blizzard security problem?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
12/30/2011 09:17 PMPosted by Empty
I doubt your account was "hacked", most likely you gave your password to one of these emails before and that's what happened.
Here proof that I was hacked a few weeks a go.

Greetings,

Thank you for contacting the World of Warcraft Game Master Department!

I have investigated your report and was able to determine that your account does appear to have been compromised. Fortunately, it appears the characters on your account have not been damaged! :D

However, please be aware that your computer may contain a malicious software program, such as a keylogger, or your account information and password may have been inadvertently shared with others.

Prior to logging into World of Warcraft again, I highly recommend following the security check-list found on our security site located here: http://us.battle.net/en/security/checklist

For additional security tips and information, please visit the following sites:

- Battle.net Account Security Site: http://us.battle.net/security/
- Account and Computer Security: http://us.blizzard.com/support/article/30794
- Account Security and Recovery FAQ: http://us.blizzard.com/support/article/30791
- Email Address Security: http://us.blizzard.com/support/article/30814

Thank you for contacting us! I hope you continue to enjoy your experience in World of Warcraft! :)

Regards,
Game Master Rynsr
Customer Services
Blizzard Entertainment

12/30/2011 08:36 PMPosted by LBC
The security flaw is not at my end. it's at blizzards end.

How can you be so sure? Was your antivirus up to date? Do you have a firewall? When did you last scan your computer for malware?

It's up to blizzard to protect our accounts from been hacked.

Not entirely - they cannot be held accountable to what happens on your computer which is your responsibility and it is up to you to maintain security on your end.

Mouse over the link does nothing(confused).

Try it with Firefox and look at the bottom of the screen. I hope you are not using IE.
12/30/2011 09:56 PMPosted by Hypersonic

How can you be so sure? Was your antivirus up to date? Do you have a firewall? When did you last scan your computer for malware?

It's up to blizzard to protect our accounts from been hacked.

Not entirely - they cannot be held accountable to what happens on your computer which is your responsibility and it is up to you to maintain security on your end.

Mouse over the link does nothing(confused).

Try it with Firefox and look at the bottom of the screen. I hope you are not using IE.
I use firefox already. yes I worked out the mouse over part, Thanks for that. The WOW account getting hacked had nothing to do with my computer or me. My virus scanner is always upto date but that wouldn't explain how some one got access to my WOW account. especially considering I haven't logged in to WOW for months.

Nope. It's on your end. If there were some security flaw on Blizzard's end, every World of Warcraft account would become compromised, and that obviously hasn't happened. Because they store CC#s for account subscriptions, they are legally obligated to disclose any breach of security to their customers.

If your account was compromised, it's because you had a failure in your security.
12/31/2011 03:02 AMPosted by syrik
LBC the problem lies in your internet habits. You went somewhere or opened something in your email and gave out personal information. Whether you entered it into a false website, got a trojan or a keylogger, the mistake was made by you.
Sorry but you are wrong. No mistake made by me.
My job is actually network security, and the thing we learn very early is that the biggest vulnerability is almost always the user.

For the most part, hackers need social skills first, computer skills second.

That's not to say the user is to blame every time their account is hacked. Neither is the user necessarily stupid for falling into a skilled hackers trick. Once in a great while, even the smartest of us will fall for a skilled phishing attempt.

The more complex attacks are out there, but most hackers don't bother when the low hanging fruit (simply tricking people) is available.

This was my first lesson in network security, day one. The teacher said, "what's the easiest way to get past a locked door?" Answer, "Knock."

TL:DR
The single most significant thing you can do to reduce the chance of hackers successfully targeting you is to educate yourself on the tricks they use. Blizzard offers two factor authentication as well. If you're really concerned, us it!
LBC the problem lies in your internet habits. You went somewhere or opened something in your email and gave out personal information. Whether you entered it into a false website, got a trojan or a keylogger, the mistake was made by you.
Sorry but you are wrong. No mistake made by me.

Why are consumers always this arrogant? They always assume its someone elses fault. Its amazing.

You do realize if accounts were compromised in any shape or form that deals with financial information which is what your battle.net account falls under, a company is required by law to release that information to everyone who has accounts on battle.net right? PSN, Steam, GMAIL were all required by law to release information publicly that accounts may have been compromised even if it was just a few accounts if it was found that the blame was on their end.

This wasnt on blizzards end period. If your that arrogant, get an authenticator, guarantee you your account won't be hacked 3 times.

FROM BLIZZARD:
However, please be aware that your computer may contain a malicious software program, such as a keylogger, or your account information and password may have been inadvertently shared with others.

Read what blizzard tells you rather than ignoring what the email says. They clearly know it was on your end. Otherwise call them up to find out more information.

Your anti-virus isnt some god blocker, that blocks every virus. Anti-viruses are known for bringing false positives, and even failing to scan numerous viruses.

As a user you are the BIGGEST vulnerability no matter how much your ego tells you otherwise.
Get an authenticator for your account. You clearly, desperately need one.
to be honest, I also got hacked my WoW account 3 times when I have 0 virus for 10 years and i never give in to phishing.

I think they do have some security leaks for world of warcraft. This !@#$ comes out of nowhere and has happened to a lot of people.

Not sure if this is relevant to you, but hackers often collect username/password combinations because many people use the same username/password for everything.

Vary your usernames and/or passwords. A hacker who discovers your username/pw on a less secure system can use it to access other systems you use it for.
Often times... Those emails telling you that your account was hacked...

Your account wasn't hacked. The link simply sends you to a spoofed site that asks you to "Unlock" or "Reset" your password. It might ask for your old password first and then ask you to enter a new one. You're not unlocking anything, simply giving the hacker 2 passwords that you typically use. Now your account is hacked.

Stuff like that won't be picked up by your antivirus.

There are tons of possibilities, but an authenticator would certainly help.
12/30/2011 09:10 PMPosted by sithis
you guys are telling me that my password should not be computer123?

Don't be ridiculous. The only good password is MyBattleNetPassword, anything else is just asking for trouble.
I have concerns about Blizzard security. about 3 weeks a go some one hacked my free wow account and my blizzard account was suspended. Blizzard fixed it.

Now yesterday I got an email from blizzard saying

Greetings,

It has come to our attention that you are trying to sell your personal World of Warcraft account(s). As you may not be aware of, this conflicts with the EULA and Terms of Agreement. If this proves to be true, your account can and will be disabled. It will be ongoing for further investigation by Blizzard Entertainment's employees. If you wish to not get your account suspended you should immediately verify your account ownership.

You can confirm that you are the original owner of the account to this secure website with:
<link removed>

Login to your account, In accordance following template to verify your account.

If you ignore this mail your account can and will be closed permanently.

Once we verify your account, we will reply to your e-mail informing you that we have dropped the investigation.

But I don't own wow just the trial/free version.

I can see why you got hacked to begin with. Gullible?
problem can be solved for like 3 bucks (authenticator)
I have concerns about Blizzard security. about 3 weeks a go some one hacked my free wow account and my blizzard account was suspended. Blizzard fixed it.

Greetings,

It has come to our attention that you are trying to sell your personal World of Warcraft account(s). As you may not be aware of, this conflicts with the EULA and Terms of Agreement. If this proves to be true, your account can and will be disabled. It will be ongoing for further investigation by Blizzard Entertainment's employees. If you wish to not get your account suspended you should immediately verify your account ownership.

You can confirm that you are the original owner of the account to this secure website with:
http://www.blizza******.com*************************

Once we verify your account, we will reply to your e-mail informing you that we have dropped the investigation.

When you followed the link in that email did you enter your account info to log in?
Yep I get hit with these occasionally... look really legit, but ask you to verify your password, hehe, Red Flag goes up! Stay cautious!

Greetings,

http://www.blizza******.com*************************

That part of the email is the scare tactic so they get you to click on the link. When receiving emails like this and when in doubt, never use the link they provide and go to the official site yourself.