Hardcore Dueling

General Discussion
I know there is some debate on whether or not a character should die forever in hardcore if you lose a duel. I personally think there needs to be a dueling option, because what better way to settle a dispute over who's the top dog than to cut each other's throats. Why not just make the characters "K.O." or have some sort of penalty for losing a "spar" instead of dueling to the death.

Give me your opinions on whether or not characters should die forever, get K.O.'d, or if you think dueling just isn't dueling without death, and should be taken out completely from hardcore.

My opinion is that losing a character to something out of my control isn't fun, or worth having in a game.

If I'm silly enough to get isolated and unable to escape in a HC group game and my character irreversably dies, then I can accept. Losing a character because someone decides it's time for me to lose that character was BS.

I don't want HC PvP in any aspect of the game I play. I don't necessarily mean that it shouldn't be a part of the game though.
If your not willing to lose your character in a "HARDCORE" duel then personally I don't think your hardcore enough... Why can't everyone except the fact that your character will be lost forever? If your interested in dueling and not killing your character off then I suggest playing SC instead of HC. My first thought would be wow "I'm level 57 and my gear is leet... I don't think I should risk dueling".. Why should it be any different then that? I'm not bashing on you or trolling but that's just my opinion.

There should NOT be any type of K.O. system or only go down to 1 hp type settings. The dueling or arena (whatever the PVP style is) in Diablo 3 should be exactly how it was in Diablo 2. When you die (in any way. PVP/PVE) then your character is dead forever. That's what really gives it it's HARDCORE name.
11/24/2011 10:23 PMPosted by Jarrex
The way I see it is there won't be a death penalty for HC characters.. if there is, then nobody will do it and it'll kill the feature anyways.
That's where I think your wrong. Dueling in HC happened all the time in Diablo 2. Obviously not as often as in soft core mode but it did still happen! I truly think there should be a death penalty in D3. It doesn't seem hardcore to me if they did that... I know there dumbing down or making it easier for the newbie crowd, but this is one option I don't think they should alter :( but again that's just my opinion lol... It would truly make me sad if they did.
11/24/2011 10:54 PMPosted by Loner
Yeah, why don't we just remove the death penalty from pve deaths. I mean no one would dare go into inferno on HC right? <br /><br />Really guys? We are talking dueling here right? Dueling is to the death PERIOD. Make arena more appealing to the softys who are going to play hardcore. Leave dueling what it is supposed to be. Or even offer a spar option, but dueling is dueling to the death.
+1. Glad were on the same boat!! Doesn't it just seem 'silly' for your character to still be alive after he is killed? Lol... It just doesn't make sense to me.
I remember watching that video before. I don't know if its Sixen or Force who says that if you are able to die in HC PVP then "there won't be ANY kind of community" in HC... That I find is TOTAL BS. It was the same way in D2 and that didn't make or break a community lmao.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_E452S_fJwA#!

Go to 2:40

The question about HC pvp. Listen to his full answer.

The question was never answered. His last words were exactly "We'll see.... Feel free to hold polls and let us know, ya know, what the community feels cuz I'd be curious."

THIS is that poll. Chat it up.
11/24/2011 11:28 PMPosted by UncleSlim
THIS is that poll. Chat it up.
My vote would definitely go towards not being able to 'survive' a death in HC PVP.
What about if you die in PvP your character can no longer play pvp but still play PvE?

I dunno just a random thought, probably will suck either way it goes, hardcore was always super disappointing to me.

To each his own.
11/25/2011 12:00 AMPosted by Jon
What about if you die in PvP your character can no longer play pvp
That still doesn't seem appealing to me. You would just go into the battle not really caring the outcome. You would just think "meh, at least I can still PVE" Once you die, your dead forever. I really hope Blizz just leaves that point alone. People have to prove to them that with the STRICT penalty that people will still be dueling.
HC PvP should to be death. If I wanted to PvP not to death I'll play in SC.

An option to "train", and for example arena with all the SC characters (with your HC char) could be nice for practice.
11/25/2011 12:08 AMPosted by Mydi
HC PvP should to be death. If I wanted to PvP not to death I'll play in SC.<br /><br />An option to "train", and for example arena with all the SC characters (with your HC char) could be nice for practice.
If there was an option to "train" isn't that only what you would choose? Would you ever choose to participate in an actual death match when you never really needed to?
11/25/2011 12:00 AMPosted by Jon
What about if you die in PvP your character can no longer play pvp but still play PvE?

Yes but this breaks the equation of:

Dueling = Dying
Dying in Hardcore = The point of no return. Because THAT's what makes it hardcore.

We need the best of both worlds, without the insanity that is present in this problem.

I'm not insane enough to duel to the death with my 60 hardcore character, but I still like dueling. Some people ARE that insane though, so I feel like they should be catered to as well.
11/24/2011 10:11 PMPosted by UncleSlim
I know there is some debate on whether or not a character should die forever in hardcore if you lose a duel. I personally think there needs to be a dueling option, because what better way to settle a dispute over who's the top dog than to cut each other's throats. Why not just make the characters "K.O." or have some sort of penalty for losing a "spar" instead of dueling to the death. <br /><br />Give me your opinions on whether or not characters should die forever, get K.O.'d, or if you think dueling just isn't dueling without death, and should be taken out completely from hardcore.<br /><br />
<br /><br />Whether blizz adds a mode to duel without consequences in HC is unknown, but what we do know is that the developers WANT a way to duel to the death (from an interview with Force Gaming, ForceSC2Strategy on youtube if you wanna look it up). They will probably add it as a later patch addition though, not at release.

If your not willing to lose your character in a "HARDCORE" duel then personally I don't think your hardcore enough...
LOL!
if you die in hard core you should be dead

anytime, anywhere, for any reason
11/25/2011 01:50 AMPosted by BlueBooger
if you die in hard core you should be dead <br /><br />anytime, anywhere, for any reason

This. But measures should be put in place so that you can't be TPPK'd or any other form of unwanted PvP where you have no chance to react or avoid it.