Now only 4 ranks for runes?

General Discussion
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian

On the skill calculator, at the bottom it says:

"Note: Information on this page is based on a level 60 character and rank 4 runestones. "

Also: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/runestone/

Rank 5-7 isn't associated with a difficulty. This could mean anything, but with it saying that the information on this page is based on a level 60 character and rank 4 runestones, I'm inclinded to believe that they are messing around with only having 4 runes in the game.

I know this data is extracted straight from the game, so maybe they're just experimenting with it or something.
My guess is that ranks 5-7 are craftable-only.
they probably are using 1 rune per difficulty, so they can save ranks 5-7 for endgame content, or new content that they may release at a later date.
Also, the purple text is slick.
4 Days (or 5 if that information is on the 2nd day) until Blizzcon and you will have your answer, most likely, with some luck anyway.

I don't know why the page is like that now, but I've been wondering myself, but not going to know anything until they tell us why they changed it, they have something up their sleeves and like I said, with any luck we'll know about it this Friday or Saturday.
10/17/2011 04:53 AMPosted by PopJe
alabaster rune on war cry no longer give 50% health but 35% wich make much more sense now.

Well provided each rune level made a 5% change it would be the same as before
7: 50% - What used to be on the skill calculator
6: 45%
5: 40%
4: 35% - What's on the calculator now
3: 30%
2: 25%
1: 20%

Be kind of interesting to see what this change actually means.
My own opinion on the change is that they didn't want to showcase what the absolute best you could get was, but a very good general idea of the power when equipped with a mid-level rune (4).

Level 7 runes, when tied with other unique attributes, would be hard to account for with the skill calculator. As such, they removed the highest and included the average.

That's my guess.
the effects of runes are still the same as they were, we are just seeing lower rank rune effects. it looks like they changed it to where you now get 1 new rank of rune per difficulty untill inferno. rank 4 being the most common one you find in inferno. then after gaining more mf gear or with a lot of luck or $$$ you will work your way up to getting all rank 7's through inferno.. same with trying to get all lvl 14 gems or the best gear you can imagine.. it will all just take time running around killing stuff on inferno.. lots of time..

I actually like this new update.. it tells me that rank 4 runes will probubly be pretty common. being able to find the type of rank 4 your looking for prolly wont take long at all.. its the full set of rank 7's with the right color that will take some time.. and the fact that rank 4's are able to be equipped at lvl 35 means i should be able to get the runes i want for my alts fairly early for leveling.

It also tells us that once you do spend enough time on your character, getting rank 7 runes, rank 14 gems, godly gear.. your char will be a beast.. if rank 4 runestones with prolly rank 5 gems and newbie level 60 gear can get you through inferno, then once your maxxed out inferno will be a walk in the park imo
Who says there's only 4 ranks for runes?

All you know is the calculator only uses rank 4 runes now.
If they wanted to remove the lvls they would have just removed them..not show them there ....

I think we will have to craft the last lvls now, thats why they dont belong to any difficult...cuz they wont drop.
Pretty simple... I would guess:

Normal: lots of rank 1's
Nightmare: Some 2's and lots of 1's
Hell: Some 3's, more 2's, and maybe less 1's, maybe no more 1's?
Inferno: Some 4's, more 3's, 5's are fairly uncommon, 6's are really rare, 7's will drop like legendaries.

Really this change only simplifies Inferno and Hell and adds a lot more replay to Inferno, so it's win-win. Brilliant decision.
It was changed to better match what (we currently plan) will be most readily available to players. We're still obviously working on runestones to a fair degree. In fact it's really the only game system that still has a lot of design work surrounding it. Runestones are an extremely crucial system. We're spending a lot of time on them to get them right.

Ranks 5, 6 and 7 could still drop, but they would be Inferno-only, and there's still a potential for some ranks to be crafted-only.

Jay may be able to speak a bit more about runestones at BlizzCon, but we're not expecting to have any details finalized this week.
10/17/2011 10:16 AMPosted by Bashiok
We're still obviously working on runestones to a fair degree. In fact it's really the only game system that still has a lot of design work surrounding it. Runestones are an extremely crucial system. We're spending a lot of time on them to get them right.

Is it mostly the way we acquire runes and 'equip' them that's still being worked on or are the rune's themselves also undergoing work? (If you can even answer that.)
Crafted runes? Nice! Loving this game more and more :3
crafted runes would be sweet,,
It was changed to better match what (we currently plan) will be most readily available to players. We're still obviously working on runestones to a fair degree. In fact it's really the only game system that still has a lot of design work surrounding it. Runestones are an extremely crucial system. We're spending a lot of time on them to get them right.

Ranks 5, 6 and 7 could still drop, but they would be Inferno-only, and there's still a potential for some ranks to be crafted-only.

Jay may be able to speak a bit more about runestones at BlizzCon, but we're not expecting to have any details finalized this week.

I'm slightly confused as to what the plan is for runestones. Are they supposed to be a rare item that drops? Are they going to be dropping all the time? Seems to me like a whole lot of gameplay decisions depends on that.
10/17/2011 10:57 AMPosted by CherubDown
re they supposed to be a rare item that drops? Are they going to be dropping all the time? Seems to me like a whole lot of gameplay decisions depends on that.

10/17/2011 10:16 AMPosted by Bashiok
We're still obviously working on runestones to a fair degree. In fact it's really the only game system that still has a lot of design work surrounding it. Runestones are an extremely crucial system. We're spending a lot of time on them to get them right.

That