Destructible environment need love..

General Discussion
Make destructible environments hurt players as well.

Discuss
That would make pick up groups unplayable.
only downside is griefing potential, which I happen to think is the reason why it doesn't hurt players.
Exactly. If you do that, where does it stop? Does Plague of Toads damage other players too? Or, oops my whirlwind got out of control, sorry!

Lets just keep it how it is.
I agree, destructible environments should hurt players right from the start but theFAILtrain has a very good point, griefing would be a problem.
I don't want to die to a falling bookshelf in hardcore.
I'd say the OP should offer a compelling reason why this should be done. Outside of 'just because'. Or someone, if anyone would agree with this. I don't see any compelling reason for it, given it will just cause problems that don't help the core gameplay.
09/22/2011 05:07 AMPosted by weaknurse

Oh diety of choice, I lol'd.

This post alone justifies the HC graveyard thread and OP's suggestion.

If I don't see at least one person with an HC profile that has a character marked as "Killed by: Bookshelf," D3 is a failure.
09/22/2011 05:07 AMPosted by weaknurse

Imagine the rage... to find out a Scroll of Identity landed on your head from a falling bookshelf, thus causing you to die in HC...
Diablo 1 had friendly fire. Why can't Diablo 3? :D
So your all afraid of griefing...... are you really going to be that bad, that you are going to be hit by those rocks?

The point is that it is first and foremost, realistic, and seconly it is adds a fun factor to the gamplay, "OH !@#$ DONT GET HIT!!!! MAAHAHAUAHAHAAH GOERGE DIED ROFLEROFL".....
Need to clear up some things, when talkign about destructible environments, i mean the ones used to kill npc's, for example a leaning pile of rocks held up by a board that you use to take out baddies.. not the falling bookshelves etc -.-
I think they should hurt players... I don't play with random people, and if I did and someone tried to dirtbag me repeatedly, I'd just leave and not play with them again... Having a couple hundred pound chandelier fall on your head and not even take 5hp damage is pretty lame. There's an idea, why not just nominal damage?
You should take environmental damage. It doesn't have to be a LOT, but you should want to avoid what you're using to kill a pack of zombies. +1'ed.

(Also major lols @ HC char killed by: bookshelf. NEEDS to happen. XD)
im down for this. its like the exploding barrels in D2.
So your all afraid of griefing...... are you really going to be that bad, that you are going to be hit by those rocks?

The point is that it is first and foremost, realistic, and seconly it is adds a fun factor to the gamplay, "OH !@#$ DONT GET HIT!!!! MAAHAHAUAHAHAAH GOERGE DIED ROFLEROFL".....

You misunderstand, I am not "afraid" of greifing, I just feel that is probably the reason they decided to make it not to damage to players, I personally will be playing mostly by myself and with friends with a little pubby action in between.
While it's a good idea in theory, it's a bad one in practice. Aside from several replies posting on the griefing potential in groups you have to worry about killing yourself with it. I mean, look at it this way, you're surrounded against a destructible wall you can bring down on your foes and your low health. You hit the supports it falls but you can't get anywhere and you die to. Imagine that on hardcore? Cheap deaths abound.

I wouldn't mind it doing 1-3 points of damage. Something that says, 'Hey, you just got hit by a wall.' But not enough that people will be tempted to do it on purpose to hurt their melee buddy because they think it's funny.