Azmodan, Lord of Sin

Lore and Story
So what did you guys think about this guy? I know he is one of the lesser evils, but he sure doesn't look like it. I think this guy is most likely going to be the main Villain of Diablo 3. I hope the other evils show up as well, or in an expansion.
I assume you are talking about the cinematic, and I don't believe that that was Azmodan, but I could be wrong. The demon said that Azmodan would then be the Prime Evil.
Judging by artwork that depicts Diablo himself very often....I highly doubt that Azmodan is actually the true final boss of the game.

The way he speaks to Leah implies that he is "on to her"...like she has some grand scheme that she has been playing at, and that he "defied her" as she eliminated their brethren one by one.

He speaks to her as if she IS Diablo in my opinion, and judging by that same artwork; Diablo has a very slender, feminine like figure.

It's already been established that the Dark Wanderer was King Leorics long lost son; Aidan, a great warrior. Adria was Leah's mother, and Leah seems to be aware that her father was a great warrior.

Am I the only one putting two and two together? Dark Wanderer is Leah's father, and I'm willing to bet that when she was conceived Aidan was already bearing within him Diablo....

$20 says Diablo imparted a part of himself with Leah and he as been reborn...albeit this he...is a she!
10/21/2011 04:22 PMPosted by Nexx
I assume you are talking about the cinematic, and I don't believe that that was Azmodan, but I could be wrong. The demon said that Azmodan would then be the Prime Evil.

I think that was Azmodan in the picture, his face had a unique characteristic. He is most likely going to be an act boss I am guessing, if that cinematic is the starting one it is for sure that he is going to be the main villain. I am sure Diablo and the other prime evils will of course make their appearance.
10/21/2011 04:51 PMPosted by Zulama

I think that was Azmodan in the picture, his face had a unique characteristic. He is most likely going to be an act boss I am guessing, if that cinematic is the starting one it is for sure that he is going to be the main villain. I am sure Diablo and the other prime evils will of course make their appearance.
Its Lord Azmodan, the Lord of Sin alright. (Looks he to be a new brilliant and nasty bloke of Blizzard's.) If you read the "Diablo III Black Soulstone Cinematic" description it confirms so:

"As Deckard Cain's niece, Leah, struggles to make sense of her uncle's mysterious and disturbing notations, she bears witness to a dark vision. Azmodan, Lord of Sin, towers over the fragile young woman, swearing his armies of the burning Hells shall pour forth into Sanctuary, ravishing the world and all hope of resistance."
Yes he is clearly Azmodan but is probably not the final boss. Blizzard has been hinting that the story is much less straightforward than Diablo 2's "two down, one to go" story of sequential Prime Evil-killing.
Ah, yeah I didn't read the description before, thanks for clearing that up.
Since we will be confronting Azmodan and Belial in the new game I'm excited to find out how the three brothers are going to fit into the story. I taste expansion material definetly since numerous times it was said that Diablo has the richest lore of all 3 franchises. Cheer!
10/21/2011 04:28 PMPosted by Avarice
The way he speaks to Leah implies that he is "on to her"...like she has some grand scheme that she has been playing at, and that he "defied her" as she eliminated their brethren one by one.

By this, I think the demon is talking to her, but referring to the Horadrim, as she is related to Cain, the last of the Horadrim. They were the ones that binded the three prime evils to the soul stones many years ago
Leah isn't really related (that we know of, unless Adria or Aidan are descended from the Horadrim) to Cain. She just refers to him as Uncle as a term of affection. He kind of raised her and everything and he's not her father, so uncle is a fitting term.
Is this the first we have seen or heard of Azmodan? I seem to recall seeing his name mentioned in one of the Diablo book series. I could be wrong though it has been years since I read them.
Azmodan was mention somewhere in Legacy of Blood by Belial's demon-mantis lackey Xazax being the Lesser Evil rival of his master and would defeated if a new Warlord of Blood sided with Belial. Don't the Lesser Evils were given mention in the Sin War trilogy or any other Diablo literature.
I bet this dude is gonna get disemboweled by Diablo.
10/23/2011 07:42 PMPosted by Splub
I bet this dude is gonna get disemboweled by Diablo.

Yeah the game isn't called azmadon 3 so i am guessing Diablo may be pissed when he finds out this douchelord is coming to sanctuary after they already kicked Diablo out of Hell.
I also think that Azmodan would probably want to install 7 Lieutenants on the thrones Leah saw in her vision should he rise to power. 7 of his deadly stooges. I wonder if one of them is named Sneezy?
10/21/2011 04:28 PMPosted by Avarice
I highly doubt that Azmodan is actually the true final boss of the game.

I am going to disagree, but only based on what was said at the lore panel at Blizzcon. They said that know where Azmodan is from the beginning of Act 4, you just can't get to him because he is behind an army of demons. That statement makes me think that he will be the final boss. I hope you are right though!
What about Diablo himself?
Will he be a minor part of the plot? Not the Big D?
Judging by artwork that depicts Diablo himself very often....I highly doubt that Azmodan is actually the true final boss of the game.

He speaks to her as if she IS Diablo in my opinion, and judging by that same artwork; Diablo has a very slender, feminine like figure.

It's already been established that the Dark Wanderer was King Leorics long lost son; Aidan, a great warrior. Adria was Leah's mother, and Leah seems to be aware that her father was a great warrior.

Am I the only one putting two and two together? Dark Wanderer is Leah's father, and I'm willing to bet that when she was conceived Aidan was already bearing within him Diablo....

$20 says Diablo imparted a part of himself with Leah and he as been reborn...albeit this he...is a she!

I agree with most of this with the exception that a few events could make things play out a little different.

Azmodan could be focusing on Leah if she is in fact the daughter of the Dark Wanderer. The other being that with the World Stone destroyed, there is no buffer to stop demons from entering sanctuary and weakening them. With this in mind, those with their soul stones destroyed (excluding Baal, which is not verified as destroyed) were sent to the black abyss, not destroyed.

Now, wearing my tin hat, as large and as glorious as it is! I feel that Azmodan's focus on Leah and the potential that she has some essence of Diablo within her, would lure him out of hell and into Sanctuary. Which would offer the Prime Evils that were banished, a chance to retake hell.

The other thing being, this is Diablo and if anything, this should be the final showdown with him. Though not in the first release in Diablo 3, I hope this epic actually takes us a few years to wrap up, but ends in the destruction of Hell and Heaven.

I have posted this before but I wouldn't put my money on Leah being Diablo. They made it too obvious that it could be her, so why would they spoil the plot before the game is even released?

You are also not the only one to think that, there is 1001 threads on this in General. There is also just as many saying that Azmodan is talking to Lilith who may have been the one that tricked them all.