General Discussion
...gold drops will increase the further you progress into the game.

You can't prove that.
11/29/2011 05:44 PMPosted by Jacka
Farming Hell with gold find gear is going to be way too profitable. Consider the alternative, farming Inferno with magic find gear

From what we can tell, it's possible gold drops will stay the same throughout the game.

If true, the better alternative is... farming normal for gold find!
11/29/2011 06:47 PMPosted by Jacka
If you can prove to me it's not a problem, go for it.

how much gold can i farm per hour in hell and how much gold per hour can i farm in inferno? i want numbers not "more and less".

you apparently have played the game through hell and inferno numerous times and have been testing how much gold you can farm per hour in each difficulty with varying amounts of gold find. so please enlighten us on the data you have collected.

or is this all pointless speculation about content you havent played yet? cause if you havent played the content... you dont have an arguement and arent proving anything
11/29/2011 06:56 PMPosted by Quicky
...gold drops will increase the further you progress into the game.
<br /><br />You can't prove that.

if it doesn't work like that it's broken ..

the thing is will someone with 500% or 1k gf even survive inferno..and again if they can it is probably because the are farming gold to sell..and could 2k gf in hell only turn out to be equal to 300 % gf in inferno ..

so it will will have the value to justify sacrificing better stats to stack it . with the risk implied from stacking it
Edited for spam.
I've read an 'economic article' (guy with a blog hit some key combination on the keyboard) saying that gold drops won't be massively different in inferno compared to normal.
100-200g per drop etc

I could remember wrong, or the info's unsound but this was based off the beta playthroughs at blizzcon, something like that..

In addition to inferno costing repairs, there's lost money due to selling/buying on auction.

I sell a sword, it cost me 100(etc)gold in fees, now someone else has it,
they sell it and it's another 100g out of the system. This happens every time it changes hands.

If auction fees are a % of total selling price in gold,
then there will come a point at which gold leaving the game and gold being earned stabilize.
e.g.
one player can only ever get 50,000 gold per hour, prices of goods rise and with them so do AH fees until the total combined fees match the average combined income of everyone playing.

I don't remember the site this is from, if anyone comes across it please post.

I'm not a fan of goldfind if it means missing out on another stat,
if it's a -bonus- that could appear on gear, but not make it weaker in any way I'd love it.
Either magicfind, goldfind, light radius or +experience on gear as a bonus stat. I think that could work, but it'd have to be rare/or in much lower quantities (+10% instead of +70% etc) since everyone would be wearing it, and it'd be on the 'max damage' gear.

Goldfind isn't fun for me at the moment, just means more numbers while sacrificing how effective I am at killing.

Maybe if +100% goldfind just increased the chance of getting a BIG golddrop.
+100%GF = 10% chance of getting 10 times the gold dropping.

That way we wouldn't just become used to bigger piles of gold, it'd be a small treat when we got lucky, when it happens 5 times in a row etc

I think that magicfind is a better stat to stack,
like having lottery tickets vs begging in the street for change.
(you get guaranteed coin, but less excitement).
most items for sale in the game will be on the gah ..probably 99 percent of the non inferno gear..and a good chunk of blah but usefull inferno gear.

gold will never be worthless ..and there will always be a small percent of people who earn a lot of gold and a large number of people who have trouble ..earning enough

Edited for spam.
11/29/2011 07:13 PMPosted by Jacka
Your post contains good information Culture, but if golds only purpose is to act as a currency for the GAH it will be a total failure. I don't believe there will be sufficient gold sinks to avoid this from happening unless they remove gold find.

i don't get your logic....golds main focus in most games out there is as a currency for trade between players with or without an Ah ..thinking that it's only purpose is for gold sinks is flawed ..

the rmah will not have enough currency to handle most transaction in the game
Hell is content farmable by all players.Inferno is content for higher skilled/equipped players only.Why would you waste time farming better gear to clear Inferno faster, when you can use your same old crappy gear to farm massive amounts of gold in Hell?And if for some reason you want your gold find set/character to be Inferno capable, then you simply put on better gear, and get even more insane profits than you already get by farming Hell. I can tell you that it will take longer to clear Inferno though, and it's about killing speed. You will be clearing Hell 10x faster than you will be clearing Inferno, and gold drops in all difficulties, remember there is Inferno specific gear. (2 tiers apparently.)

again... use numbers from data you collected from playing hell and inferno. you have no numbers to back anything up. anyone can do what youre doing and claim to be correct

this is why youre wrong: hell can be cleared 10x faster and with max gold find you gain twice as much gold. well you get 50x more gold from an inferno run over a hell run. so inferno gets you more gold, thus making it a better place to farm gold AND you get the best item drops that can then be sold for even more gold or RM.

this is why inferno is the best place to farm for gold

this is why youre wrong: hell can be cleared 10x faster and with max gold find you gain twice as much gold. well you get 50x more gold from an inferno run over a hell run. so inferno gets you more gold, thus making it a better place to farm gold AND you get the best item drops that can then be sold for even more gold or RM.

this is why inferno is the best place to farm for gold

what gets left out is that yes most people will be stuck farming hell so maybe the hell level gold you get with gf gear will matter.. but if 40 percent of people are farming hell and 5-10 percent of people are farming inferno..the hell farmers are stuck buying high level runes and gems and inferno mats and gear from the much smaller group on inferno farmers
Edited for spam.
Edited for spam.
there was no ah in the previous games and a low gold cap..<br /><br />with d3 unless the real currency is crashing in the real world ..you will almost alway be able to buy more gold next week with a dollar than this week.. so any attempt to stockpile gold and not offload it to those who might need it ..will mean your constantly losing value in you vault .<br /><br />

there is a reason why most americans don't save money beyond a few weeks of liquid cash.. because it is usual;ly always losing value ..
Another reason Gold will inevitably be valued at nothing, particularly HC is gold find.

Blizz is going to HAVE to cap Magic Find in a way similar to what was done in D2, or even a hard cap.

If gold find doesn't receive an even more harsh treatment, it will depreciate so quickly it wont be funny. The GAH will be ridiculous with millions of gold for even the most trivial loots.
from what i can tell the gah has a 99 million gold cap for a sale.. so there may be a 1 billion gold cap for gold ..so if you can make 1-2 million gold an hour..
did they ever say whether if there will a monthly subscription?