Can someone explain to me how loot is done?

General Discussion
I've played D2 up to the 2nd act but never gotten that far into it. How is loot exactly done in the Diablo series. I've heard and Baal runs and farming for loot in D3. I've gotten a chance to play the Diablo 3 beta at my coworkers home and I completed it. Yeah till no beta invite. :( The first time I killed the Skeleton King he dropped a rare (yellow quality) pants and some other items, can't remember what were they. The second time he dropped a blue items. I was under the impression all bosses will drop rare or better quality items no matter how many times you kill them. So my question is how is loot is exactly done in Diablo 3?
Yellow drop rate decreases after first kill. Blizzard doesn't want people farming boss instead of entire dungeons.
Loot is handled very randomly. No monster is guaranteed to drop anything, except maybe quest items.
its all random based on item level if that makes sense?

There are two levels on an item:

Item Level
Required Level for Equiping.

Monsters can only drop items in the range that's allotted to them.

Lets create two items

Stick of Awesome
Item Level: 9
Required Level: 13

Revealing Loincloth
Item Level: 7
Required Level: 13

Lets say a monster attacks you and it can drop items with the item level of 1-8.

You have a % chance that Revealing Loincloth will drop from him, but there is no chance that Stick of Awesome can drop from him, even though they both have a required use level of 13.

Then you're off to fight the skele king who has an item level of 4-15.
You defeat the skele king and he has a chance to drop both the Revealing Loincloth & Stick of Awesome.

Make sense?
12/08/2011 10:39 AMPosted by Quicky
Yellow drop rate decreases after first kill. Blizzard doesn't want people farming boss instead of entire dungeons.

This. Your loot quality is highest on a first-time boss kill, then on the elites and uniquest that randomly spawn, then subsequent boss kills.

It is different from D2, in which bosses always had the best loot tables.
For Diablo 2 the boss monsters always dropped rare (yellow) loot. The quality of the drop was also tied to the level of the monster. Since Hell mode Baal was the highest level boss it meant he was the best source of good loot in the game. So that's all anyone ever did which was boring as heck.

For Diablo 3, bosses only drop rare loot the first time you kill them on a character. After that they go back to dropping magic (blue) stuff. Additionally, Diablo 3 adds Inferno mode in which all the monsters are even in level. So killing an act 1 monster will get you the same loot as killing one from act 4. These two things mean that the very best sources of loot in Diablo 3 will be from random rare monsters scattered about each act in inferno.

So no more killing the same boss over and over and over while skipping everything else. It might be worthwhile to kill the bosses but it's not going to be any better than killing other monsters.
Edited for spam.
12/08/2011 10:50 AMPosted by Jacka
It's not WoW, nothing is guaranteed to drop anything.

A boss will always drop something - not the minions but the bosses...

The first Superboss (the ones that are predefined to always be there) kill will give a superboss drop which is a slightly better drop than other monsters around, like for Pez's example, it will have a higher chance of being a level 8 drop rather than level 5 only. After the first kill the drop is changed to whatever of a normal Boss monster in that area...

So the big difference is that you don't farm end Bosses for items in D3 (or actually in the Beta you would) but everywhere, and Inferno difficulty is set to be able to drop anything everywhere - it's just a matter of what you want to slay :)
Edited for spam.
12/08/2011 10:39 AMPosted by Quicky

I wasn't aware of this, can someone please provide a link to any other article confirming this?

Thanks!