Possibility of RMAH Strike

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 9 Next

Are you dense? You don't see a problem with this? I bet you would complain if your bank was charging you every time you took money out of your account, used your card to purchase things, and charged you monthly fees. How is it okay for a game to do it?

Difference here is that the money you are being charged is Blizzard's way of saying "Thank you for choosing Blizzard".

The RMAH "fees" (lol) are simply Blizzard taking their gratuity for allowing you to sell their items. The RMAH is like a consignment shop, you are using Blizzard's services, selling Blizzard's equipment, and making a profit, and expect them to not charge a small fee for all of this?

The more I look around the more the movie Idiocracy is becoming a scary reality. If you don't like making $99 (minus the one dollar blizzard charge) on a $100 dollar item (the fact that one item has the potential to sell for more than the entire game is astounding to me), then don't. I would gladly take my $99 knowing full well that I just suckered some idiot into wasting $100 on something that has $0 of real-life value.

RMAH is fine as is. If you don't like it, don't use it.
11/30/2011 10:50 PMPosted by Novademon
And the scariest thing is that there is nothing really stopping them from charging whatever they want.

Except laws and regulations requiring us to disclose exactly how much is being deducted. :)

And they are completely mum about how much it will cost. Almost every answer on the FAQ ends in "Specific details regarding these fees will be announced at a later date."

We haven't released details because they haven't been nailed down yet. We'll be sharing some estimates soon enough, though.

So the point is, what if we unionized and picketed the RMAH in favor of the gold auction house? That way we could self-regulate (which ALWAYS works [#sarcasm]), create our own prices, create an effective gold sink, and not be subject to tyrannical fees.

Feel free, but the gold auction house also has transaction fees, just in gold and not real currency.

If everyone chooses not to use the currency-based auction house, I think we'd be disappointed because we spent time developing it... but we'll be ok. As long as people are enjoying the game. And besides, North America is just one region. ;)
12/01/2011 09:51 AMPosted by Bashiok
And the scariest thing is that there is nothing really stopping them from charging whatever they want.

Except laws and regulations requiring us to disclose exactly how much is being deducted. :)

And they are completely mum about how much it will cost. Almost every answer on the FAQ ends in "Specific details regarding these fees will be announced at a later date."

We haven't released details because they haven't been nailed down yet. We'll be sharing some estimates soon enough, though.

So the point is, what if we unionized and picketed the RMAH in favor of the gold auction house? That way we could self-regulate (which ALWAYS works [#sarcasm]), create our own prices, create an effective gold sink, and not be subject to tyrannical fees.

Feel free, but the gold auction house also has transaction fees, just in gold and not real currency.

If everyone chooses not to use the currency-based auction house, I think we'd be disappointed because we spent time developing it... but we'll be ok. As long as people are enjoying the game. And besides, North America is just one region. ;)

PWNT
the goal of business isn't to break even

blizzard should profit from rmah
fgjfj
12/01/2011 09:51 AMPosted by Bashiok
And besides, North America is just one region. ;)

Bashiok, you crack me up.

Yeah, i dont see anyone put maybe 5 people petitioning against it. I still dont understand why but maybe its not for me to understand.

The RMAH is like the AH, a place to sell items to other players, many will use the AH and many will use the RMAH, use which ones you want, they dont affect your play to use them or not.
First thread I've ever been a part of that got Bashioks attention in any manner. Solid points though. Some of these assumptions are ridiculous.
12/01/2011 10:11 AMPosted by Jman
I'm just glad I don't have to deal with this crazyness over in Hardcore. (I hope)
Yeah, you just have to deal with random lag spikes (in single player) perma- illing your character.
and bashiok owns novademon!

Reasons why people hate the RMAH...

1) They abhor any type of money transaction involving their pocket and someone that is not themselves getting a cut.

Solution: Don't use the RMAH

2) They don't use the RMAH and still complain about it for the benefit of the blissfully unaware and obviously mind controlled population who do.

Solution: Taken an Economics course and don't worry about me.

3) They actively boycott the RMAH publicly after not using it, because they are now jealous that other people are using something that they refuse access to themselves or are afraid that they will get pulled in and 'forced' or tricked into using the RMAH and so lobby to have the feature removed so no one can use it.

Solution: Go back to your parents and ask them why you are so selfish and susceptible to peer pressure.

In summary, if you are someone who has to complain about an option that is given to you to a point that you want to take it away from everyone else because you don't like it; well, then you are just a child.
12/01/2011 10:15 AMPosted by GXSigma
I'm just glad I don't have to deal with this crazyness over in Hardcore. (I hope)
Yeah, you just have to deal with random lag spikes (in single player) perma- illing your character.

Cry more.
the only fee that I was aware of was the percentage that they take out of the sale, I don't think there was any risk involved in selling it on the RMAH... pretty sure they answered that at blizzcon.
ah. got it.
The point is, it's crazy that it COULD technically fail. For the first time ever. There is a chance, even if it is a small chance. With monthly subscription, you have guaranteed steady income. Without it, whew... It's just ballsy.

Doesn't really affect anything really, look at SC2, there aren't any income other than selling the actual game. RMAH = Big Bonus Money.
News flash - Banks DO charge you a fee to use your own debit card, banks DO charge you monthly fees, banks DO charge you per month if you have a credit card, Ebay charges you a fee to use their service to sell items.

Blizzard is allowed to, and SHOULD charge you a fee to use their in-game service, because it is a service to you, the player using the service, because it facilitates a safe environment to players that will buy powerful items anyway online. If they didn't charge a fee for using their service, it would be BAD BUSINESS, and down right laughable.

Blizzard has educated people working for them, and If you think you're gonna outsmart them, they are probably already 10 steps ahead of your chain of thought.

Let the pros deal with the game mechanics, just enjoy the game they develop for you. Feel free not to use the RMAH, nobody is forcing you to use it. The Gold AH will still have powerful items up that people who aren't willing to pay real money to post. Not everyone will use the RMAH, i'm sure some people will use both together or even none at all. Stop trolling, or please, read a book, get your facts straight, or keep an open mind to something you don't understand, because whether you complain or not, it's still going to be implemented.

<3 D3
I should definitely hop on the credit union band wagon, but i am a lazy consumer set in his ways, but like you said it is not the point.

The point is definitely exactly what you posted. Freedom of choice rawr!

+1
Forget transaction fees. They won't hurt the use of the RMAH.

The only problem I can see with the RMAH is if the IRS gets involved. If somewhere down the line Blizz is required to send out 1099's... well then Blizz will need your social security number.

That... or if California requires sales taxes to be collected on each item. That would be a mess as well.

That's where the threat is. Taxation. Not fees.