proposed change to monk

General Discussion
monks in real life and every other game do not use physical weapons. I propose you remove the weapon slots from monks and instead allow them to wear an additional ring on each hand. subject to balancing of course.
Wizards in real life are the leaders of the Klan. Instead of magic, the Wizard should just talk about how much he hates the Witch Doctor.
11/24/2011 05:28 PMPosted by KhaydarinXxX
monks in real life and every other game do not use physical weapons. I propose you remove the weapon slots from monks and instead allow them to wear an additional ring on each hand. subject to balancing of course.

I kinda see what you're saying. I made a monk that was using two swords yet was still punching his opponents. However, monks can still use those hand wrap things.
3/5 troll
11/24/2011 05:39 PMPosted by timecat
<br />I kinda see what you're saying. I made a monk that was using two swords yet was still punching his opponents. However, monks can still use those hand wrap things.<br />3/5 troll

how is this trolling at all? who would I be trolling? the NPC monk characters inefficiencies?
Demon Hunters in real life don't exist. I propose that in game the Demon Hunter should not exist.
11/24/2011 05:52 PMPosted by Hanakabo
Demon Hunters in real life don't exist. I propose that in game the Demon Hunter should not exist.

if its a non-real class or profession then you can do whatever you want with it because its fictitious. but if your using a real class/ form of martial arts you should atleast try to make it accurate. why not make a hockey game where the object is the game is to get the most touchdowns...
What if you are a gunslinger monk?

I think monks should have six shooters.

Also, demon hunters should have the option to duel wield wooden stakes and the skill set to support such a play style.
11/24/2011 05:57 PMPosted by LoveJohnny
What if you are a gunslinger monk?<br /><br />I think monks should have six shooters.<br /><br />Also, demon hunters should have the option to duel wield wooden stakes and the skill set to support such a play style.

ya why not just give the monk lightsabres.
While it's true that in the Beta, the best weapons for a Monk are ones that aren't usually associated with weaponless fighting styles. However, it may be revealed in time that the best weapons are the faster or slower weapons that are more specialized to the Monk that provide the best DPS.

Stop judging the iceberg by the visible ice.
11/24/2011 06:01 PMPosted by MeatSandwich
While it's true that in the Beta, the best weapons for a Monk are ones that aren't usually associated with weaponless fighting styles. However, it may be revealed in time that the best weapons are the faster or slower weapons that are more specialized to the Monk that provide the best DPS.<br /><br />Stop judging the iceberg by the visible ice.

i just think its weird that a non-weapon melee class by definition... uses weapons?

What are you talking about? Monks in real life Do use physical weapons...
Example: The Staff, Broadsword, Butterfly Swords, Kwan Dao (Long handed broad sword), Double Hook Swords, etc.

If you did any basic research other than rely on a few googled images, you'd realize that their arsenal seems paradoxical to their philosophy of peace, but it is necessary for the defense of the innocent and their temples from bandits and raiders.
monks in real life and every other game do not use physical weapons

/facepalm

Monks in real life Do use physical weapons...
Example: The Staff, Broadsword, Butterfly Swords, Kwan Dao (Long handed broad sword), Double Hook Swords, etc.

^

I want nunchucks.
While it's true that in the Beta, the best weapons for a Monk are ones that aren't usually associated with weaponless fighting styles. However, it may be revealed in time that the best weapons are the faster or slower weapons that are more specialized to the Monk that provide the best DPS.<br /><br />Stop judging the iceberg by the visible ice.
<br /><br />i just think its weird that a non-weapon melee class by definition... uses weapons?
Who defined Monks as a class, or anything for that matter, that doesn't use weapons?

Shaolin Monks are encouraged to learn to fight with whatever nonsense is on hand. From a broom or shovel to more traditional weapons, for example.
11/24/2011 06:00 PMPosted by KhaydarinXxX
ya why not just give the monk lightsabres.

That's a good idea. Monks in the star wars universe had lightsabers and you know how blizzard likes to pay homage to other franchises.

They can't call them lightsabers though. Maybe holy light sticks. I think that's a snappy name.
monks in real life and every other game do not use physical weapons

because the world of Sanctuary is just like real life and like every other game right?

Monks in ragnarok online use maces/fist weapons.

All skills in D3 are based on weapon damage. To make them weaponless, blizz would have to redesign the class completely and it's unplausible.
Think of the monk as a melee caster. They have weapons, but they don't actually use them.

It's actually very important for every class to have equally weighted item slots. If monks were "special" and had two extra ring slots instead of weapon slots, it would make class balance practically impossible since rings would have to be worth, stat-wise, as much as a weapon. At that point you might as well make weapons stat sticks for all classes and try to balance around that.