Pre-Load available for CE or Physical copy?

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 6 Next
SIf it is as in Sc2, you would be able to download the game and when you get your key you will add it to you B.net account.

At 12 pm you will install and get in with your account. I suposse the CE in game content is activated and included in the general download package and not only avaible in the CE installlation disc.

Posted by Bashiok
Cool name.

He beat you do it. Looks like you'll need to select an alternative name. Might I suggest "Pillar" or "HolyBell"?

Those would be some freaking awesome names!
Example: What if 1000 people D/L the game but only 50 have CD Keys?

I don't know if you are trolling or just uninformed. Blizzard, currently, does not lock down any of their clients for download. I can DL SC2, D2, D2:LoD, SC and WoW without having an license.

Unless Blizzard changes their security settings, anyone can Download the release client once they put it on their servers. The only issue I see at the moment, is that digital copy owners will only be able to see the link once the official release goes live. If they allow a pre-install, it would be something new for blizzard (you could DL the SC2 installer before the official release but it was locked down until blizz put out an official key on their servers, so you could not actually install the game). Unlike SC2 though, D3 has no offline mode to abuse so we may get lucky and be allowed to pre-install the game before release.

You are sadly misinformed. It knocks off 4 months of your contract. Let me go copy/paste an excerpt from the official Blizzard FAQ...

There, the part in bold.

Uh, the part you have in bold, clearly states it adds 4 months. "...plus receive four months of World of Warcraft game time which is eligible towards your 12-month subscription commitment."

You don't need to argue over wording! :D

I signed the contract 10/21/2011, it ends 10/21/2012
They are going to add 4 months of gametime to my account if I enter a CE cd key
My contract end date is still the same, I just have 4 less months to pay for

So I spend:

$180 over 1 year (or less, depending on which sub/free time/etc.)
+
$100 for D3 CE
-
$60 refunded to me in WoW time

It actually only adds up to $220 for 1 year of WoW and the D3 CE. Add in a few scrolls of resurrection that I'm going to send out & a few 14 days free from Blizzard(like the one that was just emailed), I see that $220 price tag going down quite fast.

10/25/2011 09:50 AMPosted by DrakeFS
Example: What if 1000 people D/L the game but only 50 have CD Keys?

I don't know if you are trolling or just uninformed. Blizzard, currently, does not lock down any of their clients for download. I can DL SC2, D2, D2:LoD, SC and WoW without having an license.

Unless Blizzard changes their security settings, anyone can Download the release client once they put it on their servers. The only issue I see at the moment, is that digital copy owners will only be able to see the link once the official release goes live. If they allow a pre-install, it would be something new for blizzard (you could DL the SC2 installer before the official release but it was locked down until blizz put out an official key on their servers, so you could not actually install the game). Unlike SC2 though, D3 has no offline mode to abuse so we may get lucky and be allowed to pre-install the game before release.

Not trolling, not uninformed.

All those games were released before the digital download was open to everyone, just like you said. Diablo 3 will be no different. They will add it to the servers, people with an account flagged for pre-load will be able to do so. The D/L will go public after launch, as like the other titles.

The pre-install for Cata was available to only digital buyers(there was an easy work-around to this for people buying a physical copy that wanted to pre-load, you still needed an active account & access to the servers though).

My point with what you quoted was:

Is it fair that the 50 people who bought the game digitally to have their connection restricted/throttled because of the other 1000 that didn't purchase squat are hogging the bandwidth & putting load on the server?

No.

Now you can say "Well, people who aren't going to buy the game won't D/L it" Yes they will. One example, people who think they are going to buy it launch day, pre-load the game, launch day comes, they can't afford the game.

Using Bandwidth all across the world costs money.

Who knows? Maybe they will open it up & either let everyone D/L the whole game or let people D/L in increments before launch day.

I just have a feeling that it isn't going to happen.
I have bad memory. Did they do preloading for other games?
10/24/2011 05:33 PMPosted by Blazur
He beat you do it. Looks like you'll need to select an alternative name. Might I suggest "Pillar" or "HolyBell"?

ROFL well played.....

maybe "floating skull" or "temple"
10/25/2011 01:25 PMPosted by Virtues
I have bad memory. Did they do preloading for other games?

From my post:

The pre-install for Cata was available to only digital buyers(there was an easy work-around to this for people buying a physical copy that wanted to pre-load, you still needed an active account & access to the servers though).
I have the same plan as Èternal:

Signed up for Annual Pass = $180 over 12 months
Get Digital Diablo 3 free
Pre-ordered Diablo 3 CE = $100
Download Digital Diablo 3 when Blizzard allows us to
Play Diablo 3 right when servers go live
Add CE key when CE arrives in mail to add CE bonuses & take 4 months off my contract

Although when I went to GameStop to check for CE preorder it shows a release date. This just a goof? http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/diablo-iii-collectors-edition/97853
Is it fair that the 50 people who bought the game digitally to have their connection restricted/throttled because of the other 1000 that didn't purchase squat are hogging the bandwidth & putting load on the server?

No.

You have a point except, blizzard uses a mixed-mode P2P DL client so, its not completely their bandwidth. To get the fastest DL speed most users should have P2P enabled. The way the client works, is that more people you have in the swarm, the more speed you can get. I'm not sure why you think its a bad thing since blizzards uses P2P clients. I would rather have 1000 people on there P2P client than 50, Licensed or not. Of course if its a pre download, what does the speed of it really matter....

SC2 was/is available for Digital Copy and anyone could pre-DL the client. Once again an install key was needed from the blizzard servers. I didn't know that they allowed a pre-install of Cataclysm. I also dont know if by pre-load is referring to is an install of the game or just the download of it to you PC (see earlier SC2 comment). That brings hope for D3 to have a pre-install since it too is online only, if they did it with Cataclysm. I will most likely do a digital copy if I can play @ midnight on release. If not I will do a midnight release. Of course if they include a Blizzard memo pad and a copy of Diablo in the CE (doubtful), oh how things will change.
Can't u just wait 20mins to install the game, you know its really short. Diablo3 ain't WoW
Cool name.

I'm guessing we need to update the filter on character creation...

lol..

If you click inside your post 'goto next Blizzard post' it takes us to the fake guy.
Cool name.

I'm guessing we need to update the filter on character creation...

lol..

If you click inside your post 'goto next Blizzard post' it takes us to the fake guy.

No it doesn't, it takes you to the first post. Which just happens to be the fake guy.
Starcraft 2 Boxed or Digital. Blizzard had a pre load so every one bought or not could download. before release
I have the same plan as Èternal:

Signed up for Annual Pass = $180 over 12 months
Get Digital Diablo 3 free
Pre-ordered Diablo 3 CE = $100
Download Digital Diablo 3 when Blizzard allows us to
Play Diablo 3 right when servers go live
Add CE key when CE arrives in mail to add CE bonuses & take 4 months off my contract

Although when I went to GameStop to check for CE preorder it shows a release date. This just a goof? http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/diablo-iii-collectors-edition/97853

lol +1 thats what im doing muahah
10/24/2011 05:33 PMPosted by Blazur
Cool name.

LMFAO! Blazur just pwned all of Blizzard XD /thread
If you had half a million ppl all with D3 preloaded ready to put in their key at 12:01am the servers would take a massive hit and probably crash.

If those same half a million ppl all had different download times, differing times that they can buy and install the game, live in different time zones etc etc. well the servers would then have an easier job of getting everybody started up
If you had half a million ppl all with D3 preloaded ready to put in their key at 12:01am the servers would take a massive hit and probably crash.

If those same half a million ppl all had different download times, differing times that they can buy and install the game, live in different time zones etc etc. well the servers would then have an easier job of getting everybody started up

i dont think there will be just 1 server available, since there are regions, blizzard will thought of that .therefore not to worry