Solution: Create a PVP server

General Discussion
I don't know why all this anger for or against PVP PK PKK and what not.

When you create a character, you get the option of whether you want him in pvp or pve server.

I mean there is obviously demand for it and there is obviously people that don't enjoy it, so why not give both what they want. I guaranty you that the pvp server will be just as full as the pve servers, if not more!

Whoever hates pvp, There is absolutly ZERO reason you can come up with against such a concept. If you do not wish to get hostiled or fight in such dangerous enviroment, then pve is your servers.

I believe that the reason there is no pvp in Diablo is because they have pushed away all the original diablo creators out of the company and they were probably the ones that believed in it as a core. Thus you have all this new talent working on a game with other intentions in mind.

blizzard has already stated they dont want to split the player base more than it already is with hardcore and normal. Hardcore, normal, hardcore pvp, normal pvp, would be splitting the players to thin making a screwy economy and thats not good when real money is involved.
From someone who plays games just for the multiplayer pvp aspects of it.

From someone who has played diablo since release.

Diablo is not a pvp game, i think it's one of the dumbest concepts of pvp that have ever been thought of and listed as something with "pvp content"

You have arena, you don't have ganking. Be happy there just isn't pvp at all. And yes, most of the people want to justify ganking as a form of pvp but that's just you being a chin beard troll.

Not a pvp game in orientation does not mean it cannot have the ability to have PVP, and have the tools for pvp accessible to players.
It just means it won't be the main focus, aka them balancing crap, creating pvp gear and bgs etc...

Yea.. alot of people on this forum, which is very small compared to the actual independent d2 boards, agree that arena is a good thing. Oh look, its also populated by WoW players, hm, no bias there. Arena may be a cool idea, but simply because its a cool thing doesn't mean it should be the only form of pvp available.

There aren't different forms of PVP. There is only 1 form, slay the other character. Why do you need to do this in the dungeon? What's wrong with simply doing this action in an arena?

Because maybe I do not want to have to wait in a que, or have to do it as a team?
You mistook what i said, or i didn't communicate it clear enough. There are different structures for pvp. Arena is a strict one, hostile a very loose one.
Not a pvp game in orientation does not mean it cannot have the ability to have PVP, and have the tools for pvp accessible to players.
It just means it won't be the main focus, aka them balancing crap, creating pvp gear and bgs etc...

Yep and there will be a very nice Arena option for those interested in PvP.
[quote]
And yes, I think your post regarding circlejerking actually applies to you. I can easily go to D2jsp, which is like 50xtimes larger than this board, and get a whole bunch of people to state their preferences when it comes to diablo. This forum is incredibly biased, partly because its filled with WoW players. You think you have the majority, I can tell you with confidence you don't. Even d2jsp and all the other trading forums don't constitute a majority(well maybe they do by now with players quitting and EVERYONE using d2jsp now...) You may be right that its hard to quantify and qualify who wants what, but there are certainly ways of indicating who wants what.

And even if the majority wants X, there is no reason why Y can't be implemented when Z wants it if it doesn't affect X.

Blizzard already stated your not enough to care about !

Yep and there will be a very nice Arena option for those interested in PvP.

How does this invalidate anything I have said. Does arena have to be "Just enough"?
And yes, I think your post regarding circlejerking actually applies to you. I can easily go to D2jsp, which is like 50xtimes larger than this board, and get a whole bunch of people to state their preferences when it comes to diablo. This forum is incredibly biased, partly because its filled with WoW players. You think you have the majority, I can tell you with confidence you don't. Even d2jsp and all the other trading forums don't constitute a majority(well maybe they do by now with players quitting and EVERYONE using d2jsp now...) You may be right that its hard to quantify and qualify who wants what, but there are certainly ways of indicating who wants what.

And even if the majority wants X, there is no reason why Y can't be implemented when Z wants it if it doesn't affect X.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_bias

The point I was trying to make was that PvP in Diablo 2 was already consensual. You never had to be killed by another player if you didn't want to. The same thing is happening in Diablo 3. It will just be coming to you in a different shape.
09/27/2011 06:46 AMPosted by Binned
How does this invalidate anything I have said. Does arena have to be "Just enough"?

Invalidate? You're looking too far into words. That's my opinion. If you're for those servers that will split the community, feel free to be. I'll even give you a cookie for voicing your opinion. But don't put words in my mouth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_bias

The point I was trying to make was that PvP in Diablo 2 was already consensual. You never had to be killed by another player if you didn't want to. The same thing is happening in Diablo 3. It will just be coming to you in a different shape.

Then I misread it, probably due to a bit of skim on my part. Yes I know my samples would be biased as well. However, there would be a sheer volume of players that definitely exceed the # of players on this forum, and would likely constitute a majority of opinion. However Blizz doesn't care about(Again, what i believe) to be the majority opinion and wants and seems determined to take the game in a different direction.

09/27/2011 06:48 AMPosted by Nsanity

Invalidate? You're looking too far into words. That's my opinion. If you're for those servers that will split the community, feel free to be. I'll even give you a cookie for voicing your opinion. But don't put words in my mouth.

IMO your opinion was too vague for me to do anything but to try and guess where you were going. If you're worried that the game will be too small because pvp servers will split everyone up, its a legitimate concern. Hence why I prefer hostile to pvp servers =/.
09/27/2011 06:39 AMPosted by Binned

All those quotes... of people agreeing that arenas are a very good solution for PvP and that it has a LOT of potential.

Yea.. alot of people on this forum, which is very small compared to the actual independent d2 boards, agree that arena is a good thing. Oh look, its also populated by WoW players, hm, no bias there. Arena may be a cool idea, but simply because its a cool thing doesn't mean it should be the only form of pvp available.

by all means refrain from purchasing the game please.

If you are who your name says you are, you still at 100kfg from all the "MFING" you'd been doing for years?

137 k :)
i am down 19 k because i bought $200 gamestop giftcard with some fg on the donor forum. now to work on getting a new computer from my d2 trading

If you are who your name says you are, you still at 100kfg from all the "MFING" you'd been doing for years?

i am down 19 k because i bought $200 gamestop giftcard with some fg on the donor forum. now to work on getting a new computer from my d2 trading

Wow, I quit d2jsp like 2 years ago. I haven't gone back since. Still sitting on 10k fg, which will be grossly devalued and won't be worth anything when there is so much fg floating about.
Because maybe I do not want to have to wait in a que, or have to do it as a team?
You mistook what i said, or i didn't communicate it clear enough. There are different structures for pvp. Arena is a strict one, hostile a very loose one.

There were 2 varieties of PVP in D2. The first would be to create a "Duelzzz" game and have people show up, and people would battle it out. The arena will replace this is such a better way with a matchmaking feature, and the possibility of expanding on it.

The second was the high level A-hole declaring hostile and ganking lowbies trying to do a tris run. By not having the hostile feature, this problem goes away.

Unless I'm missing something, there wasn't much else in the way of PVP in D2. How is the new arena system preventing you from doing any of the PVP functions that the hostile system has?

I think a really good idea is to have a duel option like in wow, so you can test out some items or new skills while in a public game and see how they would do in PVP. Beyond that there is no reason to have PVP in the world environment.

Wow, I quit d2jsp like 2 years ago. I haven't gone back since. Still sitting on 10k fg, which will be grossly devalued and won't be worth anything when there is so much fg floating about.

well a lot of game are supported by d2jsp. but that is the reason i got the df access to get rid of the fg for something i can actually use :)
09/27/2011 06:52 AMPosted by Achilles
I think a really good idea is to have a duel option like in wow

Watch out! Your opinion will be considered "biased" for having played WoW!

/facepalm

Sounds like people now use the WoW excuse whenever they can to get away from having a better argument to defend their opinion. Also, playing WoW seems to be the new "insult" and a way to say that someone isn't a "True Diablo Fan".
I don't know why all this anger for or against PVP PK PKK and what not.

When you create a character, you get the option of whether you want him in pvp or pve server.

I mean there is obviously demand for it and there is obviously people that don't enjoy it, so why not give both what they want. I guaranty you that the pvp server will be just as full as the pve servers, if not more!

Whoever hates pvp, There is absolutly ZERO reason you can come up with against such a concept. If you do not wish to get hostiled or fight in such dangerous enviroment, then pve is your servers.

I believe that the reason there is no pvp in Diablo is because they have pushed away all the original diablo creators out of the company and they were probably the ones that believed in it as a core. Thus you have all this new talent working on a game with other intentions in mind.

Let me try and clear up something, and perhaps explain something too.

In an MMO you have different servers which you log into to play...
Azeroth
Humantown
Orcville

you also only interact directly with people on the same server as you.

In Diablo, you have several different servers most likely hosting many different games... You don't log into a specific one each time.

So the need for specific PvP servers is redundant. Now... If you want to talk about specifically flagged PvP/PvE games, thats different.

I see no reason why blizzard should not implement a feature to allow those who want to pvp random people a way of doing so that doesn't interfere with PvE only games.

Hey, lets go tell the creator of Left4Dead to make their future Left4Dead game have PvP~

True Diablo fan co-ops another hero to kill the demon who threatens the sanctuary.
09/27/2011 07:01 AMPosted by Tony
I see no reason why blizzard should not implement a feature to allow those who want to pvp random people a way of doing so that doesn't interfere with PvE only games.

Maybe something like an arena? Hey that's a really good idea.
So the need for specific PvP servers is redundant. Now... If you want to talk about specifically flagged PvP/PvE games, thats different.

This. Going to have to agree with this here. I liked my idea, but this one seems good, too.
Instead of having a Hostile option in a PvE game, just have the ability to make a PvP game, with some team-building options, FFA, etc. There would be little-to-no PvE content in these PvP games, just open PvP, where the skills can be set to their PvP stats and all would be right in the world.

People get Arena, people get their gank-free PvE, and people get their open PvP for duels and whatnot. It's a win-win all around (again, except for the PK'ers, but we don't like them, anyways).
Yes, the arena, or even specific PvP specific games. I'm not 100% sure how the arena works, and PvP games would be actually probably pretty close to the same thing now that I think about it, since you would always be hostile =D

I think a really good idea is to have a duel option like in wow

Watch out! Your opinion will be considered "biased" for having played WoW!

/facepalm

Sounds like people now use the WoW excuse whenever they can to get away from having a better argument to defend their opinion. Also, playing WoW seems to be the new "insult" and a way to say that someone isn't a "True Diablo Fan".

I have played both. There is something about WoW players that differentiate them significantly from people who have played diablo. Its typically attitude, but they also think typically think they should import WoW into diablo, as if Diablo wasn't good enough to stand on its own. "Agreeing" to a duel is kind of annoying. Hostile was still better.
And yes, the point about PVP or PVE games is a better way to talk about this.

And again, I don't really have anything against the existence of arena. Only that I think we should have the option to individualize it. I don't want to have to find a teammate, so unless there are going to be 1v1 arenas or FFA, i think hostiling/widespread duel games should be incorporated.