PvP: less sport? More games!

General Discussion
^ agreed.

Add content so the game lasts for years. Not so the "high school football players" can have a chance to be popular again.

If you wanna compete, go play COD. This game, and even WoW were meant PRIMARILY for PvE and adventuring. Thats what makes the game last. That's what brings in the revenue.

You can call us carebears all you want, but the game was meant for carebears. They added the small role of PvP so other people could try something different.
09/19/2011 03:27 PMPosted by Archvile

I begin to think that this Jay wilson is a real care bear. He seem totally afraid of everything that have to word "competitive" in it.

Probably because that's not why the game was made. Players are trying to turn it into something that its not. If you wanna compete so bad and focus on PvP, play something else. That's basically what they're saying. Even WoW wasn't made primarily for PvP. It's just a small necessary part.

However, to the OP....I like the "dungeon race" idea. That sounds pretty sweet.

You shouldn't add the arena in, and show it at blizzcon and post it on your site as a competitive environment. You also shouldn't explain the greatest idea ever for separating PvM abilities from PvP abilities. To show this and then take it away is what people are upset about. Competitive play should be available, and all they have to say is "here is your ladder we won't support an e-sport." It's not an unreasonable request.
It's called marketing. They know all the LOL I KILL BIG DRAGONS SO I CAN PVP BETTER kids will get excited....

and they have said they won't support an e-sport already...

This is not OUR game to say what we want and to redesign. It's Blizzard's. They put into it what they want to put into it, and hope we enjoy it. You can play it, or go play something else. It's that simple. You can't MAKE them make the game the way YOU want it.

I'm sure you guys would love to have a game with LOTS of PVP and LOTS of PVE and LOT of FPS and LOTS of mmo and LOTS of superweapons and LOTS of races all for no fees.

...go design it yourself.

I feel like people who never played sports in high school and beyond simply don't understand the draw that competition brings to something. I could not have played WoW without competitive PvP. I could not play Starcraft 2 without the competitive ladder ranking. This has nothing to do with e-peen. It's just more fun to compete against your fellow players in a fair environment and to see who is better.

Is this so wrong?

Let me give you another version of Highschool competitive sports:

The one where parents start to beat the crap out of each other, the one where kids are being screamed at because they missed a goal/basket/pass, the one where people are blowing things way out of proportion because apparently winning is everything in the world and losing means that you fail at your entire life and you will never amount to anything but a loser.

Oh! And if you are a winner? Awesome. Do better, they shouldn't even hold a candle to you, and anyone worse than you is simple a bug to be squashed and stepped on. Not even human. There's no "good sportsmanship" anymore. It's you win, or you lose, and if you help the loser then you're weak and FAIL!

^^ That's what competition does. That's the kind of mentality I don't want showing up in Diablo III. That's the kind of mentality I see in WoW PvP all the damn time.

You see that mentality in WoW PvP because you probably can't play at the same level a monkey can. That isn't how high school sports are. The only reason they are even remotely competitive is for the scholarships so schools can exploit young players and make millions off of them.
Love that instead of the rampant "QQ PvP" post you just make suggestions on making games that sound like amazing fun.

This is an awesome idea and really hope blizzard caters to this later down the road. Maybe making a "PvP/Game editor" for people to mess around and make games inside the original game that are competitive in nature, and obviously would not level you up or gear you out, just for pure enjoyment.

Your ideas sound like a lot of fun!
It's called marketing. They know all the LOL I KILL BIG DRAGONS SO I CAN PVP BETTER kids will get excited.

and they have said they won't support an e-sport already...

Programming a working portion of the game in, then dumbing it down is marketing? Casual deathmatch and last man standing with competitive ladders can co-exist. I think both would be fun. You don't have to get one or the other.
What if hardcore duals were like pink slips in car racing? Think about how INTENSE a HC dual would be if you got to keep the char you kill!

I feel like people who never played sports in high school and beyond simply don't understand the draw that competition brings to something. I could not have played WoW without competitive PvP. I could not play Starcraft 2 without the competitive ladder ranking. This has nothing to do with e-peen. It's just more fun to compete against your fellow players in a fair environment and to see who is better.

Is this so wrong?

Let me give you another version of Highschool competitive sports:

The one where parents start to beat the crap out of each other, the one where kids are being screamed at because they missed a goal/basket/pass, the one where people are blowing things way out of proportion because apparently winning is everything in the world and losing means that you fail at your entire life and you will never amount to anything but a loser.

Oh! And if you are a winner? Awesome. Do better, they shouldn't even hold a candle to you, and anyone worse than you is simple a bug to be squashed and stepped on. Not even human. There's no "good sportsmanship" anymore. It's you win, or you lose, and if you help the loser then you're weak and FAIL!

^^ That's what competition does. That's the kind of mentality I don't want showing up in Diablo III. That's the kind of mentality I see in WoW PvP all the damn time.

some people just want some replayabilityy out of it, give them something to do to keep playing. ive played single player games plenty and they get boring and u dont want to play them anymore after a while because nothing changes. pvp is a fun thing to do that passes time and lets u fight interesting opponents, not the same boss uve killed 4thousand times already.
09/18/2011 08:17 PMPosted by Suu
So we're all aware by now that PvP in Diablo 3 will not be an e-sports. It's been said by Jay Wilson himself (the real one!) more than once, and it's not something we can change now.

Yes it will be. And Blizzard cannot stop it!!! bwahahaahahaa..

But seriously, it's the way of today. Every games an E-sport. May not be supported by Blizzard, but you sure know others will hold compititions.
I wont say the OP is wrong in this idea - however this is one aspect of this that will probably abolish the concept.. They want D3 to be more about co-op / not competition, even if its PVM competition.

I know however that this is a decent idea - and probably in the future may offer up competition type games like this and toss out gold/loot as a reward for the winners.
(Im known to give away lots of loot at various times on D2) -- sometimes doing a competition in the game like this. last one i did, i gave a shako to whoever could find their way to andy in a norm game first. (all lower levels in there), following i rushed them into act2 - and went to WP at far oasis and dropped a 5-5 light facet -- told them where it was and waited till someone found it.

stuff like that can be fun- but i doubt it will be sponsored.
It's way too late for this, but if only there were a custom game mode like in warcraft3,sc1,sc2. Then we could design "maps" in other words, custom scenarios where we could do some misc things that wouldn't affect normal play.
09/19/2011 04:22 PMPosted by Zergling

I begin to think that this Jay wilson is a real care bear. He seem totally afraid of everything that have to word "competitive" in it.

What you call a carebear is what I call a descent human being.

Yea! People who like competition should be put to death because they are deplorable human beings.