Absence of a Shield Class

General Discussion
11/29/2011 06:41 PMPosted by Burning
That's it! I want a class that can dual wield shields!

:O

Get this man an internet award.
11/30/2011 07:14 AMPosted by Bahfome
Guys give Blizzard some time! There very well could be a shield-class in the Expansion.<br />

It's irrelevant here. It's not a matter of time, Blizz takes its time no matter what and overall I'm ok with it as the results are there. It's a matter of orienting the game in one direction or another. It really feels like forgetting what the D2 experience brought them and restarting pre-LoD.

Anyway ... at least I hope Hell will be more challenging and impose diversity in runes and equipment since we loose diversity in builds ...
Fun fact. In the original diablo the shield class was the Mage. If you had just a shield equipped and no weapon then you would smack things with the shield. The fastest attacking class with a shield was the mage.

So yea... I don't think we really need a dedicated shield class. It's good enough that everyone can wear them.
Ima play with no gear in hardcore cause im the real hardcore.
11/30/2011 10:30 AMPosted by Jman
Fun fact. In the original diablo the shield class was the Mage. If you had just a shield equipped and no weapon then you would smack things with the shield. The fastest attacking class with a shield was the mage. <br /><br />So yea... I don't think we really need a dedicated shield class. It's good enough that everyone can wear them.
<br /><br />Dude, he doesn't mean just a guy walking around with nothing but a shield. He's talking about the classic sword and shield class. The Warrior in Diablo 1 and the Paladin in Diablo 2.

I thought he was talking about shield based abilities. Nothing in Diablo 1 had those.
Without shield abilities, Blizzard can safely make shields better for 'non-shield class'es, because there is no 'shield class' to run around overpowered with it.

So, because the Barbarian has no shield abilities to be awesome with, it means that my Monk can still equip and effectively use the best shields in the game without either the Barbs being overpowered or my Monk being underpowered.
Yeah, I'm talking about the Paladin with his Holy Shield, Bash, Defensive auras...

A Captain America warrior is actually a pretty cool idea. I could see an expansion class named the Guardian or Shield Dancer. Dual Wielding shields has been a dream for many :).
Well I, for one, will really really miss my shield skills. What came with a shield-base character was a different type of gameplay using defensive moves and tanking for the party (yes it is possible to tank in diablo !).

If anything shield bash and extra shield block or similar should have stayed in a more defensive branch of the Barb's skill tree.

In general though, a defensive/tanking class redirecting or reflecting damage could really be added to D3. Afterall Blizz claimed to have rendered the game more 'tactical' ... such a class (that existed before) would be a tactical asset. Hopefully, they correct this in an expansion.

yea but they want all classes to be dps

im not against the barb having some shield skills tho...