Beta is very underwhelming aesthetically

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 8 Next
11/23/2011 06:41 AMPosted by marshmallow
It's too late. Ever since Blizz transitioned to 3D games all their models look like they're made of plastic (compare SC1 to 2). Just try to focus on having fun with the game itself.

I disagree, the game is in beta and they have not set a release date. If anything, now is the time to fix such issues, to listen to what your fan base is telling you. And what I am suggesting would not take that long to fix. I routinely worked under much more rigorousness deadlines than the open ended one they have. Ultimately I think it would add to the replay-ability of the game. We all want to see a better product put out. Producing a game that will still be played a decade from now may not be possible, and unrealistic. But trying to make it the best possible game they can certainly is not.
11/23/2011 09:41 AMPosted by xMaeRx
Pro tips guise: While some people might be okay with the change in art style, you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere near as many people who WANT IT that way.<br /><br />Yes, the game is different. Some people are willing to deal with it, but why deal with it? The only reason: It's not going to change. Stop acting like people are wrong for disliking what sold the earlier games. <br /><br />Complacency is sickening fanboyism, period.
I like the new art style and I want it to stay this way for the simple reason that it'll still look pretty and involving in five, maybe even ten years, while a fanwank game like Crysis 2 will look dated, compared to its competitors, in 2-3 years.
Complainer is complaining just to complain.

Move along

/sips coffee
Regrettably this is one of the few things I don't quite like either.
Diablo 1 scared the sh** out of me.. Ok I was way younger back then.. but then again, Diablo 2, act2, the darkness.. again scared to !@#$.
Now everything looks fluffy, agreed, wow'ish. Missing the Gothic/Dark edge..

This is what I get out of every thread complaining about how it's not "scary/creepy/too cartoony"<br /><br />"The game isn't as creepy at age 25 as D2 was when I was 13"<br /><br />No kidding? <br /><br />I'd invite anyone to show me which Blizzard game has ever had ultra realistic graphics. They've always been cartoony... even Blackthorne had silly graphics and animations. But people are just noticing this with D3? Please. If you want ultra realistic, go play MW3.<br /><br />
That's quite honestly one of the funniest things I've ever seen posted on any forum, ever.
<br /><br />A horror game would be Amnesia. Horror has the sole purpose of scaring someone. Just because demons are involved, doesn't make it horror. <br /><br />Diablo 3 is an action RPG with dark gothic tones. Simple as that.

I think you are over simplifying. It is that the animation style is not befitting the theme and style the game is presenting. Which has overtones of the horror genre, that is indisputable, if you can't see that fact then this discussion is moot. It is not whether you are scared by the movies and games, but whether the game effectively immerses you in the theme it is trying to establish. The animations seem to remove me from the very theme that the cut scenes and material try to establish.

You do not need realistic graphics to pull this off. You simply need to stay within the boundaries of what you are attempting to do. If you think the previous D1 and D2 were cartoonish as well in their animations, then you would probably disagree.
11/23/2011 10:20 AMPosted by DarkGollumQC
<br /><br />I disagree, the game is in beta and they have not set a release date. If anything, now is the time to fix such issues, to listen to what your fan base is telling you. And what I am suggesting would not take that long to fix. I routinely worked under much more rigorousness deadlines than the open ended one they have. Ultimately I think it would add to the replay-ability of the game. We all want to see a better product put out. Producing a game that will still be played a decade from now may not be possible, and unrealistic. But trying to make it the best possible game they can certainly is not.
<br /><br />You seem to only complain for the shake of complain. The model are fine. You seem to forget we didn't even see 10% of the model of the game...<br /><br />And yes. D3 can live a decade. Like d2 does.

I disagree.

We are on a message board discussing a game beta. The inherent nature of message boards is to discuss the subject at hand. No one forces you to read this. You don't like it, then don't read it. Problem solved.

If you feel not enough attention is being paid to the positive aspects of the game, then feel free to start a new thread discussing it.
11/23/2011 10:31 AMPosted by Chromeburn
The inherent nature of message boards is to discuss the subject at hand. No one forces you to read this. You don't like it, then don't read it. Problem solved.

Can't discuss something when only one side is present :) just saying

also

^ sounds butt hurt

/sips coffee
Pro tips guise: While some people might be okay with the change in art style, you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere near as many people who WANT IT that way. Yes, the game is different. Some people are willing to deal with it, but why deal with it? The only reason: It's not going to change. Stop acting like people are wrong for disliking what sold the earlier games. Complacency is sickening fanboyism, period.
Im simply saying these things wont matter once youre playing the game. at this moment in time everyones nitpicking at everything and looking at it. nothing wrong with speaking what you like but tell me if you were truly playing the game and had beeen playing the game for like 30 mins youre really into it do you think youll be paying attention to the animations of what they do before you brutally murder them?

This is a fair point, that the game is so immersive, perceived flaws will fall by the wayside. However that was my main complaint, that it was hurting my own immersion into the story and theme. 45 minutes in I was looking at my watch, for a film that is a bad sign. For a game meant to be played endlessly, that is a worse sign. It may be different for you, and not affect you at all. I can't say. I can only pass on what I saw and felt from the beta.
Diablo 1 was a horror game.
Diablo 2 was a semi horror, dark and grim, mass monster slaying simulator.
Diablo 3 is dark and grim, mass monster slaying simulator.

See the progression?
11/23/2011 10:48 AMPosted by Ritalynn
^ I bet you wear socks with sandels while you play at the computer. Those long brown ones with triangles on them.<br /><br />I'm just picturing the dullest person in the world as i read your posts.<br /><br /><br /><br />/sips coffee

You sound immature and like you're trolling. Enjoy your coffee.
I disagree.

We are on a message board discussing a game beta. The inherent nature of message boards is to discuss the subject at hand. No one forces you to read this. You don't like it, then don't read it. Problem solved.

If you feel not enough attention is being paid to the positive aspects of the game, then feel free to start a new thread discussing it.

we are on a game forum for a game that is 99 percent finished in which the developers main problem is getting the servers to where they get everyone online..

if you want a rpg zombie killer with better graphix and non wow gameplay .. A secret world will be out early next year ..
Ok Chrome, first of all....

If you haven't figured it out by my references, I work in the film and TV industry

I think you have that syndrome that some people get when trying to enjoy a movie or game whenever they work in that industry.

Example: My buddy is into film big time. He cannot simply sit down and enjoy a movie without noticing lighting, camera angles, etc.. It's like you are so tuned into the details of everything, that you cannot step back and look at the big picture and enjoy it for what it is.

Secondly, I have gone back and watched gameplay footage more closely to see what you're talking about. You're right, it does look a bit silly, for that ONE demon. The rest of the enemies look pretty mean and vicious and want to eat your face, etc.

I thought it was rather funny to see this big fat demon running around with his arms flailing about in the air.

Is it really so wrong to have a little smidge of humor in an otherwise evil and demonic setting? I almost feel like this has become such a normal thing in modern games. You need humor to break up the mood in games and keep things interesting.

Look at Diablo 2 cow level. Yes, it was a hommage to Diablo1, and expanding on the whole "secret cow level" rumor that erupted into a meme. But it was also just simply humorous. Giant cows running around with poleaxes screaming "MOO MOO MOOOOO!!!" ? I lol'd the first time I went there. Heck, I still lol today.

I say keep the animation for the humor aspect. No, I don't want every single enemy to run around like that, but I think he is just out of place enough for it to be entertaining when you do come across that one enemy type.
I think we are blessed really .. we can get a whole bunch of games to play now because even building a game with 5 year old graphics a game can still look good and fit the personality of the game..

to be honest you have only seen a very small portion of monsters, youve only seen a small bit of act 1. How do you know monsters in act 4 will not be scary? And furthermore Diablo 1 and 2 were not scary. monster death animations were repetitive. Diablo 1 scared me when I was 8 years old, the butcher terrified me. I go back now and realize that it wasn't scary and most people have a sense of nostalgia when they think back on Diablo 1
If you don't enjoy Blizzards consistent art style, as in what you should expect in a Blizzard game, then don't play then. If you want to butcher beautiful artistry with horrible graphic settings then that's fine, go for it, but when you start complaining that a fat grotesque monster isn't moving realistic or terrifying enough you need to just stop.

I'm not sure what you want from it? How else is it supposed to move and act? It's bloated and can hardly move.

I don't know about the game being like WoW(because it isn't, at all, stop saying it, you're so wrong it's painful.) but the community certainly is whiny and terrible enough to be WoW's.