corpse physics = moon physics?

General Discussion
Prev 1 14 15 16 22 Next
But overall, this is a fantasy game, our characters are awesome embodiments of awesomeness. Again if this sort of thing is game breaking for you, I think you might be playing the wrong genre. Game is far and away better than it's predecessor and is leaps and bounds *from what I've seen* greater than anything else out there for the genre. Personally won't care if they leave this *moon physics* the way it is.

See ya in Sanctuary!
I agree with the OP. Corpses should be heavier and slide less.
Also, destructible stuff should damage players too.
thanks for the reasoned posts, Whapa.
But still, what I am trying to say is that this is definetely Not a design choice from blizz, but lack of it. Implementing friction only adds to the overall visual experience, It is one of the rules of physics as is bodie being thrown flying around. With diablo 3 engine they certainly wanted to give the game more REALISM by adding physics effects (hence they are from real life...), altho they clearly forgot one. Friction in this particular case that is between corpses and the ground is almost completely only visual. It doesnt effect gameplay to any significant extent. Which is different than say, momentum aplied to the hero movement. If when clicking around to walk, your character had to first accelerate, maintain a constant running speed, and then deccelerate to come to a halt for attacking, well, that would look much more realistic and thus better looking, BUT could radically change gameplay, making it last fast paced. And then i would understand all the kids raging against OP and saying blizz is god and diablo 3 is the holy son (lol) in all its perfection.
Yet most people here dont seem to understand that a more complex physics system implemented for the visual part of the game can only make it look better, beliveable and more badass by the NATURE of the genre, which IS already badass. Diablo 3 is certainly not a cartoon meant for kids, but lack of friction can only tend it to that feel.
Sanctuary is a smaller world and therefor has less gravity than earth...
From what I've seen- concerning enemies with knockback, if they've coded for F=ma, and Friction = umg and given common enemies a constant m, then they had it working the way they wanted while the enemy is alive. They then decided that it would be cool to see the corpses fly on a kill, so they lowered g on death, that would be the cause for the slow fall, and the slide. Was probably (sorry, I should give them more coding credit)- it may possibly been an unintentional code by Blizzard, but decided to keep it in after they saw its affects.

Nonetheless, if they fell faster and if a certain height was reached by them (aka frame counter to count while they zombies are in the air reaches a set number), then they would explode on impact- would be an awesome addition. I wouldnt mind seeing a *bash that ends up knocking back* kill blow just turn the enemy into what Rose described Charlie Harper's death, and having that float around in space for a while.

Also, I care about this a lot less than I may have let on :)
I like how the bodies go flying. =(
Games usually forgo realistic weight and friction just so !@#$ flies a mile when you hit it. I guess it's more fun in end.
I don't care much for realism in my games.

When I see the barbarian hit someone with a hammer and they fly into space with blood splattering over any object they hit I enjoy it.
I understand that this is not a make or break kind of thing for the game. I respect Whapa's opinion and how he stated. But I can't respect these people who say in complete ignorance that they don't care for realism. We are asking for realism according to Sanctuary, not according to Earth. Thats like saying in the world of Superman who cares if in one episode Kryptonite hurts him and another he eats it and grows muscles. Kryptonite isn't real and we don't care about realism.

Adding more realistic physics to the game (not reducing the force that the barbarian uses) would make the game more "awesome" and epic in my, and many other's, opinions. Yes it isn't needed but neither are great graphics and yet they make the game better. If it can't make it in the game thats fine, but the generation of a more and more realistic physics engine is a money making business and has been for a while. Don't know why some idiots are trolling that it is unneeded and somehow "nerdy" which translates to bad when throughout the entire video game history it has been something designers have tried to make better and better.
@Themisto/Rhasta
Agreed, that the better the physics the better the visual appeal, the more awesome the gameplay. Personally, if it is cleaned up, great. But I do hope they don't take out the flight of mobs that just got pwned. :) To me it really clears up the area around the character which I thought was a good change from D2
@Themisto/Rhasta
Agreed, that the better the physics the better the visual appeal, the more awesome the gameplay. Personally, if it is cleaned up, great. But I do hope they don't take out the flight of mobs that just got pwned. :) To me it really clears up the area around the character which I thought was a good change from D2

bodies already slowly dissipate though.
More realistic gravity would be nice. Most games seem to flat out abuse Havok. Wish a vote could be taken.
09/20/2011 08:59 PMPosted by Ghobe
I'm pretty sure Force hit a guy that hasn't come back down yet....yes, it's a little ridiculous. I wouldn't mind this if he was hitting them for like 20-30x+ their max health, but he's BARELY one shotting them, and some 2 shotting, and still getting the same effect. I think it needs toned down.....a lot.

why you trolling the physics of the game lol, i love them,it looks fun
Hmm, given the corpse are dead wouldn't they act heavier after they reach 0hp. My reasoning for this is the dead weight effect when you relax your body or go unconscious.
how about all you guys try creating your own physics engens and your own games so people can talk about how perfect your world is, and how you eat dimonds for breckfest,

i think the game is fine the way it is, it looks fun really fun, you relly going to worry about how many (game yards) a (game body) is going to fly?
your all delutional
But still, what I am trying to say is that this is definetely Not a design choice from blizz, but lack of it. Implementing friction only adds to the overall visual experience, It is one of the rules of physics as is bodie being thrown flying around. With diablo 3 engine they certainly wanted to give the game more REALISM by adding physics effects (hence they are from real life...), altho they clearly forgot one. Friction in this particular case that is between corpses and the ground is almost completely only visual. It doesnt effect gameplay to any significant extent. Which is different than say, momentum aplied to the hero movement. If when clicking around to walk, your character had to first accelerate, maintain a constant running speed, and then deccelerate to come to a halt for attacking, well, that would look much more realistic and thus better looking, BUT could radically change gameplay, making it last fast paced. And then i would understand all the kids raging against OP and saying blizz is god and diablo 3 is the holy son (lol) in all its perfection.
Yet most people here dont seem to understand that a more complex physics system implemented for the visual part of the game can only make it look better, beliveable and more badass by the NATURE of the genre, which IS already badass. Diablo 3 is certainly not a cartoon meant for kids, but lack of friction can only tend it to that feel.

this

this

This.
Your telling me that your bloody torso wouldn't slide on the ground after its been cut in half? The body parts slide because of the hemorrhaging, like riding a wave with a surf board, (when the wave dies(the blood) the ride ends) the torso(the surf board)) The friction works fine, lets see you step on a tile or stone floor covered in blood and try not to slip and bust your !@#, its common sense.

Even blood on grass you will still slip because the texture of the grass, though its a bit abrasive grass can still be smooth and glossy at time, like snow or ice on grass, blood on snow begins to become a solid state and blood on ice, self explanatory.
So assuming that this is a game, but comparing physix to real life in which blizzard was trying to nail. The human body is made up of 55% blood in volume(Plasma), 92% of water included, Blood hardens when it reaches outside the body, which in this process that blood is coagulated so instantly the blood begins to thicken, but unlike water blood will take time to hemorrhage outside the body because of its thickness, so yes at the strength of the explosion and its momentum it provides the torso will begin to slide as if it is on ice, but only until the torso has reached a point to where it no longer contains blood. However the physix from an explosion and body parts falling should take no more than 3-5 seconds to hit the ground, depending on the size of and strength of the explosion, gravity should be increased only slightly. Keep in mind from game play you are seeing the game from and angle, so they have to measure the distance from what the camera sees and the actual base in which the character stands.
Good god, its disturbing the player base has to even 'inform' Blizzard of this. Agreed, physics are over done. No wonder the game got delayed...

maybe they could give us some options for physics -

1. Normal
2. Exaggerated
3. Who wants to go to the Moon? (beta)