Just bought new ASUS laptop for Diablo 3

General Discussion
Prev 1 10 11 12 17 Next

My only concern is if I should keep using my old laptop for work and save this laptop strictly for games.

What do you all think? I don't want to slow this laptop down from over-browsing and using large programs like microsoft expression.
Unless you're looking a ton of images, getting viruses, playing flashgames all the time, or browse like 1000 sites a day...it will not slow you down. Just use Ccleaner once a week, malwarebytes now and then, and don't click stuff on facebook and you should be good... Everything about the computer being a rip off has been said so I won't say anything further.
Got a great deal on my Asus G53 on newegg for $939 after rebate. Specs are:

Sandy Bridge Quad Core i7-2630QM (2.0GHz) Sandy Bridge Processor
15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) LED Display,
10GB DDR3 1333MHz Memory (added a 4GB stick $22 bucks)
500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M 1.5GB GDDR5
USB 3.0 & Illuminated Keyboard included

For the money that's nothing that beats this notebook!

Please no need to compare your "powerful" desktop to notebooks, there's a reason why we need portable gaming rigs.
I built my computer 2 years ago and it's still better than anything listed in this thread.
It'll serve you well.. i guess. I don't understand why people get laptops for gaming though. I only see laptop useful for mobility.

I don't like laptop much(granted)... small screen, compact keyboard, no mouse. Also for half the price you can build a better desktop.

I think you bought a laptop at the worse possible place (Bestbuy, Futureshop, etc).

My final thoughts are... i think it'll do what you want it do, for 3x the price... and with many limitations.
09/17/2011 08:23 AMPosted by Parch
think you bought a laptop at the worse possible place (Bestbuy, Futureshop, etc).

I have to agree, you probably also did pay taxes , next time look at online retailers, you will get a much better deal and away with taxes! Other than that Asus build solid gaming notebooks, good choice.
+1 for ASUS G73

I have a separate laptop for the couch, and my G73 is my desktop replacement for home/work
keep your other laptop, even if just for backup hdd.
i can definitely see where everyone is coming from claiming desktop is a better investment in the long run

i have an asus laptop at the moment and it does require the power cord to be dragged along with it, it does get warm (i don't know if it will fry in a few years or not yet), and i am not too crazy about how they squished all the keys together on it (doesn't feel like a normal keyboard)

then again, i couldn't be sitting on my couch right now if i had a desktop, nor could i travel with my computer as i have frequently done

my next computer will be a desktop, but i have to admit that my laptop has served me well for the couple of years that i've had it. fortunately i didn't invest too much in it so when it inevitably starts having repair issues i can just scrap it and get a desktop
Computer talk is Just like Politics talk!

Everyone thinks they know everything, and in the midst of that you'll have some really smart people and others that don't actually know anything bashing one brand and hyping another, then another set of people who are well researched and people who aren't bash and hype the opposite brand.

Maybe, just maybe, every computer has its problems that arise down the road, and the people that like that brand ignore this, and the people that hate the brand exaggerate it.

But hey, maybe that's just me, someone who has nothing against PC, but is happy with his Mac because it has been very reliable and consistent for him.

And at least we can all agree that HP should just be a printer company because they can barely do that correctly :D
Being a former Best Buy computer sales associate I will never recommend Best Buy for anything. I will however wish you the best of luck on your machine, it is an Asus which is an excellent brand, just make sure you have a good anti-virus.

As for Geek Squad, funny story, one time they opened a machine to get inside and fix it and it was full of spiders lol.
Magnaminus
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm very happy with the purchase

That's the important part.

BTW you need a good CPU and GPU, not RAM. Before buying a laptop ask someone who knows about computers so he/she can recommend you one.
09/16/2011 09:41 PMPosted by Magnaminus
I have 8 GB Ram, thats still good for D3 isn't it? Computer is lightning fast.

The amount of RAM isn't going to help much.

Mainly getting a good CPU and GPU is what you want for gaming.

It won't take much to run d3 on max settings, so you should be fine.

I dunno why you spent a thousand on an Asus for gaming though, should have went with a customized desktop (build yourself, much cheaper).

The one guy that posted about Best Buy is absolutely right. Best buy is garbage, I used to work there too.

They'll tell you w/e they want to get you to buy something and the more warranties and stuff they get you to sign up the better it looks on them.
09/17/2011 09:47 AMPosted by Jon
I have 8 GB Ram, thats still good for D3 isn't it? Computer is lightning fast.

The amount of RAM isn't going to help much.

Mainly getting a good CPU and GPU is what you want for gaming.

It won't take much to run d3 on max settings, so you should be fine.

I dunno why you spent a thousand on an Asus for gaming though, should have went with a customized desktop (build yourself, much cheaper).

The one guy that posted about Best Buy is absolutely right. Best buy is garbage, I used to work there too.

They'll tell you w/e they want to get you to buy something and the more warranties and stuff they get you to sign up the better it looks on them.

For what its worth, you can get more from a desktop for a cheaper price but you cant take it somewhere very easily.

A gaming lap top is still a normal lap top, so even if he plays games in only one place he might still use word features and internet somewhere else.

In the end he paid for the ability to take his machine where he goes, for some people that's worth the extra money, I just think he could have got a better deal someplace else. With that said I wish the best for him and his machine.
As stated before, there is clearly a reason he got a laptop. I have a laptop for moderate gaming, like taking over to friend's houses and playing with them, and then I have my desktop for at home.
Got a great deal on my Asus G53 on newegg for $939 after rebate. Specs are:

Sandy Bridge Quad Core i7-2630QM (2.0GHz) Sandy Bridge Processor
15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) LED Display,
10GB DDR3 1333MHz Memory (added a 4GB stick $22 bucks)
500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M 1.5GB GDDR5
USB 3.0 & Illuminated Keyboard included

For the money that's nothing that beats this notebook!

Please no need to compare your "powerful" desktop to notebooks, there's a reason why we need portable gaming rigs.

Got mine for 792 AR no tax. when did you buy yours? I bought mine a couple of days ago
I love Best Buy, they sell the best stuff for you at a fair price! Nice buy!
All I'll say is that I'd never buy a laptop again unless I was traveling 80% of the time.

Under powered compared to desktops.
Limited upgrade ability.
Gimped graphics cards that are more than likely unchangeable.
Too expensive.

I either build a new computer or don't bother at all.

I also design Circuits and PCB's for manufacturing on my PC and it works better than any laptop I've seen for the following reasons:

Thermal Dissipation Ability
Overclocking if need be (Never had to)
Ease of Use

I've worked with the following professional programs in my career

SolidWorks 2010
Altium Designer R. 10
National Instruments Multisim
MathCad Prime 1.0 (If you know enough about computers you will know that direct math computation actually puts a lot more stress on your PC than regular gaming ((i.e. Prime95))

I have a i7 930
6 Gb of 1600 MHz 7 CAS RAM
Nvidia GTX 460
CM Heatsink/Fan/Tower
650 W PSU w/ 65 A on the +12V rail
Best Buy is an awesome store. Ask an employee to tell you about a computer, and quietly giggle at them as they read specs off the plaque and sound impressed by the integrated HD graphics chip. It's a ton of fun.