annoyed and tired of the same article, it just took up space and made it harder to find the other, different articles. And, the newspaper had to waste more paper and ink to print the duplicate articles. Now, if they instead removed 5 of the 6 articles and just put all of the relevant information into a single article, they not only save space and resources, but it also nicer to the eye, easier for readers, and less annoying.

I don't mean to sound mean, but you must not work for an IT company either.

Not mean, just ignorant. As a matter of fact I do work for one.

1. The devs are in no way in control of when to start/stop betas or release dates...

Never implied that.

2. It is not as simple as "running a script to flag certain accounts to be able to login."

Actually it is, and more convenient than what you propose.

For one, you can track who ran the script, when was the script ran, what version of the script was run, etc. And in case of needing to rol back the script, you know excatly what has to be undone. And probably you have a script to do just that.

PS: excuse any typos or slightly confusing wording. I'm half asleep atm lol.

Then go to sleep and stop writing nonsense. Thank you.

I don't mean to sound mean, but you must not work for an IT company either.

Not mean, just ignorant. As a matter of fact I do work for one.

1. The devs are in no way in control of when to start/stop betas or release dates...

Never implied that.

2. It is not as simple as "running a script to flag certain accounts to be able to login."

Actually it is, and more convenient that want you propose.

For one, you can track who ran the script, when was the script ran, what version of the script was run, etc. And in case of needing to rol back the script, you know excatly what has to be undone. And probably you have a script to do just that.

PS: excuse any typos or slightly confusing wording. I'm half asleep atm lol.

Then go to sleep and stop writing nonsense. Thank you.

1. If you did work for an IT company, or at least one that deals with software, you would know that it doesn't work the way you make it seem.

2. You did kinda imply. You didn't say it directly, but imply you did.

3. It is POSSIBLE to do a script, yes. But one, you have to write unnecessary code for something that is easier to just do by hand anyways. Especially if there is a typo or a bug in the script that can cause a screw up and mess something up, or flag things incorrectly or etc. You know, things that DO OFTEN HAPPEN with software and scripts? So instead of writing and bugtesting a completely unnecessary script, just do it faster, and easier, and with less chance of a screw up, manually. Logical when you think about it right? Or do you honestly believe its worth the time and effort to write a script that might mess up anyways, when, like I said, most of the work would be copy-paste anyways.
Yes, you can track who did it(if you code that feature in. Yet more time into another useless feature, though.) What version? Um, I'm pretty sure to do a BETA RELEASE, there would only be one version anyways, lol. They wouldn't use four different versions of the same script at the same time to do a beta flagging. Rollback the script? So you have to write TWO scripts now? One to do it, and another backup to undo it all if it gets it wrong. And what if it's something you're "rollback" script wasn't programmed to fix? More time wasted on making useless scripts. If you screw it up doing it by hand, you can go back and undo one change. It's pretty easy. Retrace your steps. X player received an invite email but has no access? Okay, go add him then. X player accidentally got added in the beta? Okay, just remove him. The worst that can happen if you do it my way is a typo in some email addresses, or maybe an inproper flagging which can just as easily be fixed. Your way, unexpected(or even expected) bugs can cause more than you know. Not so convenient, huh?

4. I may be tired, but what I write is still not nonsense. If you actually read what I wrote, you would actually notice that I made perfect sense. Just because you personally don't seem to understand why it is logical, does not mean it is nonsense.
Good night.
1. If you did work for an IT company...

1. I don't get it why you still doubt it.
2. No I didn't. L2Read.
3. I challenge you to do a series of tasks for each of, let's say 100 accounts, without mistake... I'd trust a script over a guy doing it manually every time.
4. "I may be tired, but what I write is still not nonsense.". Let's brake it down, shall we?

"If you actually read what I wrote," I did read it, didn't I. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to counter your arguments.

"you would actually notice that I made perfect sense". I noticed you didn't make sense, that's why I posted back.

"Just because you don't seem to understand why it is logical, does not mean it is nonsense." But I did understand and it still seems nonsense to me from my experience.

I give you that for the F&F fase of the beta did it "by hand" as you say, THAT makes sense, but for the closed Beta? with possibly hundreds of invites per wave? No way.
got my sc2 beta key at 10 pm feb 17 last year