Different mode for the followers?

General Discussion
Why isn't there a passive, defensive and aggressive mode for the followers? I was watching a few live streams and youtube videos and I noticed that the followers doesn't always follow you. If there is a pack of mobs that you want to avoid the follower will go attack them while you are going to the next loaction.
I tihnk it comes down to what skills you pick for them. The templar has a heal, taunt and so on. So if you wanted to make it basicaly a tank you can. Or you could pick all his damaging attacks and make him offensive. And form what i understand about the enchantress(Or hwat ever the followers called) is that she will have the options of debuffs and buffs, so there is a passive one. So in short i tihnk it will be more based off how you want your followers builds to be with effect there agression levels in game.
09/22/2011 08:16 AMPosted by AdmiralZooze
I tihnk it comes down to what skills you pick for them. The templar has a heal, taunt and so on. So if you wanted to make it basicaly a tank you can. Or you could pick all his damaging attacks and make him offensive. And form what i understand about the enchantress(Or hwat ever the followers called) is that she will have the options of debuffs and buffs, so there is a passive one. So in short i tihnk it will be more based off how you want your followers builds to be with effect there agression levels in game.
Okay that's good to know. Maybe at the current level and the type of follower (templar) during the beta he always seemed to attack the mobs. I just didn't want to be in a position where the follower would go attack a pack of mobs that I wanted to avoid and the know I have to deal with them.
Who would want to avoid mobs anyway? The whole point of this game is to murder all the monsters you see so they drop items and gold for you.
09/22/2011 08:32 AMPosted by Seytan
Who would want to avoid mobs anyway? The whole point of this game is to murder all the monsters you see so they drop items and gold for you.
People who just are running dungeons to get loot from bosses only and not have to worry about dealing with trash?
Because they are followers not pets?
Are you new to Diablo games, Askari?
Blizzard had said that the followers were only meant to be useful in normal mode. I don't think they're supposed to be like a mercenary where they have a monetary interest in protecting and following you around at all times. They just catch up to you and work with you most of the time. I imagine they get slaughtered on nightmare and beyond.
09/22/2011 08:49 AMPosted by Friendzee
Blizzard had said that the followers were only meant to be useful in normal mode. I don't think they're supposed to be like a mercenary where they have a monetary interest in protecting and following you around at all times. They just catch up to you and work with you most of the time. I imagine they get slaughtered on nightmare and beyond.

Blizzard later stated you will be able to either select a passive that makes them usefull in nm and hell or pay some gold sink amount for each difficulty.