Others should not be able to see ur gear...

General Discussion
Prev 1 13 14 15 26 Next
i disapprove of this idea. i love the inspect option in beta
Pure selfishness, people want to read builds on the internet from people who like to share but want to hide eventual good things they find.
If we've constructed a build/gear combo that works for me but -looks- crap from first inspection, then I'd want to disallow players from inspecting me.

This would eliminate those "omg you noob, your gear sucks" comments that I've heard -rumors- about, but never experienced after 5 years playing wow.

If my gear happens to have good magicfind (accidentally) I think that shouldn't be held against me. Maybe it kicks !@# at the same time?
Maybe I outgear the content etc

Some players won't stop to think before they react to your item selection...and say things about your mother, your playing skill, intelligence, gender preference, right to breed, which creatures you have romantic business with, your state of intoxication etc

This won't happen often, but I'd like an option to hide my gear from random players.
Just incase some of the players out there don't share my philosophy of 'games should be played for fun, and it's ok to pick gear based on fun instead of min/max'.
11/24/2011 08:04 PMPosted by TheCulture
Some players won't stop to think before they react to your item selection...and say things about your mother, your playing skill, intelligence, gender preference, right to breed, which creatures you have romantic business with, your state of intoxication etc

At that point you could just put them on ignore (assuming D3 will have an ignore feature) and kick/leave their game instance
11/24/2011 08:04 PMPosted by TheCulture
This won't happen often, but I'd like an option to hide my gear from random players.<br />Just incase some of the players out there don't share my philosophy of 'games should be played for fun, and it's ok to pick gear based on fun instead of min/max'.

Implying hiding gear makes others share your philosophy.

Sorry, your reasoning just doesn't make any sense.
Why would it matter? Unless it's PvP which I seriously doubt they'll allow.

I Didn't read your whole post. If you did actually said what I said in there then ignore this lol.
11/24/2011 10:50 AMPosted by GimpyCPU
Did not read whole thread, but inspect is why there is GS in wow. I always disliked GS, I prefer to value my ability to play over my gear, related to my dedication to the game.

While player skill is important, but gear in a game like WoW is also just as important. If you have the wrong gear, it could really hurt the group you are with. A poorly geared tank or healer could mean a night of wipes in a raid.
I think looking at a player's gear, achievements, and skill selection are fine. This wont be like WoW where you have to walk a fine line to avoid total wipes. Further more, item choices are not as hardcoded into the game as they are in WoW.

Looking at the gear and skill choices of a player can be a fun and educational experience for everyone. Newer players can learn a thing or two, which is important for a complex RPG.

And yes, it's also a way for high end players to show off their gear to others. I hate to break it to you, but when someone is wearing a kickass super rare armor, they like to be complimented for it.

However, I think there are some compromises that can be made here. In PvP, do not allow the other side to gear/skill check you.

Okay then tell me this just how are you going to have the time to truly look at someone else's gear/skill in PvP. If you tried to do that to me I could own you quite easily because you are busy looking at what I have and not at what I am doing. Now if the game had 8 player teams then maybe yes you could get away with it. But not a party of four on four. More so if they had a challenge mode PvP where it is one on one.
Agree, totally.
Agree Sir
There's more sense of community when you ask someone for advice than just looking at their character in an armory or inspect. What's social about inspecting someone?

Obviously you will be able to tell the general progression of a player just by the appearance of their gear, you can see the 3 steps on the game guide, how you go from looking like a peasant to an ornate noble character, as well as your followers. But without seeing their gear can you really tell whether they are built more for damage, speed, or tanking (phys or elemental)? Because in general, by upgrading one trait you sacrifice another, these are the choices that we want to have private. I mean really they're gonna show the spellbar? You may say oh yeah they can tell by the graphics anyways what rune you put in it, then let them tell by the graphics. This doesn't give them insight into your passive skills

So Thugmage, you really believe that players will be too stupid to figure out the passives based on the active skills. I do not think so, I have full confidence that there are many players that are far smarter than you could even realize.
Where's the irony? D3 gear is not like WoW gear. The point I was making in WoW is that EVERYONE should have brutal (the same gear) because it's extremely easy to get and there's really no other choice unless you happen to find a blue once you pass 70 that's better but at 70 brutal can't be beat. So the reason the charts look like that compared to say other mages is because 1: spell/talent/glyph setup and 2: how well the player uses his setup.

And the reason I'm not lvling this to lvl 85 fast is because I just came back to WoW while I'm waiting for D3, I was thinking it would be comming out in November until blizzard announced otherwise, so I pretty much just lvl'd off BGs because that's what me and my friends like to do in WoW. No, I did not get the annual pass and yes I will be canceling my subscription to WoW when D3 comes out, so why invest in WoW? The net time I play my lvl 85 with its conquest gear will be useless compared to the lvl 90s with the new honor gear since with every level jump the greens of level 86 will be better than the epics of 85, at least that's been the pattern until now. But my question is, why are you focusing on me and not the argument at hand?

But the whole point is that the other players are leveling their characters, so they are not investing in the brutal gear. Because they are waiting to hit level cap then get all of the best epic gear that they can get for their character.

Also the one that replied to you was showing you that since you have a bad build for PvP. That only reason you are winning is because of brutal gear. Which a lot of the other players are not working for because they are concentrating on leveling that way they can be at level cap with the best gear for PvP.

I kind of proves the point that you want this feature because you will have something to hide in D3, No it will not be your awesomeness, it will be that you are, according to him, hiding the fact you are a bad. Wanting to be carried in PvP because you have a lousy build.
11/24/2011 07:41 PMPosted by chopu
AGREE. im afraid of cookie-cutter builds like in WoW.

The only cookie cutter builds that could exists, if any would be ones that are truly optimized. Which would only be a few per class. But that does not make all other builds non viable for soloing inferno. There will no doubt be many viable (non optimized) builds that can solo inferno. And that is what the OP and others that agree with him are missing.
TLDR...

But based on your thread title, i"m gunna say that odds are there isn't much about your build that is so special that you need to keep it secret...

You're not a unique and special snowflake...

Just sayin...
It was nice to have your jaw drop when you first saw an epic item in diablo 2 in a trade window. Inspect is nice, but in WoW inspect feature brought gearscore, and no one likes gs when you don't have gear.

Playerscore/Gearscore (GS). Is just a tool, and some have abused it, but not everyone abused that tool. Some no doubt used it wisely, used it to tell when someone was not pulling their weight. Someone that did not even belong in that raid.

If we've constructed a build/gear combo that works for me but -looks- crap from first inspection, then I'd want to disallow players from inspecting me.

This would eliminate those "omg you noob, your gear sucks" comments that I've heard -rumors- about, but never experienced after 5 years playing wow.

If my gear happens to have good magicfind (accidentally) I think that shouldn't be held against me. Maybe it kicks !@# at the same time?
Maybe I outgear the content etc

This won't happen often, but I'd like an option to hide my gear from random players.
Just incase some of the players out there don't share my philosophy of 'games should be played for fun, and it's ok to pick gear based on fun instead of min/max'.

Sure there are some that will be jerks, that are looking for a perfectly optimize build and gear combo, because they are looking to farm inferno, as fast as possible. Similar tot the speed runs in WoW. They will have every right to take with them who they want. But here they can advertise that buy the name of the game that they want.

Like the following names, elitist jerks, speed freaks, speedracers, inferno speedfarm, etc... It is not hard to do, if Blizz still allows players to put in a description then they can describe the type of game it is and what type of players that they are looking for. But I do not think that it will be common.
There are really only two groups that hate inspect and each are for two different reason. They mask their real reason with ones like privacy, like I own this build and it is copyrighted, you must pay me in order to learn about it. But it all boils down to two different camps.

1. Bads: They know that they are a bad player, they know that they will not be making good builds in D3. They will be looking for others to carry them through the whole game. Help them get all of their best gear. They want to be carried to the phat loot in the PvE area. Then when they hit PvP they want others to carry them to victory. Then they can show off a banner that has a lot of achievements that they really did not earn. Instead they got them because of the other three players that busted their butts for them.

Without inspect they know that they do not have to have a decent build. They really do not need to contribute a lot as long as there are three others doing the job. So they can sit back and reap all of the benefits.

I am not talking about someone with a sub par build, take WoW for example. Let's say that a mage at max level has an average dps of 15k, but when fully optimized goes to 20k. Now someone with a dps of 17k is still a good player. They are not fully optimized but still a good player putting out good numbers. So they should not have anything to hide. No instead I am talking about the ones that are bad. The ones that only does 8k dps. Or the hunter that is out dps'd by his pet.

2. Hackers, in D3 there will not be much duping if any at all. Because of the online only feature it will be really hard for a player to get the code needed to dupe items. Those that can though would be wise not to sell a lot of them on any of the AH's. So what I think will happen if there are any dupes. They will be only for personal use. So you might see the equivalent of Enigma on more players than what should have Enigma.

Then players come to the forums, saying we just saw Enigma on 40+ players in PvP. We know you said that it's drop rate is .0001%, so then how come it is so common. Also some may even be able to make their own items with stats that are more powerful than what the devs had intended on. Let's say there is something equal to Botd. Now it's normal attack power is 300, but a hacker might figure a way to put an attack power of 500 on it. So he/she will one shot almost anything in the game. Players as well will be one shotted.

With inspect they know full well that they cannot do that without getting caught. They get caught then they know that they will have a $60 paper weight.
Being able to put together the best stats does not make you a skilled player. If you are threatened by another player using your build against you, then you must be convinced that they are better players than you.

Take my build if you want it. I will still win.
Having the option to disable inspection would lessen the rate of descent into the world of everyone doing everything the same way like good little cookies. You know, that thing the devs seem hell-bent on preventing...

And yes, the internet will provide a wealth of information on builds and gear. As it should. That doesn't mean every wants to use it. It also doesn't mean everyone who doesn't want to use it is a "bad" or selfish or any of the other pejoratives being thrown around. Diablo is an adventure game for many people- not this hyper competitive e-muscle flex off people have projected onto the community as a whole. That said, players looking for a more flavorful experience might want to be a little mysterious. Or maybe they'd like to try some conventionally sub-optimal tactics without having to explain themselves. You have to remember, this isn't world of warcraft. Yes, it is multiplayer, but the characters aren't dependent on each other in the same way. If I q for a dungeon in WoW and I see someone with no gems or enchants or the wrong armor type or weapons that is information I need because I can't succeed without them. In D3 I can just go clear a different area.

In the end I don't think having the option to remain a little mysterious would hurt gameplay or the community.