Unlocking Hardcore

General Discussion
Prev 1 24 25 26 27 Next
Edited for spam.
HC is for Chuck Norris and his friends like Stallone, Willis, etc. I play SC, because I like to play when it's 3am. If I'm sleepy and make mistakes, at least I don't loose everything...
It comes down to people needing their hands held at all times in todays day and age.

There is no reason, NOT ONE GOOD REASON, why a player shouldnt be allowed to choose for themselves if they want the HC experience on their first playthrough or if they want the SC experience.

I am not saying one is better then the other, as its been said countless times this is a personal preference.

I want to enjoy my first play through with the risk that HC offers.
I agree with wanting Hardcore being unlocked from the very get go. I understand it's Blizzard's game and they feel like it's best for players not to be rushed into Hardcore, but it would be nice to have a CHOICE. I for one would like my first play through to be Hardcore.
12/31/2011 08:27 AMPosted by Brandon
I agree with wanting Hardcore being unlocked from the very get go. I understand it's Blizzard's game and they feel like it's best for players not to be rushed into Hardcore, but it would be nice to have a CHOICE. I for one would like my first play through to be Hardcore.

Agreed. I don't understand why they would eliminate the *choice* of allowing a player to experience the first run through the game with a hardcore character if that's how they want to play.
/Signed

Hardcode off the bat please.
ugh, this thread.

I wouldn't mind having to play through SC to get to HC because i do better when i can take my time with something and i lie working my way up. Sure i'd have tostart all over when i get to HC, but at least i'd have a firm grip on the mechanics.

"The mechanics"?

Click stuff.
Here's an analogy that might cast some light on the matter, because obviously we're running in circles.

Diablo 3 is like a horror movie, a good horror movie where characters aren't bright as frying pans and actually reason and work together to pass through their doom.

There are two ways to watch this horror movie : with the lights on or off.

One way scares more than the other, and so is experienced differently.

Mostly everyone prefers a way to the other. No discrimination here.

Now imagine a scenario where you could rent a room to watch this awesome movie (you can only watch it there) and the guy in charge tells you he'll leave the lights on while you watch it for the first time — you can't turn them off. If you watch it again, he adds, you'll have the choice of the light setup.

If you like lights, you probably won't feel concerned by this, which is quite normal to be honest.

However, if you prefer the darkness, the restriction will annoy you a little bit. Sure, you can watch the movie a second time, lights off, but you'll already know the twists, and knowing how the bad guy finally reveals himself, how the suffering develops, etc., will spoil the experience.

From a gamer's / viewer's perspective, this is about as simple as it gets. The choice is obviously a good thing, as it pleases a wider audience.

I think that supporting the contrary is to mock the intelligence, will and preferences of that audience; I think it's reducing the fun factor for many with no other goal than not to offend those who might get scared by the horror (of losing a character / of frightening sights). Keep in mind we're comparing an M-Rated game to the horror genre.

If you believe the choice remains a bad thing, I sincerely wish you to one day get into an analogous situation where you prefer the lights off. Maybe will the word 'empathy' then make sense to you.
Well I think you should have to play barbarian first to unlock the monk... and then have to play the monk to unlock the demon hunter... then the demon hunter to unlock the...

You see where this is going right?

Player Choice Please
I typed this up for the other thread but I guess it hit the post cap or something:

Plenty of people here with reading comprehension fail.

Very few (almost no one that I've seen) are arguing that having HC mode being locked is good or has to be done. People are instead giving reasons for why Blizzard locked it. And plenty of good reasons have been given. Just because you want HC from the start does not mean that those reasons don't exist or aren't good enough.

Don't get so bent out of shape about a game. And a select few need to stop speaking as though they are the voice of all HC players out there.

Blizzard does not cater to you.
/signed

Pro-Choice.

There is no reasonable argument for not including HC right off the bat. Don't ruin my ideal first play through - I'm challenging myself to beat the game on normal for the first time without dying on a barb. And for anyone saying "just play a SC char and delete if you die." That's just dumb. Why should I have to redo a play through just b/c I have to jump through some pointless hoops? Let me play as I intend to from the beginning.

Just put like 10 warning signs before you make a HC char so ppl don't "accidentally" (...>.<) make one. I can enjoy the story just fine too while in HC...and in all honesty I don't play Blizzard games for the story.

EDIT:
A blue should really reply to this because I'm going crazy checking these various posts all day just to see what the development on this controversy is. Also, can anyone give any solid link that actually states that Blizz intends to include locked Hardcore? The OP just says he's "heard" that this is true. Anyone got some evidence?
Very few (almost no one that I've seen) are arguing that having HC mode being locked is good or has to be done. People are instead giving reasons for why Blizzard locked it. And plenty of good reasons have been given. Just because you want HC from the start does not mean that those reasons don't exist or aren't good enough.

Oh, but we have to be careful here. Providing developper reasons from a gamer's viewpoint is necessarily speculative — some think they know Blizzard's intents. But do they? The humble truth is we can't know for sure.

Besides, let's not forget Blizzard developpers are also gamers themselves. At which point has it been said that company (possible) intents should prevail over their own employees' preferences? Of course, we can't know for sure what those preferences are, but we'd be kidding ourselves if we said with a straight face that everyone there obviously prefers softcore.

For all we know, the yet-to-take decision to lock hardcore might not be unanimous inside Blizzard.

Also, can anyone give any solid link that actually states that Blizz intends to include locked Hardcore? The OP just says he's "heard" that this is true. Anyone got some evidence?

This post includes a few JW quotes with the source: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3565946637?page=22#428