Pick up all items feature(area effect Pickup)

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 13 Next
there will be much items that arent even worth picking up. to have an auto pick up button would just have me wasting time turning them into gold.Would rather be able to choose what i pick up and what i leave on the ground

you have not read anything if you support this idea, because we have suggested a threshold also suggested a method of automatically melting unwanted grades of items i.e whites,greens ect. Your only wasting time (in comparison) trying to filter stuff out manually with alt and picking them up one at a time. how would you waste time if the feature picks up the grade of item you want?
After time spent leveling up your character, you won't even bother picking up "Normal" items and will most likely focus on anything else dropped. Normal items as I imagine will only produce small amounts of gold and the occasional random chipped gem. As long as they still have item filters, I'm good.
11/04/2011 11:41 AMPosted by Kurtis
After time spent leveling up your character, you won't even bother picking up "Normal" items and will most likely focus on anything else dropped. Normal items as I imagine will only produce small amounts of gold and the occasional random chipped gem. As long as they still have item filters, I'm good.

Logical.
I've seen this idea used in a few games and i've gotta say im a fan, esp after killing masses of mobs. This shortens your down time and allows more time for KILLIN!!!
11/04/2011 12:20 PMPosted by Boomdead
I've seen this idea used in a few games and i've gotta say im a fan, esp after killing masses of mobs. This shortens your down time and allows more time for KILLIN!!!

This is the main reason behind a feature like this. People say it’s only a few seconds, well over years of play that’s a long freakin time.
Personally all I want to do is curb stomp the forces of hell. Down time in any increment is painful as I know every second I’m not killing them, they are sheading the blood of the innocent.

Unless you prefer the Innocent suffer then yea don't support this idea ;)
picking up items is fun when u finally find a good item, dont hate
This is the main reason behind a feature like this. People say it’s only a few seconds, well over years of play that’s a long freakin time.
Personally all I want to do is curb stomp the forces of hell. Down time in any increment is painful as I know every second I’m not killing them, they are sheading the blood of the innocent.

Unless you prefer the Innocent suffer then yea don't support this idea ;)

A point against this would be I just finished a big battle and have next to no resources so I need a bit of a break to regenerate some resources, if I didn't have autoloot this is a perfect time to regenerate.

Now with Autoloot I'm stuck standing around doing nothing while it comes back.
11/04/2011 12:38 PMPosted by Drumith
Now with Autoloot I'm stuck standing around doing nothing while it comes back.

If you consider that you need time to regenerate ressources, then don't use the feature when it happens, that would be some rare case anyway (I hope). What if someone's playing a barbarian ?
A point against this would be I just finished a big battle and have next to no resources so I need a bit of a break to regenerate some resources, if I didn't have autoloot this is a perfect time to regenerate.Now with Autoloot I'm stuck standing around doing nothing while it comes back

Right back at you, because Blizzard has limited this downtime, a lot.
1. Auto-attacks are plenty strong enough to kill minnions.
2. Runes that grant resources back on attack. (encourages you to keep moving and fighting)
3. Passives that mod skills or auto-attacks to provide resources when you attack (again keep fighting)
4. That same time could then be use to consolidate what you do have (unless there was a feature to auto-melt and I hope so)
5. Also you have a follower that can kick some !@# (if you choose to have one) otherwise you become more powerful yourself. See #1
no
11/04/2011 01:02 PMPosted by Mud
no

Silly rabit tricks are for kids.
11/04/2011 11:56 AMPosted by Namq
Add a filtering system to this feature and I support this idea.

Did you read my response earlier on when I typed up a sample algorithm to do exactly that?
Some people tend not to read anything, just want to flame. But Namq despised the idea at first and with some suggestion agreed that it could be viable. That is all I can hope for, that people at least state logical reasons why they don't like the idea not just, no... or stupid, lazy, or bad idea. Give feed back.
I don't know about you guys, but in D2, I RARELY saw what items were dropped. As soon as a green appeared, I spam clicked the hell out of that general area. I didn't care what it was. All I wanted was to make sure I picked it up before anyone else had a chance. It wasn't until I opened up my inventory did I realize that I picked up a big !@# hammer for my little dinky rouge.

That was D2's reality.

This auto pick up is no different. Hell, if you really want to see what is going into your bag, put a half second pause before the auto pick up gets triggered for the item. That way, if you see a flash of green, you know you got something good and it's time to check your inventory to see what it was.

Auto pick up + algorithmic filtering produces the same result in reality as it once was in D2, minus SC2-style click spamming that can lead to carpal tunnel followed by death by astroid. :)
Problem with the auto loot feature is that like all RPGs or MMOs this game revolves around time spent maximizing your character, and while killing the baddies is one of those time sinks, the other is the actual physical act of picking up, comparing, and utilizing drops. A few assumptions that I am making.

1) There is no easily attainable gold cap (unlike D2) gold should be useful in the AH and therefore passing up opportunities to gain as much gold as possible just doesn't make sense. Therefore it would be wise to loot and vendor every item that drops.

2) Crafting materials stack to near infinity. There is no real downside to dismantling (disenchanting) a piece of gear. And since it has already been stated that some of the best items will be crafted items with extremely lucky +skills / stats combinations the fastest way to guarantee a shot at top tier loot would be to horde huge amounts of crafted mats and repeatedly make top end items hoping for the correct stat / skill RNG.

So as for number 1 if auto loot automatically picked up and vendored low quality items it would lead to quick inflation since gold generation increases dramatically. This inflation is due to the drastic increase in gold generation / hr played for players using auto loot vs players taking time out of game to pick up individual items and enter inventory and sell said drops. Also the gold generation increase would likewise increase as players geared up since at higher difficulties the trash drops value rapidly outpaces the base gold drop rate of mobs and killing mobs faster would further bolster the automated benefit.

As for the crafting mats auto DE as well as a boost in gold (allowing for purchase of mats of AH) would give players a definite edge farming up inferno gear and maximizing their various crafters. This edge would effect game play drastically skewing ladder progression, pvp, and economy in favor of auto loot / auto de players.

Point is without the auto loot and auto de capabilities players must evaluate what items are worth picking up in a reward vs time ratio. You can obviously pick up everything you want and manually sell / de items but you would sacrifice kill efficiency with kill speed and end up with similar gold / hr generation compared to players who killed quickly and only cherry picked key items to gather.

Point is that games should encourage players to think and judge the reward of investing time picking up and selling / deing items vs lost kill time / speed. Requesting a auto loot / vendor / de system that makes those decisions moot does not improve the quality of the game. It is a short sighted, lazy, decision that promotes cruse control / afk style play and will only result in detracting from the overall experience and enjoyment for all (even those clamoring for said mechanism).

If there are gold caps or de mat caps that require you to go back to town to unload your haul would be the only way to balance the auto loot feature which seems an inconvenience that in unnecessary when the current system seems to work so well already.
Hmm there should be an option for letting the game play for you as well... I don't understand why newer gamers keep wanting more simplifications.
...if auto loot automatically picked up and vendored low quality items it would lead to quick inflation since gold generation increases dramatically. This inflation is due to the drastic increase in gold generation / hr played for players using auto loot vs players taking time out of game to pick up individual items and enter inventory and sell said drops. Also the gold generation increase would likewise increase as players geared up since at higher difficulties the trash drops value rapidly outpaces the base gold drop rate of mobs and killing mobs faster would further bolster the automated benefit.

As for the crafting mats auto DE as well as a boost in gold (allowing for purchase of mats of AH) would give players a definite edge farming up inferno gear and maximizing their various crafters. This edge would effect game play drastically skewing ladder progression, pvp, and economy in favor of auto loot / auto de players...

Allowing auto pick up and auto selling/salvaging will not skew game/ladder progression, as neither gives one player an unfair competitive edge over another. All they do is shorten the number of hours necessary to reach your end game character setup, and I am willing to guess that the shortening would be rather marginal.

As claimed by others who are against this idea, the time it takes to pick everything up and selling/salvaging everything is merely seconds. I would agree with that. All white items would get sold/salvaged instantly, and so will better items during later stages of the game. It really doesn't take much effort to shift-click everything that fits that description, as already seen in the beta videos.

Mobs can take awhile to kill. The ratio between killing the mobs and getting rid of all dropped items is probably very high. Based on the videos, the time required for the latter is generally less than 10% of the former. As such, if it takes 10 months to get to a character you are truly happy with, now it will take 9 months. Hardly a drastic impact, wouldn't you say?

By your logic, perhaps it is more important to remove shared chests. That is something that is more likely to skew the game than auto pick up/auto disposal of items. Chances are, by the time you run your first character through the 60 levels, you will have come across plenty of powerful items for all your other classes. You will be able to have a lowly level 1 running around with items that shouldn't even be accessible at that level. This truly would increase the kill efficiency of that character.

Take a look at Force's videos. It took him awhile to get his first barb through the first time. But by the time he started on the DH play through, he was instantly able to equip the character with very high DPS weapons for that level and blast through the mobs as if they were made out of clay. I would think that will have a more significant impact on the gold/hour rate than the auto pick up idea.

Games are supposed to be fun, and not mundane. If a mundane feature reflects on the skill of the player, then I am ok with it being in there. For example, in SC2, telling drones to harvest is a mundane task. However, that takes time and attention away from your other operations, and puts demand on a player's ability to multitask efficiently while under pressure. Therefore, the task's inclusion in the game is truly a legitimate part of the game.

On the other hand, as I have said before, the routine of manually picking up and selling/salvaging items does not have the same effect. You have unlimited time, and no one else can get your loot. How fast or slow you do it does not even remotely reflect on your abilities as a Diablo player. All it does is introducing a time delay between you and the end game, i.e., a meaningless task.

If this meaningless task is what makes or breaks a game for you, then perhaps you should also consider asking Blizzard to remove the ability to shift-click all items for selling/salvaging. I would imagine having to click on the cube, then an item, and repeat the two steps for each of the items you want to get rid of would significantly increase the time wasted on this process, far more so than any decrease you would experience from automatically picking up items from the ground and disposing them based on a predetermined algorithm. Hell, why not require the player to go back to town each time they want to dispose an item? Wouldn't that cause even more time delays?

Blizzard clearly wants to move away from tasks that add nothing meaningful to the game, i.e., thoughtless routines. I think this is clearly one of them.