digital download?

General Discussion
Anyone know if we will have the option in North America to download the game on the release day?

Closest store where I could buy it is a couple hours away...just trying to determine if I should pre-order from amazon or something.

Thanks for any info you can provide.
yes.
Probably at least a day prior to release date. You will also be able to buy a digital copy from blizzard, and be able to play immediately upon release if that's your preference. Keep in mind though, that while you'll be avoiding any wait for shipping to complete and the possibility of a midnight lineup, you will have to pay just as much as retail, you won't get any of the physical packaging that comes with the retail edition, and you won't get the opportunity to pick up a CE copy of the game.
11/28/2011 05:35 PMPosted by Static
Probably at least a day prior to release date. You will also be able to buy a digital copy from blizzard, and be able to play immediately upon release if that's your preference. Keep in mind though, that while you'll be avoiding any wait for shipping to complete and the possibility of a midnight lineup, you will have to pay just as much as retail, you won't get any of the physical packaging that comes with the retail edition, and you won't get the opportunity to pick up a CE copy of the game.
<br /><br />Why can't they have a digal copy of CE and mail me the matieral items? Heck wouldn't even mind a 20 shipping and handling fee. Bottom line is I don't want to stand in line at midnight whenever release day is.
11/28/2011 06:19 PMPosted by tfunklol
<br /><br />Why can't they have a digal copy of CE and mail me the matieral items? Heck wouldn't even mind a 20 shipping and handling fee. Bottom line is I don't want to stand in line at midnight whenever release day is.

Pre-order? I agree that I would like to be able to have a digital download of my CE, though I don't see how Blizzard would work that out with 3rd parties.
Pre-order off Amazon, I choose the 1 Day shipping option which came to be 9 USD, considering I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition I'd say that's worth it. Only an additional ~9% to the cost.
11/28/2011 05:24 PMPosted by chotek
Anyone know if we will have the option in North America to download the game on the release day?<br /><br />Closest store where I could buy it is a couple hours away...just trying to determine if I should pre-order from amazon or something.<br /><br />Thanks for any info you can provide.
where on earth do you live that it takes HOURS
i thought my hour drive to and back was prity bad Ö_ò
Very likely a download option will be available, as SC2 and WoW can both be downloaded - the infrastructure is there. Though downloading may take awhile considering file size and the how many other people choose to download vs. get a hard copy.

Shipping is another option, IMO, go with shipping. Then you could give the game to a friend to install and they just have to buy a product key online. Or if you get a new computer, easy to reinstall.