Others should not be able to see ur gear...

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 26 Next
I agree and honestly this is one of those features were you could almost say Blizzard either listens to their fans or they don't. I understand that adding a disable/enable option is a little extra work and they have bigger and more important things to work on if they don't have this option but lets face the facts here A HUGE portion of the diablo III fans DO NOT WANT to share their gear and skills with other players and a disable/enable option fits THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS. You wanna show off go ahead enable it! if you don't then disable character sharing it is really that simple so for Blizzard to not include something like this would be very upsetting not only for those that want it but it says something about how much they listen and appreciate their fans in my opinion. I say this because this has been brought up before on the old forums several times and I think we even had a blue comment on it once but they were 15+ page threads and it was clearly favored.

On a side note your opponent is going to know what skills you are using with what runes regardless if they can inspect you or not because of the visuals as long as they are learned in that class anyways. Gear however should be hidden.
Agree. I hated it in EQ, hate it in WoW, hate it.
11/23/2011 09:34 AMPosted by Difusion
I agree and honestly this is one of those features were you could almost say Blizzard either listens to their fans or they don't. I understand that adding a disable/enable option is a little extra work and they have bigger and more important things to work on if they don't have this option but lets face the facts here A HUGE portion of the diablo III fans DO NOT WANT to share their gear and skills with other players and a disable/enable option fits THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS. You wanna show off go ahead enable it! if you don't then disable character sharing it is really that simple so for Blizzard to not include something like this would be very upsetting not only for those that want it but it says something about how much they listen and appreciate their fans in my opinion. I say this because this has been brought up before on the old forums several times and I think we even had a blue comment on it once but they were 15+ page threads and it was clearly favored. <br /><br />On a side note your opponent is going to know what skills you are using with what runes regardless if they can inspect you or not because of the visuals as long as they are learned in that class anyways. Gear however should be hidden.

First, I wanna say good post. Like I said at the end of my original post, those that are worthy can probably tell a lot of the stuff you got going on just by watching you play. You can tell a lot of the gear by the character's appearance, and you can see what skills they are using, but not all. You don't see the "passives" for one, and a majority of the players won't be able to tell what's right in front of their eyes. Like you said, it takes some knowing of the class, and that's really all I was asking for, to give the players that spend time developing these tactics a little chance at having a unique build.

Let me give you an example. In WoW, I was always a frost mage and a rogue, even in vanilla, when EVERY mage used the "instant pyroblast" build, I always liked the survivability of frost and I had more of a "double frostbolt" build, where I still used presence of mind to cast a second instant frostbolt. Not so different in nature, but worlds appart when you look at survivability. Another aspect was the way I moved and my choice of positioning where I blinked. In D2 for example I always favored the faster casting frames on my sorc vs damage. That 200 fcr will keep me alive, you try catching a sorc teleporting circles around u, at least until the farcast and auto aim and desynch and all that BS came out. I like things like this to be my choice to give away. Maybe there's a good reason I chose that 10fcr/tripple high resist/life ring over stone of jordan, it should be my choice to show it or not.
11/23/2011 09:31 AMPosted by Bahfome
I completely disagree!<br /><br />Being able to see "all of this" info, sidesteps the possibility of people being jerks, and feeding mis-information about what works and what doesn't.<br /><br />Let's all remember that Diablo 3 is a CO-OPERATIVE game, and that PVP is NOT going to be an supported e-sport.<br /><br />Also, seeing someone's build still provides zero insight into actual gamer skill. How many exact duplicates of firemages are there in WoW? Do they all play the same, Hell no!<br /><br />So relax, have some dip, everything is going to be just fine. 8)
<br /><br />What you consider mis-information was probably their opinion at the time, but you found out for yourself later on that it didn't work so well for you. The point here is, you found out for yourself. You can try your own combinations, or look up builds that people choose to post on their own, I'm sure they all have some kind of comments or rating system where you can tell from the opinions of others that the build is generally accepted to be a solid build, if you don't want to try your own. But at least those people had the option and chose to show off and brag "I got the best build check it out", whereas me, "I got the best build and I'm gonna keep it that way" is more my mindset.

And seeing someone's build provides a lot of insight into someone's gamer skill. I remember inspecting people on WoW before duels and I would know who I would wipe untouched and who might possibly be a challenge before it started just from talents.
11/23/2011 09:03 AMPosted by Thugmage
If it doesn't benefit me in PvP, it's a waste of time.

You shouldnt play Diablo 3.

PvP wont be balanced.
If it doesn't benefit me in PvP, it's a waste of time.
<br /><br />You shouldnt play Diablo 3. <br /><br />PvP wont be balanced.
<br /><br />That was for WoW. In D3 PvE can be competitive too due to the economy. There is no BOP BS, although I can kind of understand while they did it on WoW. I'm always looking for the best way to get the most valuable gear the fastest, so that I can make my PvPers better =). No it won't be balanced, but neither is WoW or any other game. Not every possible type of build will be viable in PvP, but every class will have at least one decent type of build for PvP, and by type of build I mean one spamable and one finishing move type spell that can be used to great effect, while the rest like passives of course is customizable. For example in diablo 2, druids weren't balanced, If you PvP'd with a druid and you weren't wind, you were useless when synergies kicked in in 1.10. But the point is druid had a good PvP type, and so did every other class.

As long as there is no one class type that's just outright overpowered across the board PvP will be fine. And if there is I'm sure blizzard will do something about it. PvP doesn't need to be balanced like in WoW where all 3 trees need to be viable, but at least one of the trees needs to be competitive for each class and as long as one is not clearly above the rest and they all have some kind of weakness, we're good to go.
If you can't tell, I ONLY play RPG games for the competition. I could care less about quests or being the first to down a boss, or having the newest mount. If it doesn't benefit me in PvP, it's a waste of time.
Then you're playing the wrong game. Diablo is a PvE co-op game and always has been. If you want to PvP competetively, do it in another game.

And besides that, if you want to differentiate yourself in skill from other players then do it, and stop acting like you are going to come up with some unique combination that you need to protect.
I liked how in Diablo II people couldn't see your "build".

Actually they could see your build. If your client gets the information from another player, someone's going to make a program that can display that information to the user. This happened in Diablo 2 and if they don't allow us to inspect other players, hackers will so you can't really stop it.

That's also one of the biggest reasons they implemented the RMAH. They either fight it by being incredibly restrictive (ie strict binding rules) which ruins the type of game they want, or they implement and support it so it's available to everybody.

That being said I don't really care either way, it would be kind of cool to be able to keep your build secret, but you can't and it's not really the end of the world either.

In Diablo 2 there was another aspect of competition, and that was the economy itself because some gear was VERY VERY hard to get,

Really? Gear was hard to get in Diablo 2? I'd love to know what game you were playing because of dupes and item selling sites all gear was incredibly easy to get.
Really.... people looking at your achievements and gear is an issue...

/sigh
I'm speaking of 1.09 and earlier, when D2 was a good game before the hacks. Now it's a hackfest with autoaims and spambots and what not. I was one of those people that grinded for the 40 sojs to buy that windforce, only to have it later made worthless by dupes.

And if you look at my previous posts I really had no problem with achievements look at'em all you want lol. All I'm asking is to give people the option not to share their strategy, that's not too much to ask is it? The option. If they want to brag, they can brag.
11/23/2011 09:15 AMPosted by DirtSpider
I don't care but they should have an option for those that do.

More options isn't always the best course of action. If they made options for every little thing, we'd have a 400 page option menu.

That said, whether or not inspecting will be in game, Diablo 3 will undoubtedly have an armory. The game is *all* about items and gear. Blizzard is absolutely going to provide a means to check peoples gear out. Sorry.

11/23/2011 10:10 AMPosted by Thugmage
I was one of those people that grinded for the 40 sojs to buy that windforce, only to have it later made worthless by dupes.

Please. If you were buying a Windforce via SoJ's, you were already aware that duping was already rampant. SoJ's didn't magically become a currency because Blizzard said so, they became a currency because gold was worthless. Why? Duping.

Nice try though.
11/23/2011 10:10 AMPosted by Thugmage
All I'm asking is to give people the option not to share their strategy, that's not too much to ask is it? The option. If they want to brag, they can brag.

Yes, it is, because it adds nothing to the game of value to keep that information from other players. You'll just have to find another way to feel special about yourself.
That means should be in the form of an armory on the battle.net website, not by looking at what people are wearing. It's one thing to be able to see the list of available items, it's another to see what people are choosing to wear in combination.

It's obvious that in inferno you will HAVE to have very high resist, and some form of damage reduction even if you are not a tanking class, or you will probably get 1-hit. But the option of how you get your max resists and dmg reduce etc are a choice and in almost every case you will need to sacrifice something else for those last points, whether it's life, mana, spirit, casting speed, magic find. Again, I just think that you should have the option to have your build hidden.
what if....we used the book, as a hat?
Sure there was some duping. You can't tell me you really believe there won't be some form of automated gold farmers in the first 3 months D3 goes live. Heck some of the people with beta are probably already working on it. But the economy wasn't ruined because of it. If nothing else the sojs helped because it created a currency that Diablo 2 was lacking. Gold was worthless because you could max out in minutes and there was nothing in-game you could do with it except gamble.
Really.... people looking at your achievements and gear is an issue...
/sigh

I agree with the above quote in this post of mine.
It is not a big deal this is not a game that is purely about JUST YOU... nor was Diablo 1/2. The simple fact of the matter is that it will not affect you in any way. Don't give me the cockamamie bull!@#$ excuse, it ruins it for me because they can see my items/skill set up... seriously thats not a good reason. the simple fact here is that it wont be effecting any player by allowing others to inspect your' items. In most cases it will give players a baseline for how they have progressed in the game with items/runes and also open some new things to some players eyes when they see a certain skill/rune setup they never thought of(this doesn't mean they are dumb noobs).

I personally do not see any harm in this feature being in D3, the only thing this fixes is the liars that can no longer be fake about the things they say they have on... remember in D2? o i have an Enigma etc etc etc etc etc.. but they really don't and are just lien fails that have to make themselves look good to the other inter-web peoples. The OP comes across as one of those people to me and so do quite a few in this post but hey more power to you, sorry you can no longer make stuff up because people can check on your stuff and then laugh and poke fun because you are a liar. Being inspected will change nothing in your game play at all...if you are so worried about it, I would suggest not playing with any one ever!!! no im just kidding, but honestly get over it guys/gals you are going to be OK!

How is people looking at your gear/achievements an issue in the first place??????????