Adding WASD Controls?

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 6 Next
WASD wouldn't work well with Diablo unless you have a multi-button mouse

You have to move your WASD movement hand off of the movement keys to use 1-2-3-4-5-6

Probably would only take an hour or two to code though so might as well. Still, Blizzard is kind of lazy and won't.

because people dont do this in other games right? look at how close the WASD keys are to the 123456 keys, now tell me, how many fingers do you have? yes thats right FIVE, there are FOUR keys you will be using one to move at the most time, now how many fingers do you have free to press 1-2-3-4-5 or 6?

I'm not sure it would be as easy as you think to move and use the 1-6 hotkeys. Also yes you have 5 fingers but do you really use your pinky and thumb to press anything other than space bar, ctrl, and L shift? since you can't cast and move at the same time i don't see a need for WASD. Also people make it sound like it takes 5 seconds to move the mouse from one end of the screen to the other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAfsNu7m7cg&feature=player_detailpage#t=502s
It would be like trying to lick your elbow every time you want to aim.
10/13/2011 12:54 PMPosted by Cyborg
There should still be an option ... for WASD ... I think they don't want to program a 360 view... so we can't turn the screen like other mmorpgs

They built the game from the ground up to have a fixed isometric point of view just like the previous Diablo titles. 8 possible directions of movement does not work well for this style of game. Yes, it works well for 3rd Person and 1st person games because the A and D keys can be used for turning your character. Turning a character does not translate well with a fixed isometric point of view.

To previous posters: This has absolutely nothing to do with any difficulty associated with pressing the number keys to use skills while moving. Look at various MMOs where you have WASD movement and skills hot-keyed to the number keys.
WASD control would add development time (facing animations, start/stop control etc.) for an inferior method of control. Blizzard is all about polish and games feeling intuitive and smooth, WASD control would feel clunky and Blizzard will almost certainly not put it into the game.
To stay on topic:

If for some reason a joystick DID feel better (I don't think i personally would enjoy it as much), then they should just include the ability to use a 360 pad.

Jay Wilson was quoted as saying that since D3 felt really good on a dual analog controller that we can expect the PC version to be updated with controller support in the future. I can't find the quote at the moment (been looking for it >.<) however the development of the feature is linked to the D3 console project.
Jay Wilson was quoted as saying that since D3 felt really good on a dual analog controller that we can expect the PC version to be updated with controller support in the future. I can't find the quote at the moment...

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/09/21/blizzards-diablo-3-experiments-%E2%80%9Coh-this-feels-even-better-with-direct-control%E2%80%9D/

There are several articles quoting the same interview it seems.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=jay+wilson+console+controller
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAfsNu7m7cg&feature=related
9:05 WASD question answered by Jay Wilson
We played around with WASD, and it actually it doesn't feel very good because it's only four directions and there's a lot more granularity to how you move the character with a mouse so we felt like it was a very a vastly inferior control scheme for how the game played. We didn't want to support something that we felt was not a good control scheme. At Blizzard controls are everything, we put an enormous amount of time and energy into them, so supporting multiple, especially when one of them is obviously not the way most people are going to play and is not the way we want people to play, is not something we try to do.

He rambles a bit, I didn't quote the 'umms' because I didn't want to break the u key on my keyboard.
I prefer keyboard movement controls, but don't tell any of my WOW guildies because they mock and ridicule "keyboard turners" as being noobs. That being said the Diablo movement interface is ridiculously outdated. Point and click to move is awkward as hell, but I don't mind the hold mouse button/drag method.
I would just like to add that I played something recently (mythos?) where you could use both the mouse and WASD for movement simultaneously, the game sucked but...

The control scheme worked very well. You could play in the traditional diablo style or if you wanted you could use the WASD keys to retreat or reposition while activating skills with the mouse. IMO it was faster and more intuitive than clicking to reposition and activate skills at the same time.

All I know is if we had WASD controls my wrists wouldn't get so achy from playing. The more movement the better :x
09/23/2011 06:28 AMPosted by Jman
This would have no effect on players who prefer the old style of clicking a mouse on the ground and moving to that spot.

Wrong. This is impossible. Direct Control vs. Mouse clicking is one of those things (like stat distribution and skill trees) that has one more correct answer. Any game for which such an option exists one way of playing is always better (yes, there are a FEW outliers who manage to play successfully and even prefer the other way, just like there are players who achieve great success outside of Cookie-Cutter builds).

Honestly, I don't care which way they go, and I'm not opposed to them offer a choice (even if it does end up being a mostly illusionary one), but don't say it will have no effect.
I hope wasd controls make it in as an option, will allow me to play for longer without getting hand cramps (i use a trackball, and still d2 gives me hand cramps)
10/13/2011 04:25 PMPosted by Kurnis
as to being "inferior", you obviously havent ever used it, or you only have 2 fingers on your left hand.

Jay Wilson and the Blizzard design team deemed it inferior.

10/13/2011 05:17 PMPosted by CondaMagoo
I hope wasd controls make it in as an option

They've said no, they're not going to develop it.

Wrong. This is impossible. Direct Control vs. Mouse clicking is one of those things (like stat distribution and skill trees) that has one more correct answer. Any game for which such an option exists one way of playing is always better (yes, there are a FEW outliers who manage to play successfully and even prefer the other way, just like there are players who achieve great success outside of Cookie-Cutter builds).

Honestly, I don't care which way they go, and I'm not opposed to them offer a choice (even if it does end up being a mostly illusionary one), but don't say it will have no effect.

I have to agree. Jay Wilson does too. As it turns out using dual analog sticks is the way he prefers the game to be played. Luckily for us PC gamers, Blizzard is developing the game for the consoles which will lead to them to fully developing the control scheme and then porting the dual analog stick functionality to the PC build. Though he did say this would be after the PC game launches.
09/23/2011 07:23 AMPosted by GeminiEclips
You use left hand for movement, up to 4 abilities, and potions, while mouse only controls aiming and a couple skills. Makes it hard to move and use the other 4 abilities at the same time without some really good coordination.

if u cant move with left hand while using more than 4 buttons for abilities then spot playing PC games...... srsly