Leveling up doesn't feel like a big deal

General Discussion
When you leveled in diablo2, you'd have stats points and a skill point to put in. You felt stronger because you were manually tweaking your character to your liking. The only thing leveling means in d3 is unlocking a new ability that you may not even want to use. Once you hit level 30(?), you stop unlocking abilities altogether and leveling means almost nothing.

Another part of d2 that I liked was that once you hit level 90+, you are still leveling, albeit slowly. I feel like the level cap in d3 will be too easy to reach and at that point, there will be no point in killing non-elite mobs anymore so people will just run past half the mobs. Obviously, we don't know the ratio of elite to regular mobs in inferno so if almost every mob has elites then this won't be a problem.
There is no STR DEX MAG and VIT anymore? :(
Yes because getting strength to carry that BotD axe and then dumping everything into vitality was so much of an interesting system.
Seems like a pretty big deal to me! Getting skills and extra slots is actually a pretty big reward
11/24/2011 01:47 PMPosted by BazDefunct
Seems like a pretty big deal to me! Getting skills and extra slots is actually a pretty big reward

It is until you hit level 30(?) when you stop getting new skills and skill slots. The leveling system feels a lot more like an mmo. In d2, most people never really finished leveling, and I liked it that way. It meant that even though you were a high level, killing mobs still meant something.
Agreed. Leveling up made it more interesting, and killing mobs made it much more worthwhile.
I guess they don't wanna put stats points because if you fail at it you need to make a new character and they wanna make it so that players don't need to create characters over and over like in D2 in order to create different builds..
11/24/2011 01:49 PMPosted by timecat
and I liked it that way. It meant that even though you were a high level, killing mobs still meant something.

There's your issue.

In YOUR opinion this was better.
11/24/2011 01:49 PMPosted by timecat
It is until you hit level 30(?) when you stop getting new skills and skill slots.

And new skills did you get post 30 in Diablo 2 hmmm?
D2 System was basically get what you need and dump the rest in vitality. It wasnt much of a system to me.

I wont miss it.
See all the other threads on this topic for my response.
Leave comments about how the game feels for people who have actually played it. In Diablo II, you also stopped unlocking abilities past level 30, and the ability to allocate stat points was not 'interesting' or something to look forward to, since all you did was dump everything in vitality. Anyone claiming Diablo II's system is better, more involving or more enticing is either a troll or ignorant

What makes you think I haven't played it? I've already spent ~30 hours on it so far.

11/24/2011 01:55 PMPosted by Hakai
Killing mobs in Diablo II meant absolutely nothing past level 90, in terms of leveling, since your level past 90 meant nothing. You killed mobs for loot, that's it. Diablo III is exactly the same.

trollface.jpg

11/24/2011 01:59 PMPosted by BazDefunct
It is until you hit level 30(?) when you stop getting new skills and skill slots.
And new skills did you get post 30 in Diablo 2 hmmm?

You still made your current skill stronger at levels 30+
11/24/2011 02:05 PMPosted by timecat
You still made your current skill stronger at levels 30+

Yea you've picked your main skills and synergies and you're making them stronger. Diablo 3 does that automatically. I don't see what difference it makes if you manually put skill points into pre-determined skills or if the game does it for you. What's the difference?
11/24/2011 02:11 PMPosted by BazDefunct
I don't see what difference it makes if you manually put skill points into pre-determined skills or if the game does it for you. What's the difference?

The game isn't doing it for you though. It isn't doing anything. The only way to improve skills now is with runes.

Also, Hakai go back to 4ch, no one cares about your childish antics.