Others should not be able to see ur gear...

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 26 Next
I'm not opposed to other people seeing my gear/build. It's not like builds are actually important since you can just swap skills whenever in town. It doesn't cost anything.

As for gear, since there's a lot of randomization, there's no real easy way for someone to copy you.

Also they may copy you, but you find a new item/build that you think is an improvement. They won't know since they may never play with you again.

And if your build is really that good, it'll be out there on the net, discovered by someone else as well. So why worry about it?
It's called privacy dude. Not everyone wants other people snooping in on what they have or what they've done. What do you think, that you're "entitled" to snoop on other people ?
!@#$, what has society become...
But according to Blizzard's design, your build and items aren't private information. So I mean, aren't you both sort of feeling entitled?
+1 Agree
11/23/2011 10:50 AMPosted by Nazárid
It is not a big deal this is not a game that is purely about JUST YOU... nor was Diablo 1/2. The simple fact of the matter is that it will not affect you in any way. Don't give me the cockamamie bull!@#$ excuse, it ruins it for me because they can see my items/skill set up... seriously thats not a good reason. the simple fact here is that it wont be effecting any player by allowing others to inspect your' items. In most cases it will give players a baseline for how they have progressed in the game with items/runes and also open some new things to some players eyes when they see a certain skill/rune setup they never thought of(this doesn't mean they are dumb noobs).<br /><br />I personally do not see any harm in this feature being in D3, the only thing this fixes is the liars that can no longer be fake about the things they say they have on... remember in D2? o i have an Enigma etc etc etc etc etc.. but they really don't and are just lien fails that have to make themselves look good to the other inter-web peoples. The OP comes across as one of those people to me and so do quite a few in this post but hey more power to you, sorry you can no longer make stuff up because people can check on your stuff and then laugh and poke fun because you are a liar. Being inspected will change nothing in your game play at all...if you are so worried about it, I would suggest not playing with any one ever!!! no im just kidding, but honestly get over it guys/gals you are going to be OK!<br /><br />How is people looking at your gear/achievements an issue in the first place??????????

Really? I'm a liar? It's not about making stuff up what I have on, the point is I don't want you to know so you can copy, I won't tell you, and I could care less what you think about my "progression" based on items because when push comes to shove, hit that hostile button and put your money where your mouth is.
11/23/2011 09:03 AMPosted by Thugmage
You had your own skills and your own gear and if someone wanted some tips, you, at your own discretion could give them advice or even charge for it (whatever currency was traded at the time, runes, soj's, I guess in Diablo 3 gold is good).

So you’re the type of person not to help out anyone unless you get something from it? Wow, that is messed up... Even if you don’t want anything for tips or to look at your items would it is so bad if someone did see them? How about this, they leave it the way it is where everyone can see anyone's gear (because they know what they are doing) and you can just make a game no one can join so you can play with whoever you see "worthy". It is win-win. You won’t have to worry about someone finding out your super-secret build and people won’t have to worry about getting yelled at for harmlessly trying to look at why you are so "cool".

BTW it will be next to impossible to hide your build unless you don't cast any spells at all. The same spell with a different runestone will look different. So as soon as you cast a spell it will be publicly known what spell and what runestone. The only thing you would really be hiding is your gear which, Unlike WoW, D3 will have gear with random stats. Which means it is super hard to have the same gear as anyone else. It is not as simple as looking at the name of the item and getting it. If you think someone would go through all the trouble of finding the same exact gear as what you have then you are more full of yourself then I thought.

11/23/2011 09:03 AMPosted by Thugmage
Before I go on rambling, let me get straight to the point, I like the charts to stay like this (see below) in WoW, and later in D3 because of the way I have my skillbar and the way I use my spells. I don't want a Thugmage junior running around without my consent =D.

Was this really the point of your message?? You want the charts to stay the same? In what way!? What was the point in showing us the PvP charts? Do you want the PvP charts to look like that? Well that has nothing to do with people seeing your build. Besides what else could they look like? Do you think in the charts would be posted your build??

First you talk about people inspecting you and then you show PvP charts? Maybe you should have had pictures of you inspecting someone. OR maybe you should talk about the charts which I still have no idea why you posted that... Please Pick one thing to be your main topic please.
You realize that in your precious wow people can see more about you than a D3 inspect right? Look up yourself in armory..

The difference is.. WoW is a strategy game, people who are good at thinking of strategies (raids and arena) excel where others fail. D3 is not a strategy game, at least at this point in time. I can't say for sure that inferno won't require at least a small amount of cognitive thought but my gut is telling me it will be a gear check and thats all.

Beyond all that, I can look at Athlete all day long, copy his gear, spec, and glyphs but he will still be a better holy paladin than me.
this is coming a diablo of warcraft lol
Yes. There is some eliticism here. It's a simple case of "I'm not showing what's under my hood". We're not trying to restrict noobs from getting the best gear etc like somebody said. The options are there for everyone, we just don't want people to see the choices we made, so they can do the work, the trials and tribulations, and make their own choices on how they're going to build their characters. For those that are incapable of doing this, there are already plenty of builds posted on the site that other people want to share. Maybe they're better than mine, maybe they're not. The point is I like to keep what's under my hood, under my hood.
11/23/2011 11:33 AMPosted by evAd
this is coming a diablo of warcraft lol

Lol you mean World of Diablo? or are you just trolling?

cant tell if serious or just troll :/
HentaiNinja I like to help people, when they ask specific questions. I.E. why doesn't faster cast rate help my trapsin as much? Because traps use IAS, fcr only helps mind blast. But to see my whole gearset, skillbar, runestones, that's simply too much you know?

And yes crafted and rare items, which will in most cases be the best for the slot due to the nature of the random stats, are hard to duplicate. In a lot of cases, it will quickly become apparent which stats are desirable in combination, but the uniques don't have random stats like the rares. They have a range of stats, I.E. they will have enhanced damage between X and Y, but not random stats like the rares. The rares are not something you can really plan on finding or even crafting, you just roll it and hope you get what you are looking for. Once you got some wealth you might buy it. But the issue here is the choices of the more easily obtainable items. Surely there is more than one cheap glove that's good for a demon-hunter, but which one to use and why?
You realize that in your precious wow people can see more about you than a D3 inspect right? Look up yourself in armory..<br /><br />The difference is.. WoW is a strategy game, people who are good at thinking of strategies (raids and arena) excel where others fail. D3 is not a strategy game, at least at this point in time. I can't say for sure that inferno won't require at least a small amount of cognitive thought but my gut is telling me it will be a gear check and thats all. <br /><br />Beyond all that, I can look at Athlete all day long, copy his gear, spec, and glyphs but he will still be a better holy paladin than me.
<br /><br />Laws. In WoW there are really no choices of gear. There is one set that's better than the next, heck you even have item level to tell you this. Your only choices are gems and enchants, and it's obvious based on your role which you would want. Yeah sometimes you have a choice of trinkets too, but again it's a very limited choice. There is a LOT more you can mix and match when it comes to diablo.

In Diablo having gear plays a more central role and the gear again is more mixed and matched. Sure there are sets, but using a full set was only half-decent in hell in D2. The only one I would even consider was full tal rasha for sorcs, but I always prefered the partial set of belt/ammy/chest and switch out the helm and orb. Got the MF bonuses and now I can get more mf. For PvP throw the sets away completely lol.
I don't mind personally, but I wouldn't mind the option to not allow others to inspect me.
Thugmage doesn't always do !@#$%^-, but when he does he does a lot.
Well an intelligent player would know exactly what you are using the first time you use it just because of how the spells will look different because of the runestones so would you really deny an uneducated person knowledge so they don't have to be a noob anymore.

Lets say you use Wave of Light and you have an Obsidian runestone in it. Wave of Light will look totally different with an Obsidian runestone then it would with any other runestone. So if someone saw a pillar come down from the heavens to slay demons and they didn't know what spell that was would you not tell them if they asked? and instead of them asking/being too shy to ask, wouldn't it be easier if they just look at what runestones you have?

I can kinda see were you are coming from with the gear but I think it would be an honor to have someone want to use my build. :D besides it would be harder to find the same gear with the same stats then to just uses the best gear they have. even if you get a legendary the chances of someone else getting that legendary with the same stats would be very hard.

There is 1 bar with 5 slots in it... its not like wow with 6+ bars with 12 slots in each. besides i am pretty sure you cant see where people have their skills placed.. :/