Why Diablo 2 the Remake?

General Discussion
I've read a ton of forums in General Discussion since they've gone up and running. What I've gathered so far from the majority of posts is that an active vocal part of the community wants Diablo 2 the remake.

Just to quote a few posters:

09/15/2011 04:36 PMPosted by Foofighter
I think they should open up competitive serves that are the loot style of Diablo 2, with loot that isn't shared,1 kill is only 1 set of loot. This would make items seem worth more in my opinion

08/28/2011 03:29 PMPosted by Rob
Respecing characters never interested me, it reduces a lot the difficulty of the game. I don't think it is a good thing to make a character and then, if you make an error, you can start over your skills and attributes. In the early Diablo II's years, we couldn't respec and it was perfect like that

in this game every barbarian can be like every other barbarian in a matter of seconds. There are no skill trees to vary your character apart, nor stat points to vary how you wanted your attributes. These basic things that the Diablo game always had gave it a high replay value, and made it fun to try the same class with different builds. This game doesnt even give the courtesy of a Talent tree to specialize skills you perfer over other players. Only your gear makes the difference, and that is pretty restrictive as well.

Why?
Nostalgia is a powerful thing. Diablo 2 holds a big place in a lot of players' heart, and it's hard to think that something that felt so much fun back then could be wrong today.
Some people might, but that doesn't go for everyone. You've quoted 3 different people who have different opinions on different aspects of the game. They may not like that specific aspect, but chances are they love a lot of what the new game is doing, different or not. People have a weird habit of characterizing a community as having one voice, being of one mind. Obviously all these guys have different things they'd like to be like D2, so the forums as a whole must want D2 the remake, right? Not really. The forums have a base of opinion as broad as the seas my friend, and trying to characterize what diablo fans here, or in general want, is a recipe for disaster.
I suppose, but I would spend countless sleepless nights just staring at the screen doing run after run after run. I loved D2 and had so many characters spanning over so many hours. I totally fine with the changes they've made. I just take it that some people think Blizzard is ruining their game.
09/15/2011 08:11 PMPosted by Static
The forums have a base of opinion as broad as the seas my friend, and trying to characterize what diablo fans here, or in general want, is a recipe for disaster.

Noted, but if you look closely the most discussed threads and high traffic threads are members of the community discussing these types of issues. Granted within those threads there are some defenders of the D3 changes (Myself included) but not many.
09/15/2011 08:11 PMPosted by Suu
Nostalgia is a powerful thing.
It's the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. Some people are afraid that any changes will hurt the gameplay experience we already know and love. Just note that most of those comments come from an outspoken minority.

They need to give Blizzard the benefit of the doubt. They're not trying to "sabotage" their own franchise, nor are they going to release a game that they think is bad; they have reasons for all these changes and they'll probably become more apparent once you start playing the game.

Now if only we could actually start playing the game...
I'd like too see a Diablo 2 patch to make it compatible with Bnet 2.0. So I can play it whilst seeing who is playing other games (wow, sc2 etc.) as well as being able to perma save characters on the account.
Nostalgia is a powerful thing. Diablo 2 holds a big place in a lot of players' heart, and it's hard to think that something that felt so much fun back then could be wrong today.

It's not a feeling of nostagia if you've consistently played the game for over a decade and still have active accounts playing you're all time favorite game.
Diablo 2, for all it's flaws, was still a very enjoyable game build on a foundation of fun concepts. I believe that many of the people that played the game are afraid that making changes to that foundation could cause Diablo 3 to lose some of the spark that made it fun.

Change can be a tough pill to swallow and even after release every one is going to have their own opinions on the state of the game and how it 'should' have been handled. All we can really do is get our hands on it and see if it's still 'Diablo', and by the looks of the beta footage I believe we haven't got any thing to worry about.
Nostalgia
Edited for spam.
It's the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. .

Except there were a lot of things broken in Diablo II.
09/15/2011 08:32 PMPosted by Jacka
why do doctors have to do like 8 years of schooling, but mechanics only have to pass a few courses from a community college?

So more mechanics will be responsible for putting people into hospitals, thus paying the salaries of the doctors.

What did I win?

That and people are generally afraid of change. Personally, I love change, even if it's in somethig that makes it hard to upgrade because there is a more difficult learning curve, i get right on it and figure everything out.

Change also makes this less dull, rather than doing the same thing over and over again.
09/15/2011 08:22 PMPosted by Ninja
It's not a feeling of nostagia if you've consistently played the game for over a decade and still have active accounts playing you're all time favorite game.

Just like a kid would say apples are his favourite fruit if he only ever grew up eating apples and potatoes.

Go try out raspberries man. You'll flip out.
Just like a kid would say apples are his favourite fruit if he only ever grew up eating apples and potatoes.

Go try out raspberries man. You'll flip out.

^This
I'm not gonna pay 60 bucks for the same game with different graphics.

I want the game to be different.