Demon Hunter Complaints

Demon Hunter
I am hearing that the Demon Hunter is boring in beta and that she doesn't have much AOE. What is your take on this? Is the DH simply a character who needs time to develop?
Should move it to demon hunter forums.
DH is extremely weapon dependent and dualxbows result in resource starving.
That's one thing I'm concerned about. I can build fairly easy specs for every other class, but with the DH it seems a lot trickier finding that balance between hatred. I find my builds with around 3 skills being chosen just to help maintain Hatred, and some runs of my 3 attack skills to rebuild Discipline. Hard to say how many resource abilities/runes I need since we haven't played it yet though.
I think they all look amazing =) I'm keeping all my speculation subject to change, considering ive never even played this game. Lol
http://www.diablowiki.net/Skill_Animations_Videos#Demon_Hunter_Video

Demon Hunter is going to pwn.

Also, anyone else tired of putting D3 in google and D3 The Might Ducks pops up?
From what I have read the issue is dual wielding provides no benefit over wielding a single crossbow in terms of damage due to skills giving the single weapon much higher damage.

However in my view, dual wielding will mean less overkilling monsters so you are using your damage more effectively and if you calculate DPS (without skills) it should be close to if not higher than a single bow due to the lack of overkilling. The issue comes when a skill adds x% to a shot, that % will be much greater for a single powerful shot....

Haven't played at all though so that's just my understanding from reading stuff.

More on topic, I don't think it will be. There are an insane number of combinations and beta testers have yet to find the right one.
I think Demon Hunter is just a class that works better at higher levels and not so amazing with the level 13 constraint on it.
09/15/2011 09:30 PMPosted by SevethM
Also, anyone else tired of putting D3 in google and D3 The Might Ducks pops up?

That has not happened to me, but it would be annoying.
From what I have read the issue is dual wielding provides no benefit over wielding a single crossbow in terms of damage due to skills giving the single weapon much higher damage.

However in my view, dual wielding will mean less overkilling monsters so you are using your damage more effectively and if you calculate DPS (without skills) it should be close to if not higher than a single bow due to the lack of overkilling. The issue comes when a skill adds x% to a shot, that % will be much greater for a single powerful shot....

Haven't played at all though so that's just my understanding from reading stuff.

More on topic, I don't think it will be. There are an insane number of combinations and beta testers have yet to find the right one.

The problem is that attacks aren't normalized. So while Dwing, or with fast weapons in general you get less damager per hatred / discipline. This is balanced out, for other classes, by the fact that you have "builders." For example Barb fury builders get a slight buff from using a fast weapon, because you get to use them more quickly = faster fury inflow. Same situation with Monks.

All systems penalize dwing though.

For example, Warriors have a lot of big CD skills like Ancients / Earthquake. With those skills you will get much more out of them with with 2h weapons.

But DH's are different because they don't generally "generate" hatred or discipline based on attack speed. One thing that MIGHT make faster weapons viable for DH would be the passive "fundamentals" but that's not available in the beta...
I like the Demon Hunter class so far. They are fast killers, and have a lot of effective skills that are useful in kiting, or survivability. But, while I do really like the idea of dual mini xbows. I feel like there should be less of a requirement to equip them. I mean, there is little to no point for a Demon Hunter to use anything else. So pretty much any other weapon we pick up, we know we aren't going to use, regardless of how good it is. I wish there was kind of a way to feel like that wasn't the case. Otherwise they are awesome.
I think the Demon Hunter looks very strange when he runs but other then that I think hes fun to play, and the dual xbows are pretty bad !@#.
She is a hard carry.
The demon hunter is far from boring, from what I've played. Even with just having a small handful of abilities, I felt like I had a lot of control over the battlefield.
09/15/2011 09:37 PMPosted by Niji
I think Demon Hunter is just a class that works better at higher levels and not so amazing with the level 13 constraint on it.

Honestly, I don't feel that way whatsoever. On the contrary, I feel they're one of the strongest classes right now. Especially with the Patch 17 buffs for DH, I have nothing but merits for the DH class. At level 13, I'm sitting on nearly 82 Damage with 2.18 attacks per second. I drop SK solo faster than most other classes since RF is one of the most amazing DPS skills, and with just caltrops for help every few seconds, I never even get touched by him. With mobs, vault kiting then RF works just fine. I don't use Chakram, but I've seen other DHs that kill mobs even faster than me with it.
All in all, I love the DH class as it is. One of the most mobile class with amazing DPS. What more could you ask for? :)

this overkilling argument honestly makes no sense... so if an enemy has 100 hp and i can kill them in 3 shots with 2h weap or dw. dw i deal 102 dmg in those 3 shots while the 2h deals 112 damage... ive spent the same amount of resources either way regardless of how much damage i did.

now we fight a monster with 105 hp and dealing the same amount of damage. i now need to shoot 4 times to kill the target instead of only 3, having to use more resources dual wielding...

the name of the game is DAMAGE, it doesnt matter if you kill a target by 1 damage or 1000 damage... higher damage ALWAYS = better

what it really comes down to in weapon choice is simple. do i want hit faster, or harder. if i have alot of abilities i cannot spam due to cds, probably want to go 2h. if you have alot of high resource costs, attack speed could be more beneficial for faster hate generators. in groups you can prob sit back and fire.. faster attack speed would be nice... running your !@# off against packs in solo, higher damage.
04/14/2012 04:31 PMPosted by Terrokhan
She is a hard carry.

Vayne OP
The truth is... at first I didn't care much for the DH at all. Because of the lack of AoE.

I found the DH the hardest to initially play through solo as your only AoE is Hungering Arrow essentially, for some time.

However... once you hit I think level 11 and you get bola shot and chakrim, you end up having so much fun as you plow through everything!

It is true that up until this point, the demon hunter isn't quite as fun as the other classes just because of the early lack of AoE. But its a good thing they hold it off for so long because if they didn't you would probably be rocking the early game with your AoE abilities.
I've been playing DH for a bit on Beta now.

early game, up to level 13 (what we have in the beta) DH has very little AOE. VERY little. All the other classes I've played have both, yet DH does not. I'm assuming later skills and runes will help this. But right now, caltrops and the bola shot are the closest things to an AOE build, and those are slow effects. They are not instant explosions like you can get with Monk, Wiz or Barb. You are not going to surprise a group with a DH and blast them to bits. You are going to sneak in, drop a caltrops, and then try to hit with an explosive bola before running away and firing at individual targets. try not to get surrounded.

again, i'm hoping later skills/runes changes this a bit, as it seems like a very 1-dimensional character right now.
Clearly you haven't tried out Chakram. It's so cheap and spammable, if you know how to use it (hint: don't shoot all of them from the same starting position) you can very quickly mow down an entire room.
I find it odd that barb and wiz are the most popular according to polls, but DH and monk make up the majority of fan art on darkness falls heroes rise.