Pick up all items feature(area effect Pickup)

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 13 Next
You can't just spend 10sec or less clicking on loot?...
11/04/2011 08:39 AMPosted by Wurtane
You can't just spend 10sec or less clicking on loot?...

But its sooooooo hard! not to mention time consuming....
+1
Personally, i would hate to have a automatic pick up button because most of the stuff will probably not be picked up because it will be junk. Such that in D2, i only picked up maybe 5-10% of the items, because most of the items that dropped were junk and worth nothing so it would have been pointless to pick up.
that sounds like a great idea! for it to work efficiently, we should be able to modify the file to only auto pick up the best gear that we choose to. But hey why stop there?

if we are getting feature to play the game for us, lets go all the way! lets implement a feature that plays the game for us completely! it can run through inferno from beginning to end, over and over and over and over, AND we can include the loot picking file INTO this feature, so not only does it run inferno back to back, it will pick up gg items while its doing it!

this way we can run this super awesome feature at night while we sleep, and we dont have to put in any work in d3, we just wake up to godly items...

oh wait....
Thank you Popesoap, for giving some insight into your thoughts. And in response I would say to you, that there would be nothing requiring you to have to use a feature like this. Also, the only difference is that you don’t have to click everything one at a time. An analogy, if you would see its relevance.
Imagine going to a driving range looking for certain golf balls but also make a little extra change for getting any golf ball, now there are hundreds of balls on the ground so it would be in your best interest to only go for the particular balls doing it by hand, but what if you had a Golf ball picker (the machines at the driving ranges that pick up the golf balls) but also imagine if this machine also sorted your balls, would you call the use of this machine lazy? Or would it just be efficient? (Kind of open ended here but you see my point)

Or a simple one, Grandpa calls you lazy because you drive to work, back in his day he walked 5 miles to work uphill in the snow. You look to him and say, "Things change Grandpa"
I'm wondering where people get the idea that anything is being done for you. Some of these responses stink of ignorance.

All this dose is help give you the option to focus more on the content, and not worry about reduntent loot pick up, because if picking up loot seems like a mini game to you then just turn the feature off.

Example from WOW in relation to some responses: lets make this raid an extra hour as we stop for loot everytime it is droped, instead of using a system of distrabution (or waiting till the end to save time) then to just continue on to the next boss. compleatly optional, based on the people in party.

Watch them hate :)
11/04/2011 09:20 AMPosted by frOst
by now, blizzard has read this thread and the idea has either been brushed aside or supported. I think they are a lot more qualified that the majority of people in this thread to decide whether or not it should be implemented.

Agreed, and I know, but the idea is to keep the descussion alive in a productive manner to spam ideas and suggestions, some people, including yourself have had some great ideas, and in all of Blizzard's wisdom I say let the people be heard.
Well, here's my 2¢:

The original feel of clicking to pick up epic items was incredible. The first time a unique ring dropped (and you were like OMG, that could be my first SOJ!!) got my heart beating. My adrenaline was rushing as I quickly scrambled to identify it. A part of that experience was watching the item land on the ground and then manually clicking to pick the item up. So yes, there is an intrinsic feel to having to click to pick up an item. Another part of that, was the potential loss of that item if another player were around (which no longer exists in D3).

Another aspect that is different from D2 to D3 (which I'm surprised that no one has really brought up yet) is that now all gold and items have significantly more value in D3 than in D2. In D2, items of little value could only be sold for gold. Gold was only good for repairs, gambling, and reviving your Merc if they died. Gold was cheap and not very useful. In relation to D3, gold's value has been increased due to the AH. So now all items naturally have a higher value. They can be turned to gold, and then used on the AH to overpay for that specific item you have been searching for. Should I even mention the salvaging for crafting materials?

Blizzard understood that in D2, 85%+ of the items that monsters dropped, stayed on the ground. They wanted to change the value of these items so as to motivate players to pick them up. The AH and crafting materials is how they did it.

I say all that to say this: We will be picking up a lot more items in D3 then we did in D2. This "automated pickup" was not an issue in D2 because we didn't pick up all that much. It is an issue in D3.

There are basically 2 sides to this argument: The Diablo Feel vs Efficiency (I ignore the"lazy" comments)

It is my personal opinion that the point of this game is to Hack 'n Slash with the best gear. That can only be done by finding items. So I believe it should be an OPTION, but only limited to whites and blues. Auto-pickup should not be enabled for rares, sets, or legendary items.

---Total Contribution: $0.02
11/04/2011 06:56 AMPosted by frOst

Agree with this. I don't think I would like auto pickup personally. But at the same time it would be more convenient, so I would sort of be forced to use it if I want to be as efficient as everyone else. So I guess I'm against it.

Just because you see something on the ground doesn't mean you have to pick it up and sell it/break it down. If you want to do this, you get a small reward. I like it this way.

I also had a similar idea about SC2. I thought it would be cool if mules and queen's 'inject larvae' were automated. I also thought the game should automake 'specific unit' whenever available, for gateways, hatcheries, barracks, starport, etc., so it would increase efficiency and reduce unnecessary apm. But then I realized that this would go way too far. The next step would be to just 'select build order' and watch the first 5-10 mins of the game play itself, only bothering to do things like micro, which could also arguably be controlled to reduce unnecessary APM.

I guess my point is that I don't want to take this too far. There's pretty much always going to be a next step to make things more efficient, but sometimes this can take away from the atmosphere of the game. In diablo, I think seeing items on the ground is a HUGE part of the atmosphere/fun of the game, as silly as that might sound.

How about you 2 read the solution that I presented so you understand that your concern is invalid. what a surprise.

I actually already liked your suggestion before this response. The one about being able to box select items.

On another note: drop the attitude. Don't argue that 'everyone is retarted har har' and then be an !@#. I gave my opinion in a well thought out post. Then you respond to it with these childish 2 second responses scattered about this thread. I'm not going to argue with anyone who acts like this.

And no, your idea did not invalidate my concern.
u have a cube that converts ur items to gold i really doubt ur bags being full will be a problem
you'd be surprised how nice it feels to actually have to click each item, it just feels better than automatically getting the loot.

If you think picking up gear is a chore and not a reward, then maybe Diablo isn't right for you.

Its feels just the same to me as being able to pick them all up at the same time, the reward is moving on to the next battle faster, and its optional so you would not have to use it.

Also, some people think you would have to use it to be as efficent as everyone else, WRONG, you have you own loot and play on your own time, try not to mesure yourself by anyone elses standards.

The part about having your own loot and playing on your own time is irrelevant because when you break down everything, you should find that everyone's finds are goind to be worth close to the the same overall, with the exception of the random rare items.

I can understand your argument about not measuring yourself to other's standards though. But at the same time, the point of the game is getting great loot. If there is an option to get better loot faster, like auto pickup + auto breakdown, you would be gimping yourself by not using it. So if this option was in the game, I would use it, to keep up with everyone else, but I would be losing some of the atmosphere the 'lottery' feel that I love about this game.

I understand the argument here though. If you don't like it, don't use it right? Well you could also say that duping should be legal with that argument: if you don't want to dupe, don't do it, right? If everyone else does it though, it will affect you. No one wants to be the guy in the group that can't kill anything and gets killed by the boss 5 times.
I like this idea
11/04/2011 10:44 AMPosted by kira
I understand the argument here though. If you don't like it, don't use it right? Well you could also say that duping should be legal with that argument: if you don't want to dupe, don't do it, right? If everyone else does it though, it will affect you. No one wants to be the guy in the group that can't kill anything and gets killed by the boss 5 times.

This I do not understand at all, relating duping to a method of looting is like comparing was to get paid (direct deposit over taking it to the bank) vs. printing money....
11/04/2011 10:49 AMPosted by Rem

This I do not understand at all, relating duping to a method of looting is like comparing was to get paid (direct deposit over taking it to the bank) vs. printing money....

I'm comparing one way to make your character better to another.
I'd like to see that feature as well, kind of like in Dungeon Siege 1 (and 2?) where you pressed a key and your character would loot everything around. Really, if you want to use it, you use it if you like the feature, otherwise you don't.

For those who say "Take 10 seconds of your time to pick that stuff up, it isn't so hard!", let me ask you : What is the added value of not having that feature since you can just sell/dismantle everything you pick up on the spot ?

I mean, it isn't like in diablo 2 where you had to choose carefully what you pick up because some unique could drop and if you had a full inventory, another player could just steal it from you.
I agree with the op. Picking up loot does get annoying at times. Especially if you know its not an upgrade and just want to pick it up so you can vendor or scrap it. Sometimes you would even skip loot just because you don't feel like going back to get it.

Sacred2 had an option where you can press q and it would pick up items that are a few meters near your character. You can also filter what you pick up. For example set the filter to pick up rare or better, or set it to just pick up unique items.

I don't see what the big deal is. If you don't want to use this feature don't use it. And from a programming perspective I doubt it would be very hard to implement. After all it would save you time and let you play the game a little more efficiently.

/shrug