wizards damage based off of 2 handed axe?

General Discussion
are they seriously going to release the game where casters get damage bonus and their rate of casting is dependent on what melee weapon they have equipped?

and why are monks able to use melee weapons, they are all about using their hand to hand physical combat...
spells scaling from weapon damage is a good thing
Yeah they can use melee weaps but i think that once they'll be arrived in nightmare and higher, they need to use real monks weaps.
Monks get stat bonuses from weapons but do not swing the weapons (unless they're fist weapons) with their attacks.

I enjoy the casters scaling with weapons a lot, much more variety.
from a balance perspective it makes a little bit of sense. but why is a small frail wizard weilding the same weapons as a barbarian with the same benefits?

i thought wizards should be using walking staffs and the such which would increase their damage but in other aesthetic ways then seeing everyone carrying around a 2 hand axe regardless of class.
11/23/2011 05:32 PMPosted by KhaydarinXxX
from a balance perspective it makes a little bit of sense. but why is a small frail wizard weilding the same weapons as a barbarian with the same benefits?

She's not, there's a negative impact to her casting speed from doing so.
why does the wizard get to use a melee weapon to cause ranged damage when every other class that uses a melee weapon has to actually use it in melee?
11/23/2011 05:34 PMPosted by Kateryna
<br />She's not, there's a negative impact to her casting speed from doing so.

it increases her spell damage though based off of the axe's stats. so if your using spells with a cool down you might as well yield the biggest baddest battle axe you can
it increases her spell damage though based off of the axe's stats. so if your using spells with a cool down you might as well yield the biggest baddest battle axe you can

Uh, no? There's no cooldown. You're getting more efficient AP usage but hindering your AP generating abilities and also being less mobile overall, with more spillover damage wasted as well.
11/23/2011 05:38 PMPosted by Cup
why does the wizard get to use a melee weapon to cause ranged damage when every other class that uses a melee weapon has to actually use it in melee?

True, you mean like how in d2 when sorcs could use orbs and staves? Or in WoW where all casters use daggers, maces, swords, and staves? You sure do have a point there buddy!
11/23/2011 05:44 PMPosted by Kateryna
<br />True, you mean like how in d2 when sorcs could use orbs and staves? Or in WoW where all casters use daggers, maces, swords, and staves? You sure do have a point there buddy!

the sword that a mage uses in wow is not the same sword a rogue or warrior would be using if i remember correctly.

they normally have almost no physical damage on them and all the stats are +magic power and int.
the sword that a mage uses in wow is not the same sword a rogue or warrior would be using if i remember correctly.

they normally have almost no physical damage on them and all the stats are +magic power and int.

But it's a sword? A melee weapon, no? You could in essence run up and smack someone with it.
Plus there are no magic stats anymore, +attack and +attack speed all work for everything, with the exception of %wizard damage.
Well the tendency to use weapons like that will be lower. A two handed axe is not going to have the best affixes for a wizard. I believe Blizzard has stated that most Wizards will still be using wands because their stats are optimal for wizards.

I wouldnt be too worried
i dont like how wizards and barbarians are competing for the same melee weapons.

one should be more designed for physical combat, the other more magically enhanced.
i dont like how wizards and barbarians are competing for the same melee weapons.

one should be more designed for physical combat, the other more magically enhanced.

No one is competing for weapons except on the AH, drops are yours. And chances are there will be a very slim portion of people who actually use 2H as wizards.
when it comes to trading / AH everyone is competing. also, if you can use axe's as a wizard you have less stuff to trade to barbarians for wizard weps from them.

Loot drops are not shared among the group.

when it comes to trading / AH everyone is competing. also, if you can use axe's as a wizard you have less stuff to trade to barbarians for wizard weps from them.

Oh okay, you're trolling. Or at least stretching it to make a point.
making drops useful to more than 1 class is also a good thing. op is either trolling or seriously a retard

Wizard weapons are just as common as barbarian massive weapons, what on earth is your point? You want every weapon that's not a wizard weapon to be yours?
i do remember blizzard saying that they wanted any class to go any direction for a build if they wanted as in a caster being a tank so it would make since for that caster to use a shield. i would guess the only reason that they are able to use the same thing as say a barb would be the option to change to any play style regardless of class.