Mephisto's 6-Remaining Soulstones

Lore and Story
12/31/2011 01:49 AMPosted by marshmallow
Don't analyze this stuff too much, it doesn't even make sense with its own logic. For example, the Three were causing havoc in Sanctuary without human hosts or soulstones before the Horadrim were formed (remember, they were banished from Hell). Why do they need any of that stuff all the sudden? Because it's in the script.

It goes deeper than you think and for the most part it all make sense.

Their spirit/essence/non-corporal form were banished to Sanctuary, there they began to take over humans and cause evil. The only way to contain them was to trap them in the Soulstones, which was what they wanted all along.

The Three planed their exile to Sanctuary so they could trick the angels into using the Soulstones to trap them. As Izual said the plan of the Three goes far deeper that even the angels realize.

Izual:
Tyrael was a fool to have trusted me!
You see, it was I who told Diablo and his Brothers about the Soulstones and how to corrupt them. It was I who helped the Prime Evils mastermind their own exile to your world.
The plan we set in motion so long ago cannot be stopped by any mortal agency. Hell, itself, is poised to spill forth into your world like a tidal wave of blood and nightmares.

As for Aiden droping the soulstone, this was from the Diablo 2 Cinematic Trailer - E3 1998. 2 years before the game came out. Taking it as cannon would be like saying Tremain from D1 is cannon.

And for those pointing to a wiki. Just because it's in a wiki doesn't make it a fact. Some people like to take some information then widely extrapolate then convince other that they are right, other people just like to make stuff up. Just lookup the cow level from D1.

The only "official" thing you will find about Mephisto's Soulstone being fragmented is from here.
http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/monsters/act3-mephisto.shtml

Eventually, however, Mephisto managed to overcome the powers of the Soulstone that imprisoned him enough to influence and corrupt the Zakarum. The demon then had the priests work spells to shatter the Soulstone into seven shards, breaking the mystic seal and freeing the Lord of Hatred.

To me this is on the same scale of "truth" as the D1 manual saying that Lazarus shattered Diablo's Soulstone. What it probably means is that they removed whatever protection was "casted" on the soulstone.

12/28/2011 02:26 PMPosted by Letendeth
Tal Rasha had Baal's Soul Stone in his chest for 200 years! that's ten times as long as Aiden. Aiden is capable of transformation on the spot without having the Soul Stone in hand.

Aiden had the Soulstone for less than 1 year

12/28/2011 02:26 PMPosted by Letendeth
Yet this brings about the idea of why didn't Tal Rasha absorb the stone?

The imprisonment of Baal was different, Tal Rasha took the role of the Soulstone as container. The fragment of the soulstone planted in his chest served as some sort of key to prevent Baal from using his power. I think we can assume that Tal Rasha was corrupted long before even Sankekur was. Baal was just waiting for someone to take out the Soulstone so he could escape his bindings.
12/31/2011 01:49 AMPosted by marshmallow
Don't analyze this stuff too much, it doesn't even make sense with its own logic. For example, the Three were causing havoc in Sanctuary without human hosts or soulstones before the Horadrim were formed (remember, they were banished from Hell). Why do they need any of that stuff all the sudden? Because it's in the script.

The way I understand it, it's the soulstones that force them to have hosts. Without the Soulstones, they have no need for hosts.

On the other side, having hosts allows them to basically take the powers/memories of the host into themselves.
12/31/2011 03:39 AMPosted by Brokenstorm
Aiden had the Soulstone for less than 1 year

Source?

12/31/2011 03:39 AMPosted by Brokenstorm
The imprisonment of Baal was different, Tal Rasha took the role of the Soulstone as container. The fragment of the soulstone planted in his chest served as some sort of key to prevent Baal from using his power. I think we can assume that Tal Rasha was corrupted long before even Sankekur was. Baal was just waiting for someone to take out the Soulstone so he could escape his bindings.

So opening a portal to Hell isn't using his powers? How about removing any sign of Tal Rasha's humanity?

Chronological order does state that Tal Rasha was captured prior to Mephisto, so yes, it is safe to assume (this allowed time for corruption to take hold).
01/01/2012 08:04 AMPosted by Letendeth
Source?

http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/timeline.xml

When the Soulstone was removed by Marius it freed Baal (as Tal Rasha), from that point on he could do whatever he wanted.

Mephisto is the first of the Three to be captured (see source). Tal Rasha isn't captured, he sacrifice himself in an attempt to contain Baal after the Soulstone the Horadrim planed to use to trap Baal got shattered.
No, Source that Aiden only had the Soul Stone for a year.

EDIT: I read the source and I see it does suggest that Aiden only had the stone for a year, but it doesn't add up with the Book of Cain.
01/01/2012 08:19 PMPosted by Letendeth
but it doesn't add up with the Book of Cain.

Care to explain for those of us who don't have the book yet.
Soulstones can only be destroyed at the hell forge I believe, so the heroes could not have destroyed them in kurast.