Should we still have Magic Find?

General Discussion
I'm really conflicted on this myself; on the one hand, it helps players customize their characters to achieve a certain end. On the other, it makes it so that you never truly play a character with the most beneficial equipment equipped.

I had this issue in D2 when I would never want to ditch my Chance Guards for something much better. The same was mainly true for my War Travellers.

I would appreciate people's opinions on this.
Pro tip other games have magic find and it works just find. Because 1 blue poster had a QA/mentioned magic find issues. The entire forums blew up with crying and complaining.

^ This happens with any subject that comes to light.

The only problem with magic find is not having a chance to actually enjoy your "real gear" because your too busy running around in MF gear.

^ ONLY ISSUE

People wearing magic find vs wearing magic find damage contribution ect. Who cares, if you're not happy with another players ability to play. Why not leave?

The whole OMG UR NOT DOING ENOUGH DAMAGE CUZ UR WEARING MF!!! is turning Diablo into a 5man heroic with fools using gear score.

/sips coffee

Gear score fiends = complaining about magic find.
I'm still honestly unsure why this is even an issue. If you don't like how a player is performing either leave or kick them (assuming that's an option). If characters are anything like they were in D2 you will be able to destroy Hell wearing all MF gear with relatively little issue anyway, who cares if a person isn't doing 100% maximized ideal min/max uber damage? Frankly all this worry about how other people are playing their game is silly, who cares how they play? This isn't WoW (or any other MMO for that matter), you aren't paying X amount per month so they aren't wasting your money by not playing optimally. Let people play however the heck they want. You are not forced or obligated to stay in the group.
Magic find is one more thing of customization why anyone would want to take away from that is totally lost to me
Your supposition precludes the possibility that your gear with MF IS your most beneficial gear.

A while back when they had placeholder stats for a lot of the uniques, many of the lvl 60 uniques had MF built into them (outside of random stats)
When it comes to MF, there are only two main cases to consider:

1. You are playing solo.
In this case, the choice is rather obvious. You tune your MF so that you have enough non-MF stats to kill stuff comfortably.

2. You are partying.
If you are partying wearing MF or are partying with someone wearing MF, the indifference condition that you need to establish is whether the lack of the MFer's DPS is enough to compensate for the +MF that they are bringing to the whole party. Everyone has a different notion of 'k', where MF = k*DPS. If 'k' doesn't meet your threshold, leave.

It is really that simple.
I don't think we should, it pushes the characters aim away from striving to improve and increase performance, to trying to improve the drop odds. Sure it dilutes the stat pool and that's good, but I'd prefer something more character focused that way the aim is to make your hero epic, not his/her chances at getting something shiny.
Yes, magic find is a must.
11/29/2011 11:30 AMPosted by Kain
I'm still honestly unsure why this is even an issue. If you don't like how a player is performing either leave or kick them (assuming that's an option). If characters are anything like they were in D2 you will be able to destroy Hell wearing all MF gear with relatively little issue anyway, who cares if a person isn't doing 100% maximized ideal min/max uber damage? Frankly all this worry about how other people are playing their game is silly, who cares how they play? This isn't WoW (or any other MMO for that matter), you aren't paying X amount per month so they aren't wasting your money by not playing optimally. Let people play however the heck they want. You are not forced or obligated to stay in the group.

I'll let you figure out what the OP is talking about, since it appears you need some practice reading. Hint: It's not about public games and MF wearers.
Make Magic Find a separate stat completely.
Perhaps only found at the enchanter.

That way you can find your perfect outfit and either enchant it with magic find or damage. Either way you'll be wearing the gear you should be wearing.
11/29/2011 12:42 PMPosted by Jman
/sips coffee
<br />Every time I see that annoying signature of yours I think of this scene.<br /><br />http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WQGOAM9U4Y

NICE i love cats!

/sips coffee
Magic find going to play a huge part in this games success. It was what most of us enjoyed in diablo 2. This is not going to be like world of warcraft at all. Items are not bound in any way. I for one will use a Wizard for magic finding, for leveling of course I will not use MF gear, but once I am 60, i intend to have the best of the best of MF/GF and your average PK gear. I hope they do away with arenas and let us PK again. I remember tricking people in hardcore on diablo 2, it wasnt against the games rules. I was a level 99 sorc hardcore, I would join a leveling game and go PK last second and be waiting for people to portal down and would kill there level 80 hardcore toons, take there loots. ooo the good ole days. My sorc was killed eventually, 4 people ganged up on me and i was pked in just a few seconds. I still have a 99 sorc on my account hardcore, 6 toons full of trophy gear and runes I found myself.

Diablo is a game you play to magic find in. Its what drives alot of the players, to have the best, to be known for selling the best. Its like a awesome ingame stock market but with alot of fun involved.
MF is definitely a double-edged sword.

Customization is important, definitely, and the ability to customize toward an end other than just killing as much as possible is a definite plus. Conversely, as Burzghash mentioned, customization for the sake of customization is not inherently good.

Back when I used to play D2, MF was one of the most interesting parts of the game for me. I really enjoyed upping my MF to 500+ with items like the Harlequin Crest (Shako), Skullder's Ire, The Oculus, Chance Guards... but this was sometimes in the place of stronger items like Eschuta's Temper (potentially), Magefist/Frostburn or Tal Rasha's set.

Another issue, one the I'm sure all D2 vets would agree to, is the power of the MF Sorceress. Everybody had a sorc in D2, whether it was your main, or because you had to do runs with her, or because she was your main because you did runs with her. I'm quite sure that it has been confirmed that this will be removed in D3 and that all classes will get the same ability to MF. Nonetheless, it's a delicate balance. Barbs and monks for example might become more squishy without their strong gear equipped.

I don't know. If there's an Axe with 450 DPS and one with 375 DPS but 30 MF, which do you pick for general questing? This is a predicament to me and I'd like to refocus the thread if there are others that have not understood what I was referring to.
Magic find is a very important part of Diablo and is quite honestly why Diablo 2 did so well. While yes, the game is about getting the "Best of the best" gear for your characters, there has always been an element of addiction surrounding the quest for getting the best gear. What better way to fuel that addiction than by adding a stat that helps enhance your possibilities?

Doing away with MF is a completely absurd idea and it should ultimately be up to the individual player to choose what items and stats are "best" for his/her specific play style.

People tend to forget that Diablo has always had a huge focus on items (lets face it, the game has never been terribly difficult to beat nor difficult to max any character). Taking away a stat that is crucial to this ideal would be like taking away all the other stats in the game and saying "Here is an axe with some life on it - go kill stuff. If you're lucky you'll find another axe with a little more damage and life on it and you can kill stuff faster and survive easier. In fact the only thing you'll ever find is higher damaging weapons and more life - so don't waste too much thought on itemization."