wizard build, "the shotgun"

Wizard
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#iZjdYb!UVg!cZYcZb

I was discussing sleet storm in general and I ended up tossing together a wizard build all about using short range abilities to kill enemies up close. This isn't a melee wizard build, but fans of melee wizards might be interested in this too.

The general idea of the build is to constantly teleport everywhere to sustain the damage reduction buff (the cooldown on teleport is the same duration as the mitigation buff you get for teleporting), and a crystallizing ice armor spell will make you very durable the more you are struck. Should something go wrong and you take more damage than expected, arcane anomaly will give you some emergency breathing room to give you a chance to make your escape.

The best part of this build is shock pulse. Not only is this ability great for restoring AP if you rune for it, but at point blank it's one of the hardest hitting single target spells available to you . It's also spammable, and by level 18, is completely free.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuOQ1S5KCYc

bam, look at how fast that guy drops. Not even a really geared frenzy barb can do that.

So there you have it. A durable, mobile, fun wizard build that can trash enemies in aoe (maybe not as hard as some more specialized aoe wizard builds, but still pretty hard) and still crush single target bosses, without getting AP starved.

And if you're still not convinced, look at how freaking sexy the casting animation on sleet storm is!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuBogVzF8TA&t=0m24s
whoops, fixed. Must have still had my earlier version of that build copied
its definitely a viable alternative for any of the spells on that list, though I'm sticking with what I've got out of pure personal preference. It's a good suggestion though. Also I'm playing with the idea of swapping the rune on shock pulse to crimson for fire bolts that do 195% weapon damage instead of just 95%. That sort of decision won't be made until the game is live and I can see for myself what kind of AP starvation I'm looking at from spamming my other abilities
Pinning an easy boss, whom you farming, in a corner does not make shock pulse good. From all of the other videos I have seen, you need to be right on top of people to make it useful. There are only rare occasions when I see this being useful.

Also they had 3 elixirs on board.
I'm gonna be going with wand + the passive that improves my wand and gives it AP regen.
I like using my weapons as more than stat sticks, its personal taste.

Then I'll buff my signature to do damage, rather than regen AP for me. win-win

they better make wands fast, though. that, or scale from casting speed
Pinning an easy boss, whom you farming, in a corner does not make shock pulse good. From all of the other videos I have seen, you need to be right on top of people to make it useful. There are only rare occasions when I see this being useful.

Also they had 3 elixirs on board.

k, so let's do some basic math then. Shock pulse at its base will do 95% weapon damage per projectile, and if you are casting from point blank, all three will hit the same target. That's 285% weapon damage per cast, for zero arcane power per cast

If you rune for lightning affinity, you will actually gain 21 AP every time you hit an enemy with this ability in this manner. Alternatively, you could rune for fire bolts, which will increase the damage to 195% weapon damage per projectile. That's 585% weapon damage per cast, for free

Tell me, for a wizard build that specializes in risky point blank spell casts, can you think of a better spell to burn down a single target than this one? Or were you commenting on the conditions of the video out of the misguided notion that you were the only one to actually notice them, and that they are actually significant?
I have, but with crystallizing ice armor, the damage reduction from teleport always active, and arcane anomaly ready to save my !@# in case anything does punch through my defenses, it almost seems a little overkill. Granted, I'm making this build with no knowledge of how hard things will be hitting me later on in the game, so in the event an extra 20% does seem necessary I've already decided that I'll swap out the prodigy passive for blur
tweaked the build slightly. Sleet storm is just too cool not to have, even if explosive blast might technically be better. I added a youtube link showing off the casting animation for this spell in the top post.

Also changed the rune on shock pulse to fire bolts, and went back to the power hungry passive, since teleporting around and channeling expensive spells can leave you AP starved, and just casting fire bolts isn't that fun
Very nice, I may opt for Illusionist, Galvanizing wand, or Blur as passives over Power Hungry, but that would depend on game play experience. I'll certainly have fun trying this build out, thanks for the post!
thanks for the feedback! galvanizing ward was definitely an option when I was throwing this together, mainly because I didn't like the idea of interrupting the flow of my murder to rebuff my shield every 60 seconds, and illusionist just looks fun to have. I ended up opting for power hungry on the reasoning that since I don't have a good amount invested in AP regenerating abilities, being able to gain AP from health orbs would keep my killing sprees alive long. But once again, that's pure preference.
What do you get from obsidian disintegrate that you can't get better from obsidian electrocute?

Obsidian disintegrate gives you a short range cone at 255% weapon damage per second.

Obsidian electrocute gives you a short range cone at 165% weapon damage twice per second or 330% weapon damage per second, and costs no AP.
hm, I didn't realize the casting rate was so fast. I'll have to see what kind of range and spread entropied disintegrate has, but in the meantime I think I'll swap out the disintegrate and go with the electrocute, since it seems like the better option overall. Nice eye, I totally would have missed that, I just looked at damage numbers and assumed it was worse

edit - hm, on a side note, suddenly the only damaging ability that costs AP in this build is sleet storm. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I think I'll be ditching power hungry
k, so let's do some basic math then. Shock pulse at its base will do 95% weapon damage per projectile, and if you are casting from point blank, all three will hit the same target. That's 285% weapon damage per cast,

If you watch any of the videos out on the beta where a wizard uses shock pulse at point blank you still only get a single hit. It's just to random, you will never land 3 on one target.
10/07/2011 09:05 PMPosted by Glixx
k, so let's do some basic math then. Shock pulse at its base will do 95% weapon damage per projectile, and if you are casting from point blank, all three will hit the same target. That's 285% weapon damage per cast,

If you watch any of the videos out on the beta where a wizard uses shock pulse at point blank you still only get a single hit. It's just to random, you will never land 3 on one target.

that's an odd thing to say since in the video I linked all three bolts consistently hit the same target until it died. If you've got a video from a more recent beta build where this has been changed I welcome you to link it. I'd love to see it, because if it's been changed like that, it impacts the functionality of my build and I'll probably have to change my build. But as of right now, I don't see what it is you're talking about
This is a speed run by Force and Trump, both are playing wizards and both are using Shock Pulse. They are at close very range to use frost nova to hold the boss in place.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zw_NmaBt_8

Most of the time when they do get all three to hit they are in front or behind the skeleton king to do that and right on top of him. It works well because of frost nova. IMHO you can't count on this, its positional and without enough shares or roots I don't see it working 100%.

On top of that, the video you linked the skeleton king was down in a handful of shots by what looks like a max beta level wizard. He did not even fully cast his first ability and you are going to make an assumption over how well the same thing is going to work through out the game.
This entire build is a gimmick build designed around getting right into something's face to point-blank it with a spell, and even this very recent speed run shows off how consistently you can land all of your shock pulses if you position correctly, as illustrated in the time segment I've highlighted here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zw_NmaBt_8&t=16m31s

shock pulse can do monstrous damage to a single target if you put yourself right on the toes of your enemy, and the build I'm making is designed to allow you to do just that. If you rune for fire bolts, the damage is even greater, equivalent to landing a meteor on your target every third of a second for a sustained duration, only fire bolts will cost no AP to spam and can be maintained indefinitely.

All things considered, this build might not be the most viable overall due to the risky position it puts the user in, but shock pulse is definitely the most fitting spell for this build. Doubly so when you consider that most "proper" wizard builds excel in aoe damage, but are very weak when it comes to sustained single target damage.