Well it's been announced.

General Discussion
That Activision has helped fund S.O.P.A.

I feel sick now.
To hurl chunks, please use the vomit bag in front of you.
Thanks for cheering me up a little. I just really hope that none of the people in the Blizzard house feel the same. S.O.P.A is a terrible terrible bill and it effects a ton of people.
acti and ea suck. we know this

sopa is absolutely atrocious

so was the NDAA, can't believe obama signed that
That Activision has helped fund S.O.P.A.

I feel sick now.

Why?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDX8Lyl16Qs&feature=BFa&list=PL3B0BF0172B7D9BD2&lf=plpp_play_all

Please tell your representatives to vote no.
"The bill would allow the U.S. Department of Justice, as well as copyright holders, to seek court orders against websites accused of enabling or facilitating copyright infringement."

So, they can shut down a website that distributes pirated software and music.

How is that bad for anyone except pirates?
Why is this such a bad thing? Everyone is screaming that is violates their freedom of speech. I want to know how? How does it violate freedom of speech. Being able to download pirated movies, music, games and such violates your freedom of speech? Really?

I hope it passes. I support this 100%.
We all know SOPA will never pass. When I first heard about it, I honestly thought it was a joke. It's just ridiculous.
Why is this such a bad thing? Everyone is screaming that is violates their freedom of speech. I want to know how? How does it violate freedom of speech. Being able to download pirated movies, music, games and such violates your freedom of speech? Really?

Piracy is a bad thing. But this bill involves more than just that. The internet, as we know it, will be changed forever. And not for the better.

If the bill passes copyright holders and authorities will be able to effectively shut-down any website that hosts, links to copyrighted material, or could potentially link to copyrighted material. This would include basically any website on the internet that has any sort of community, including these forums.
"The bill would allow the U.S. Department of Justice, as well as copyright holders, to seek court orders against websites accused of enabling or facilitating copyright infringement."

So, they can shut down a website that distributes pirated software and music.

How is that bad for anyone except pirates?

So you are tje only person in the world who hasn't pirated anything? S.O.P.A. could also close Youtube because of the music videos for example, which are not legal of course.
Why cant the government ever deign a bill that does what it's intended to do...
Well I can say for myself that I have not pirated any movies, games or anything of that nature. My music comes from iTunes. Just because someone has a music video on Youtube that makes it ok?

Where is the logic behind that. So if this bill does not pass then all of the pirated software, movies, games, music is ok? Also I understand that the restrictions placed on Youtube and Facebook will be stricter. But that would be for the better wont it?

How would you like to find out that the millions of dollars of development that you invested in some game or software is not being sold or even given away over the internet for free. Is that fair to the company?

Is it fair that companies like Paypal are accepting and transferring payments for this said media, or Google is has given this website a page rank of 8.

You guys are looking at it from the consumer side what about the companies that are trying to stop this pirating. I know everyone is thinking that companies like Micro$oft, and EA deserve it. Do they really? Maybe if this passes we wont see $350 operating systems and $60 games anymore. That is hopeful thinking though.
Well I can say for myself that I have not pirated any movies, games or anything of that nature. My music comes from iTunes. Just because someone has a music video on Youtube that makes it ok?

Where is the logic behind that. So if this bill does not pass then all of the pirated software, movies, games, music is ok? Also I understand that the restrictions placed on Youtube and Facebook will be stricter. But that would be for the better wont it?

How would you like to find out that the millions of dollars of development that you invested in some game or software is not being sold or even given away over the internet for free. Is that fair to the company?

Is it fair that companies like Paypal are accepting and transferring payments for this said media, or Google is has given this website a page rank of 8.

You guys are looking at it from the consumer side what about the companies that are trying to stop this pirating. I know everyone is thinking that companies like Micro$oft, and EA deserve it. Do they really? Maybe if this passes we wont see $350 operating systems and $60 games anymore. That is hopeful thinking though.

You're confusing people who are against the bill because it will make piracy harder with those who are against the bill because it could potentially ruin the internet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhwuXNv8fJM

Watch that and come back saying that it will only affect pirates and no the rest of the internet.
Since Activision has nothing to do with Blizzard, I don't see the point of this thread.

While I think the bill is ridiculous, it only potentially affects American hosted sites. You people act like it's difficult to host a site in a different region. America isn't the whole world.