Why is D3 so graphic intensive?

General Discussion
First off, I know my gpu is low-end, etc, etc, but I'm still curious why d3 is requiring so much graphical power. sc2 can run on medium and I was playing this asian mmo on high this summer, so I imagined d3 can at least get by. However, right now d3 is getting around a whopping 5-10fps~ on minimal (not much to turn down anyways), even the hero screen feels choppy. It's like trying to play dota with a 1k ping.

The game is not some next gen 3D mmo so I'm wondering what is being rendered that kills fps...it's kind of unfortunate, a lot of the people hoping their system can run is probably going to have no chance in hell, gl kiting with 5fps xD

Ya I will have to get a desktop, but I was really hoping my laptop can run it. Students all carry laptops around and it would be such a convenience if I can at least play on it :'(
Potentially it's because D3's physics are pretty advanced. I agree it would be nice for a lot of people to be able to play on a laptop (especially students who likely only have laptops). Sounds like reducing minimum system requirements is something Blizzard should look into...
I knew someone was going to come trolling. I am simply curious why this bliz game is suddenly much more graphic intense compared to their usual products, especially when it doesn't look to be THAT much. I can run every bliz game fine up to sc2 thank you very, and fyi I didn't buy some stupid notebook.
Every one of their games has increased in requirements. You just happen to be at the point where your comp just simply isn't enough graphic wise. Just like my comp isnt up to par processor wise.

Both of us just need to bite the bullet and work towards a new comp.
You can get a decent desktop for $500-700 that will play d3 and most games that come out nowadays. For that price you should be able to go at least a few years if you're okay with middle of the road settings.
InXsane I don't even think you get it...no I didn't go to best buy and pick out a flyer deal, I ordered mine online and it was one of the best last summer, just a slightly weak gpu since most manufacturer always cheap out or grossly overcharge on it.

If you have played the game on minimal (which I doubt you have), you would realize that it's nothing too special. Yes it still looks great, but nothing I haven't seen before. For how much it requires, I would expect a freaking maelstrom using every physics effect in existence on the center of every screen, but there isn't.

I guess they decided to change the way the maps render or maybe it's all the little doodads...
11/24/2011 07:33 PMPosted by opCWAL
First off, I know my gpu is low-end, etc, etc, but I'm still curious why d3 is requiring so much graphical power. sc2 can run on medium and I was playing this asian mmo on high this summer, so I imagined d3 can at least get by. However, right now d3 is getting around a whopping 5-10fps~ on minimal (not much to turn down anyways), even the hero screen feels choppy. It's like trying to play dota with a 1k ping.<br /><br />The game is not some next gen 3D mmo so I'm wondering what is being rendered that kills fps...it's kind of unfortunate, a lot of the people hoping their system can run is probably going to have no chance in hell, gl kiting with 5fps xD<br /><br />Ya I will have to get a desktop, but I was really hoping my laptop can run it. Students all carry laptops around and it would be such a convenience if I can at least play on it :'(

What sort of logic is that? I'm really curious.

You know well enough that you have a terrible laptop. Yet here you are, complaining about... something. Your argument is stupid, so I have no choice but to treat you like a moron.

First of all, StarCraft 2 and Diablo 3 are different games. Ergo, don't compare them. Also, what were you trying to prove with your 'next gen mmo' blabber? That diablo has to look like garbage simply because you demand it?

On a side note, you can easily build a decent desktop for around $400-500 these days. Get a part time job in your spare time and stop whining. I did that, why can't you?
11/24/2011 07:47 PMPosted by RICAN_HAVOK
I think its the packets that are sent to the sever.

Nah if you have a bad internet connection you'll notice some lag, not low framerate.
What's your specs? And honestly, Diablo 3 isn't hard to run at all, compared to just about every other game released in the past couple years.
[/quote]<br /><br />What sort of logic is that? I'm really curious.<br /><br />You know well enough that you have a terrible laptop. Yet here you are, complaining about... something. Your argument is stupid, so I have no choice but to treat you like a moron.<br /><br />First of all, StarCraft 2 and Diablo 3 are different games. Ergo, don't compare them. Also, what were you trying to prove with your 'next gen mmo' blabber? That diablo has to look like garbage simply because you demand it?<br /><br />On a side note, you can easily build a decent desktop for around $400-500 these days. Get a part time job in your spare time and stop whining. I did that, why can't you?[/quote]

So it seems you can't post on the forum without people jumping to flame you.

I know that being a laptop my gpu is automatically much weaker than a desktop, yes. However that doesn't mean no laptop aside from ripoffs like alienware should run it. If you were actually in the fken beta and played on minimal, which you should actually have done before you flame me, you would be wondering yourself why the frames are so low. I literally see nothing mind blowing that would completely kill it. As for the next gen mmo, I was referring to stuff like blade&soul....those are the games I would actually expect to not run
Unless you're spending $1000 - $1500+ on your laptop (I'm in Canada, your mileage may vary), it's not a gaming laptop. Gaming on laptops has lot working against it such as:

- The CPU is usually under powered and is often tuned for low power consumption rather than performance

- The average laptop video card is not nearly as powerful as its desktop counterpart

- A large portion of laptop video cards use system memory. This memory is slower the graphics card memory and reduces the amount of memory available for your system.

- A lot of laptop hard drives are only 5400 rpm while desktop drives are 7200. A 5400 drive is noticeably slower than a 7200 drive

- With everything packed so tightly together, components ware out much faster on laptops.

Long story short, unless you're willing to spend big bucks on a gaming laptop and be prepared to replace it every 2 to 3 years (depending on how much you spend on it), your laptop simply isn't going to be a viable gaming machine for long.
FYI I spent 1.3k on it, stupid decision? Probably...
what's your laptop specs then?
Laptop really sux. Its may have a powerful CPU. But it will do little to the game-play. The graphic card is what it demands.