blizzard security problem?

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
I have concerns about Blizzard security. about 3 weeks a go some one hacked my free wow account and my blizzard account was suspended. Blizzard fixed it.

Now yesterday I got an email from blizzard saying

Greetings,

It has come to our attention that you are trying to sell your personal World of Warcraft account(s). As you may not be aware of, this conflicts with the EULA and Terms of Agreement. If this proves to be true, your account can and will be disabled. It will be ongoing for further investigation by Blizzard Entertainment's employees. If you wish to not get your account suspended you should immediately verify your account ownership.

You can confirm that you are the original owner of the account to this secure website with:
http://www.blizza******.com*************************

Login to your account, In accordance following template to verify your account.

If you ignore this mail your account can and will be closed permanently.

Once we verify your account, we will reply to your e-mail informing you that we have dropped the investigation.

But I don't own wow just the trial/free version.
Edited for spam.
LBC, remove the website from your quote.
it's blizzards confirmation of account link. I will remove it just in case it isn't.

12/30/2011 07:36 PMPosted by Nilrem
to be honest, I also got hacked my WoW account 3 times when I have 0 virus for 10 years and i never give in to phishing.

I think they do have some security leaks for world of warcraft. This !@#$ comes out of nowhere and has happened to a lot of people.
Edited for spam.
it's blizzards confirmation of account link. I will remove it just in case it isn't.

It is not legit.

I know since i have received the same email on an old email address (not tied to my blizzard account), which spams me those like weekly.
to be honest, I also got hacked my WoW account 3 times when I have 0 virus for 10 years and i never give in to phishing.

I think they do have some security leaks for world of warcraft. This !@#$ comes out of nowhere and has happened to a lot of people.

Sounds like you were part of a phishing/keylogging scheme. And frankly were unaware of it. It happens. Having your account hacked 3 times, definitly means either someone had access to your account personally, or you were part of a keylogger/trojan/malware that your antivirus failed to detect.

This wouldnt be the first time an anti-virus has failed to detect a malware virus.

I hope you realize, if their actually was a compromise of information which includes financial information, companies are required by law to tell their consumers about it. This is why PSN faced problems, and even gmail. The only reason why PSN released their compromise to the public was because if they didn't they would have faced serious charges.

Just because a few accounts were hacked doesnt mean blizzards system is at fault when it wasnt to begin with. Sounds like a poor password choice/keylogger/sharing of personal information is at fault for your account being compromised 3 times.

This happens all the time. But consumers never blame themselves they always blame someone else first.
Edited for spam.

Sometimes there are some bad apples, usually it happens because you have poor account security, it doesn't take a virus or keylogger or phishing email to get your account.
I agree blizzard has week account security. I have never been hacked with steam or any of my other DD accounts.
Edited for spam.
12/30/2011 08:15 PMPosted by LBC
I agree blizzard has week account security. I have never been hacked with steam or any of my other DD accounts.

You got hacked most likely because you have weak security. Do you have antivirus/firewall? Did you use a weak password?

It is also apparent that you were unable to spot the telltale signs the email above is a phishing email.

12/30/2011 07:38 PMPosted by LBC
it's blizzards confirmation of account link.

If you mouseover the link in the email, you will see that the URLs do not match. The fake URL will appear as something that feigns legitimacy by using battle.net in some fashion followed by other dodgy stuff.
The security flaw is not at my end. it's at blizzards end. I have anti virus software and I use a 15 digit password now as it was only 10 digits before blizzard account got hacked. 3 weeks a go when my account was hacked blizz support admitted that my account was hacked. It's up to blizzard to protect our accounts from been hacked. Mouse over the link does nothing(confused).

My account is safe now because I changed my password to 16 digit alphanumeric instead of 10 digit.

99% of the time it's not Blizzards fault. Did you read anything in the link I gave you? Why would anybody hack your Steam account either, can they turn that into profit?
Well this is that 1% you speak of.

You mean to say you don't know why people would try to hack a steam account? There are thousands of steam accounts getting hacked/phished each day.

Yes I read what you said I thought you meant blizzards security.
I get blizzard emails saying my wow account's being sold all the time.

I don't even have a wow account at the moment.
Any and all of those emails are OBVIOUSLY phishing scams .. I mean seriously .. if anyone fell for one of those emails even once they deserve to have their account hacked. You would have to be absolutely new to the internet to fall for something like that. Just mousing over the link shows you the actual address (which surprise surprise isn't Blizz) plus an actual email from Blizzard will be shown as a verified sender.
Edited for spam.
It's not blizzard, it's you. First off, if it was blizzard, they would have sent you to battle.net not blizzard.com (note that it's not blizzardreal.com or blizzard.org). Try getting a better email client, GMail will send those to spam and also has a nice plugin to identify phishing emails. You need it. I doubt your account was "hacked", most likely you gave your password to one of these emails before and that's what happened.
Well this is that 1% you speak of.

You mean to say you don't know why people would try to hack a steam account? There are thousands of steam accounts getting hacked/phished each day.

Yes I read what you said I thought you meant blizzards security.

I doubt this since you fell for this phishing email so easily.
How did I fall for it? I didn't get hacked/phished. This is the first time I have received a email like that.