Why Blizzard is on top.

General Discussion
They make games for PC and MAC.

Most of the people who "lol mac" are the same people that feel the need to customize every single piece of technology they own. Some of them have simply never tried to play with a Mac. For the rest of us that just want a computer to check e-mail, listen to music, browse the web and play games we really don't care about customization. As for power, Macs are the industry standard for graphic design and mainstream video editing so of course they can pack a punch.

The only reason I got into Blizzard games was because I owned a Mac when I was little. Not by personal choice but because my stepfather is a writer and mother a graphic deisigner so they used it for work. When he and my mother wanted to purchase me a game, there was a very slim selection of games for Macs- Blizzard games- so they got me Diablo 1 and Starcraft 1. I grew up on Macs. Again, not by choice, but those are the cards I was dealt.

It was because of the fact that Blizzard makes games for EVERY computer user that they quickly rose to the top. Their games also happen to be some of the most polished in the industry, but I know I am not the only person that had the same situation growing up in terms of being stuck with what I was given.

It would be like if Activision only made Call of Duty for PS3 but not Xbox. Sure it's a good game, but the accessibility is what really brings in the sales.

If you are wondering why I made this post, it's because I tried to beta test SWtOR but the beta client is Windows only. Now the beauty of owning a Mac is that I can install a separate partition that lets me run Windows. HOWEVER, because Windows can be... flakey... at times, when I downloaded the installer and tried to run it, it told me that it could not be installed on "this version of Windows". I checked, and Windows XP SP2 is one of the approved OSs.

My immediate thought was, "Why can't I just install this on my OSX partition??"

Right after, "If it was a Blizzard game I could."

So I guess, thanks Blizzard, not for making good games, but for making ACCESSIBLE games.
I wouldn't say that's why they're "on top". Back in the day, Mac was what, 5 or 10% of total computer sales? PC simply dominated, and because of that, most games and software was developed for PC platforms.

However, I agree it's nice that Blizzard games are available on both PC and Mac platforms.

So, how about Linux?
Thanks Blizzard, for making good games. I could care less if you made horrible games that could be accessed from my phone. I mean, people do make those games. I don't play them.

But yeah, OP. A big part of the appeal of battle.net has always been, for me, the fact that it just works. I like Steam for the same reason, though I've certainly heard some disagreement from people who haven't had the same luck. I think it's a similar sentiment that you're describing about apple products in general.
I too grew up with only macs in the house. I too tip my hat to Blizzard for their commitment to accessibility.

11/28/2011 08:00 PMPosted by Kuzoh
Back in the day, Mac was what, 5 or 10% of total computer sales? PC simply dominated, and because of that, most games and software was developed for PC platforms.

Back in the day there were actually more quality developers making games for macs than there are now. But Microsoft doesn't like competition, so they would just buy out successful developers, like Bungie and Rare, and cancel any projects on competing systems.

It's nice to see other big name developers like Valve starting to branch out, though Steam for OSX is still severely lacking. It's always depressing to play a crude Mac port of a crude PC port of a console game.
They don't make games for Linux... and after looking at what windows 8 is going to be I'm thinking Linux :) But I'm glad they at least make games for Mac, it's nice to give mac users some love.
They aren't on top because they sale for mac. Mac is so little of the market. Good try though!

They are successful because blizzard north was phenomenal at coming up with lore and game design way ahead of their time. New blizzard in my opinion is simply righting the coat tails.
So, moral of your story is never buy a mac?

Done and done
I'm not a fan of Mac, but friends who are have showed me that even games which are Windows only can be played on a Mac by using a Windows emulator.
11/28/2011 09:02 PMPosted by Pez
They aren't on top because they sale for mac. Mac is so little of the market. Good try though!<br /><br />They are successful because blizzard north was phenomenal at coming up with lore and game design way ahead of their time. New blizzard in my opinion is simply righting the coat tails.

Mac is a gigantic part of the market nowadays.
11/28/2011 09:02 PMPosted by Pez
They are successful because blizzard north was phenomenal at coming up with lore and game design way ahead of their time. New blizzard in my opinion is simply righting the coat tails.

So just to be clear, you are saying Blizzard, who created monstrous classics like Warcraft and Starcraft on their own, is riding the coat tails of a studio who, when left to their own devices, made Hellgate London?

You're delusional if you think current Blizzard had nothing to do with the success that was Diablo. Blizzard North had some great ideas to be sure, but Diablo would have never become what it was without current Blizzard's obvious influence.

Also don't forget Blizzard North (then Condor) wanted to make Diablo with clay-mation before Blizzard took over and showed them how to make a game that didn't suck. Try that for your "dark and gritty" atmosphere, look at Clay Fighters for the SNES if you want to see what the game would have looked like if Condor had made the game on their own.
Im ssh'ing without PuTTY and theres nothing you can do about it.
Thanks Blizzard, for making good games. I could care less if you made horrible games that could be accessed from my phone. I mean, people do make those games. I don't play them.

Hay Angry birds is fun.... It's a good game to play when you are waiting for others to load.
11/28/2011 07:49 PMPosted by Phoenix
For the rest of us that just want a computer to check e-mail, listen to music, browse the web and play games we really don't care about customization. As for power, Macs are the industry standard for graphic design and mainstream video editing so of course they can pack a punch.

Yeah, the rest of us with an extra $500+ to burn on a Mac over a PC. Last I checked, graphic design and film students use PC's just as much as Macs. When it comes down to it, it's a personal preference thing (and a bigger wallet thing).
11/28/2011 10:57 PMPosted by Phoenix

If you Google their market share, a recent article places it at 5%. By which definition does the word "gigantic" apply?

I realize that Macs are doing better and better ever day. I wouldn't say that Mac is a gigantic part of the market yet though.
It is mainly because they weigh less.
11/28/2011 11:01 PMPosted by PlanetXpress
<br /><br />So just to be clear, you are saying Blizzard, who created monstrous classics like Warcraft and Starcraft on their own, is riding the coat tails of a studio who, when left to their own devices, made Hellgate London?<br /><br />You're delusional if you think current Blizzard had nothing to do with the success that was Diablo. Blizzard North had some great ideas to be sure, but Diablo would have never become what it was without current Blizzard's obvious influence.<br /><br />Also don't forget Blizzard North (then Condor) wanted to make Diablo with clay-mation before Blizzard took over and showed them how to make a game that didn't suck. Try that for your "dark and gritty" atmosphere, look at Clay Fighters for the SNES if you want to see what the game would have looked like if Condor had made the game on their own.

Nice try reading wiki and failing. Blizzard North didn't shut down until 2005. They were the ones who created Diablo. So yes, the current blizzard had nothing to do with the success that was Diablo.
11/28/2011 10:57 PMPosted by Phoenix

Lol. They're getting more popular by the day, but let's not be absurd here.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/11/16/macs_worldwide_market_share_reaches_15_year_high_at_5.html
11/28/2011 11:05 PMPosted by popeman
<br /><br />Hay Angry birds is fun.... It's a good game to play when you are waiting for others to load.

ipod games are also good for bathroom adventures. Some people read the newspaper, I play dumb games on my ipod.
11/28/2011 11:02 PMPosted by Icanhazheal
Im ssh'ing without PuTTY and theres nothing you can do about it.

$ echo Icanhazheal > /dev/null