D3 Game Of The Year?

General Discussion
It won't make it to top 3, although it is a great game there's much better quality games coming out for the next 3 years.
I highly doubt it will, I think I would actually be surprised if it somehow managed to pull it off. That doesn't mean it won't be a fun game that put many hours into though
It has to come out this year in order to be Game of the Year. =P
09/19/2011 07:25 AMPosted by CrAzyrAge
Personally, I think Batman Arkham City is going to take game of the year again. That game is like a complete movie.

Horrible game.

Agreed. It looks nice, and it's well written, but it's such a static, scripted piece of junk with such mediocre gameplay.
Not a single game set to launch the rest of this year has shown anything that compares to Deus Ex: Human Revolution to me. CoD8, BF3, ugh... Skyrim. Seriously, someone explain to me why those games are any fun. And I like RPGs and fantasy, hell I've played over 3,000 hours of WoW, but I play Oblivion or FO3 and bore myself to death within 2 hours. They're SO BAD, why do people love them so much? Is it just because they've never played any good RPGs and the idea is novel to them?

D3 MIGHT top DXHR, but Blizz will seriously have to pull out all the stops.
I don't know if D3 will even make it out this year. If it does, I don't know if it will be early enough to be considered in this years game of the year. I think it will be between Dark Souls and Skyrim, which I plan on using both of those games to hold me over until this game comes out. If this game goes past Q1 2012, then I'll get to play Dragon's Dogma and Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.
Not a single game set to launch the rest of this year has shown anything that compares to Deus Ex: Human Revolution to me. CoD8, BF3, ugh... Skyrim. Seriously, someone explain to me why those games are any fun. And I like RPGs and fantasy, hell I've played over 3,000 hours of WoW, but I play Oblivion or FO3 and bore myself to death within 2 hours. They're SO BAD, why do people love them so much? Is it just because they've never played any good RPGs and the idea is novel to them?

Deus Ex was a good game but not great. The ending was also horrible.
Oooh tough call that one. There is also Skyrim too. Usually some rubbish like CoD wins the awards even though it is the same stuff as every other game. I am really hoping Diablo 3 can pick up some cool awards.

Elly
---------------------------
http://diablo.incgamers.com
The Unofficial Site Since 1997
D3 GOTY 2014!
BF3 will be game of the year. No doubt about it.

D3 will probably score modest 90% across the board. Possibly not even that high.

(Diablo 2 only scored around 85% on most sites. Diablo 3 is basically D2 with 3D graphics and Auction Houses. It doesn't redefine the ARPG genre at all. In fact, the RMAH will get more attention than the game itself most likely.)
If it doesnt even come out this year, how can it be game of the year?

Deus Ex won't even scratch the top 10. As much as it pains me to say, I'm expecting SquareEnix to be out of business in the next 5-7 years.

I mean, I'm glad you love Deus Ex, I'm enjoying it too, but there's nothing about the game that warrants Game of the Year. It's an extremely linear sandbox game with false elements of choice that do not impact the gameplay or story. The only thing the dialogue choices impact, is getting an achievement for persuading them. And the only time it's not incredibly linear, is when you get to Hengsha, and you have what, a couple random people that each give you a side quest? /twirlfinger

It's unfortunate, because it could have been an amazing game if Square spent a bit more on its development.

D3 will probably score modest 90% across the board. Possibly not even that high.

(Diablo 2 only scored around 85% on most sites. Diablo 3 is basically D2 with 3D graphics and Auction Houses. It doesn't redefine the ARPG genre at all. In fact, the RMAH will get more attention than the game itself most likely.)

Since when is 90% modest?
Too many games coming out to call it, no clue.
09/19/2011 09:34 AMPosted by Scourge

There is doubt, that's why you are seeing so many different games being brought to attention in this thread. As much as people hate to admit it popularity plays a huge role in how GOTY games are chosen. If the game is popular enough and scores high enough in terms of reviews then it is a potential GOTY winner. With that in mind games like Skyrim and MW3 have higher chances of winning just due to the sheer fact that they are more anticipated and will generally reach larger audiences than BF3 will.

Ignoring the ignorance of calling D3 Diablo 2 in 3d im going to address the early statement about Diablo 2's 85%.

If you go back and actually read the reviews you are going to notice a pattern, the year is 2000 and the graphics look abysmal, 640x480 resolution at that time was ridiculously low by anyone's standards and you will see most reviewers blasting Diablo 2 as graphically terrible due to the decision to stick with sprites that look downright muddy. You'll also see a lot of them talking about how short the game feels and how the re playability will be quite limited just due to the fact that no one knew how big of a monster hit the game would become with battle.net.

Games with this kind of polish and this much content backing as well as out of game features are very far and few in between and the reviews will reflect that. Expect 95%-90% across the board just for how much there is in the 60$ package on top of how well it is all implemented. SC2 didn't redefine the genre but it definitely came with enough to demand respect for the product and the reviews showcased this.

It will be either Skyrim, Battlefield 3, or Uncharted 3. All are jaw-dropping games so any one of those would not surprise me.
09/19/2011 07:28 AMPosted by Brunobyof
Of Which Year?

09/19/2011 09:43 AMPosted by Siccmade
I have a question for you guys. I think Skyrim will be a good game and fun but how can you possibly give game of the year to an offline game? It just doesn't do for me what an online RPG does it terms of excitement or longevity.

I get the longevity and the aspect of fun for online games (being able to play with friends is great and just makes games all the better), but if you take out your friends then they just turn into very average games for the most part. Don't get me wrong I still love online games, Diablo 2 and Borderlands have given me hours of awesome entertainment, but I feel that a game should be able to stand alone to be called a great game.