Leveling up doesn't feel like a big deal

General Discussion
When you leveled in diablo2, you'd have stats points and a skill point to put in. You felt stronger because you were manually tweaking your character to your liking. The only thing leveling means in d3 is unlocking a new ability that you may not even want to use. Once you hit level 30(?), you stop unlocking abilities altogether and leveling means almost nothing.Another part of d2 that I liked was that once you hit level 90+, you are still leveling, albeit slowly. I feel like the level cap in d3 will be too easy to reach and at that point, there will be no point in killing non-elite mobs anymore so people will just run past half the mobs. Obviously, we don't know the ratio of elite to regular mobs in inferno so if almost every mob has elites then this won't be a problem.
Does your butt hurt?
Edit: Removed all the <br/'s
Also in Diablo 2 and as well as the first diablo if you didn't use the right skills, or didn't place your attribute points wisely you wouldn't be able to level because the difficulty of the monsters wouln't allow it. You would either be forced to start a new character or participate in a group to get past those tough levels. I know Diablo 3 isn't Diablo 1 or 2, but I really enjoyed that aspect of those games and I would think it would be something that would carry over to the third sequel. MMORPG's start once your max level.
the d2 stat system was boring. i like the d3 system much better.

let the devs find other ways for us to tweak our character
world of diablo
or

diablo of warcraft
11/24/2011 01:32 PMPosted by timecat
You felt stronger because you were manually tweaking your character to your liking

Yes but at the same time there was always the thought in the back of my mind "ugh, should I have put those points there?" and I had a negative feeling of regret when "breaking" a character. The new automated system in D3 allows those points to still mean something, but without the chance of regret so that I may focus on new things in D3 that weren't in D2, such as skill choices, runestones, enchanting and crafting to name a few. I have a feeling there will always be something to look forward to.

Plus you always get a shiny nova around you notifying everyone you leveled. That always feels good ;)
11/25/2011 12:00 AMPosted by evAd
world of diablo <br />or<br /><br />diablo of warcraft

World of Jay Wilson
They already explained that most people would just pump stats into vitality and only the amount of strength required to use your gear. That doesn't even seem appealing AT ALL. I totally agree with the way their working around this.
what hes trying to say is that this game has became increasingly item dependant. Skills dont feel special because everyone has the same build as you. this is even prior to level 30. in d2 level thirty wasnt really the "cap" for skills. you still got the reward of putting points into skills you wanted to boost them. and the same goes with the attributes. it seems that by taking skill points out they didnt want people to regret making a bad build, so why dont the offer a respec NPC???
Edited for spam.
Lets not necro threads that have been silent for a month.
I killed a horde of zombies by leveling up. Most levels in D2 just gave me skill and ability points I didn't know how to spend... So, some times you I didn't even get stronger when I leveled in D2. Diablo 3 is much better.
sure its item focused, but theres no longer a choice when it comes to strengthening abilities. the skill points were nice rewards for leveling up. after level thirty the levels are kind of meaningless. and this new system destroys the need to make a charcter more than once, which for me is a downside.
12/23/2011 04:00 PMPosted by PurpleReign
and this new system destroys the need to make a charcter more than once, which for me is a downside.

I don't quite get how that's supposed to be a downside.

What Diablo II's system made me do:
Spent some time on the internet or using a spreadsheet or charakter calculators to decide how to put the points for the skills and items I wanted, put those into these stats and skills when I was able to. Aside from that, I just pumped vit up.

Whenever I made a mistake of sorts, I ended up with a charakter that was never going to be as good as it could've been. This meant that I had to actually either spend a lot of tome outside of the game to calculate what an efficient character would look like instead of playing the game, or go for triel and error and grind the same charakter up over and over again.

Diablo III's system doesn't make me do any of that. Granted, leveling up isn't as big of a deal once you're past a certain point, true. But that system at least doesn't punish me for just, you know, playing the game instead of calculating my charakter. I can just go for the trial and error method without getting punished for that, and I like it.

Also, your charakter automatically increases its stats, the stats increase the weapon damage, the weapon damage influences the damage of your abilities, so leveling up in D3 still affects your skills, either way.
psh... leveling.... bring it on i ll only get stronger.
Edited for spam.
12/23/2011 04:34 PMPosted by Jacka
Leveling wasn't a big deal in Diablo 2 either, unless that level was 20, 25, 40, 42, 60, 80, 99.

lol
12/23/2011 04:22 PMPosted by D3BETA
Diablo III's system doesn't make me do any of that. Granted, leveling up isn't as big of a deal once you're past a certain point, true. But that system at least doesn't punish me for just, you know, playing the game instead of calculating my charakter. I can just go for the trial and error method without getting punished for that, and I like it.

makes sense :D
the calculating was dumb ill give you that, but i feel like it could be solved with a simple respec NPC? if you made a mistake you can undo it, i just liked the feeling of choice, and i guess its still there cause of what u can equip out of town, so yeah
I'm surprised they haven't removed leveling entirely. Diablo 3 is easy breezy lemon-squeezy mode.