Loot Superstition.

General Discussion
I used to carry around the nagelring, and the other low level unique ring when gambling for sojs' believing it would help my chances. I have a friend that wouldn't touch a single piece of loot that dropped until he killed Mephisto and was certain it increased his drops lol..
Anyone else have strange patterns or thoughts on different loot theories?
I theorize, the more things you kill the more loot you get!

In Diablo 2 I would always kill Andy, The Trav, Mephisto, Diablo, and then Baal. Seemed like I would get better drops in general doing them all. Good thing about Diablo 3 is going to be "INFERNO"! You won't have to farm bosses.. Blizzard wants us to experience the entire game so they want every mob throughout Inferno to drop items equally as often.
whenever i saw a unique ring i wouldnt use a scroll on it i would use cain for a better chance at a SOJ.
Theres a difference between a theory and superstition.

When I first started my MF Sorc, i was a firm believer that MF actually decreased your chances of getting decent yellows, greens, and uniques.

And then i read a guide, and i have had my beloved chancies ever since :)
sorry i think "Random is random"
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3196022003

First boss kills always help tho
Well, some would say that what you send out into the universe comes back to you. If you believe something will happen it may just happen. You know, having a positive outlook and all that. (Some may call it 'praying to the loot gods' or 'karma'.)

And other would say it's all just math, ratios, percent and chance.

And still others would be clutching that lucky rabbits foot or putting their left sock on first always always always.

Whatever works for you. I have always been under the assumption if I don't stress on it things seem to just happen naturally. Don't DEPEND on X dropping from Z, don't worry about it. Just let it happen.
09/22/2011 10:56 AMPosted by Damouse
Theres a difference between a theory and superstition.

hahaha! A close friend has told me the same thing many times.
So say you get a unique ring, is that ring what it is before it is identified or does the roll happen during the identification?
Actually the whole soj thing used to be like that in d2 classic. If you had a nagelring and a manald heal on you while gambling you would always get an soj if you gambled a unique. On top of this the % chance to get a unique from a gamble was substantially higher. It's the whole reason gambling was nerfed to begin with. Farm an area saturated with mobs for quick money (usually flayer jungle), get a few million gold, gamble for rings and there was about a 90% chance you were going to get an soj, I was getting one or two per day before the nerf.

However currently it really is random.

OT: I would identify things right when I picked them up hoping for better quality. The faster I ID'd something the better chance at them being what I wanted =p I would also barely skim my cursor over the item and be sure not to linger over it cause that was also bad luck.
09/22/2011 11:10 AMPosted by Maestro
So say you get a unique ring, is that ring what it is before it is identified or does the roll happen during the identification?

i think its already decided i might be getting mixed up as it was a long time ago but
i once id a random blue and game disconected so i got rolled back and in the next game i id it again and it was the same
I never did a loot run without PERFECT GEM ACTIVATED.
I used to carry around the nagelring, and the other low level unique ring when gambling for sojs' believing it would help my chances. I have a friend that wouldn't touch a single piece of loot that dropped until he killed Mephisto and was certain it increased his drops lol..
Anyone else have strange patterns or thoughts on different loot theories?

You know, your first superstition is based on reality. In the early days of D2, a unique item could not drop if one was already in the game. Hence "unique." and also, when gambling you had a fairly high chance of gambling a unique back then (something like 1/50 I think). So a lot of people amassed sojs back then, by holding Nagelring / Manald heel, and gambling for rings until they got a soj.

09/22/2011 11:10 AMPosted by Maestro

It's decided when it drops. It's given an ilvl based on the mlvl thatdropped it, which in turn determined which item it is.
I used to play on bnet single player (locked game by myself) because I was convinced playing online gave me better quality items, and more of them.

I plan on doing the same thing for D3 because even though I know better, I'm stubborn :D
I remember getting yelled at for opening a TP in mephs room before killing him. So from that day on, I did not open a TP on the boss levels thinking that would help my odds of getting a better drop.
09/22/2011 10:55 AMPosted by Presenex
whenever i saw a unique ring i wouldnt use a scroll on it i would use cain for a better chance at a SOJ.

lol I was the exact opposite. I got it in my head that Cain was screwin me over and tellin me this soj is really just a nagel ring, so I'll go sell it to Akara, and they split the profits.
Scrolls all the way for me :P
I've got a pair of 'Magic Find' undies that haven't been washed since D2 was released..

Does that count?

The question is, have they been unwashed just because you never really wore them, or have they been unwashed cause you've been wearing them all that time.

I knew a guy who had a name similar to yours at one point, I'm pretty sure he never did change his lucky pants.