blizzard security problem?

General Discussion
The website ends in ".com" ...... /e looks at forums address... Yeah... That was hard.

Anyways, I smell a troll....and feet. Funny.... I see no feet.
12/31/2011 04:16 AMPosted by LBC
LBC the problem lies in your internet habits. You went somewhere or opened something in your email and gave out personal information. Whether you entered it into a false website, got a trojan or a keylogger, the mistake was made by you.
Sorry but you are wrong. No mistake made by me.

That's your first mistake, thinking you are invulnerable. Let me guess you are a 19-30 year old male? I am very skilled and trained at detecting false emails and viruses and I know I can still be a victim, ie tired or my kids or wife could use my computer and fall victim to a virus and my computer would still be infected. Something I do to help is I reformat every 9 months to make sure I start with a clean slate. You can also run several over-lapping virus and malaware scanners to help protect yourself.
LBC the problem lies in your internet habits. You went somewhere or opened something in your email and gave out personal information. Whether you entered it into a false website, got a trojan or a keylogger, the mistake was made by you. People in this thread provided you with some links to learn about security, you should study the information provided. You should also do some of your own research. But, general rules to live by...

NEVER use the same password for different things. Everything that requires a password gets it's own, unique password.

Don't use your regular email for your Blizzard accounts. Use yahoo, hotmail or gmail. They are free.

Only use your Blizzard email account (wherever you get it) for Blizzard. ONLY USE THIS ONE EMAIL FOR THIS ONE BUSINESS, EVER. Don't say hi to a friend, don't subscribe to things, don't enter it into a survey. It has one purpose only, ever.

Get a good virus scanner and make sure it runs all the time. A good program will work in the background without hogging resources. Set it to scan on a schedule or automatically.

Don't ever, ever, EVER put your real information into a website you do not personally know where it goes. That includes horoscopes, pretty ladies, calendars, flashy shiny things, whatever. ESPECIALLY FACEBOOK. You put that you play WoW on Facebook, you're asking to be targeted.

Don't open emails that say they're from Blizzard. If they have something to say to you the information can be received through your account page. They don't send out random emails to people. I've been playing WoW for 6 years, never gotten an email from Blizzard that I didn't initiate the conversation. I've also never been hacked or lost my account.

Something else to add is that phising emails start with something generic like Greetings, Hello or Dear Customer. Always generic because millions of them are going out. Most businesses will at least use your first name and in some cases, ie PayPal uses first and last name the way it's listed on your PayPal account. I thought that was a valid point since Blizzard and PayPal are going to be mixing more in the very near future.
Something else to add is that phising emails start with something generic like Greetings, Hello or Dear Customer. Always generic because millions of them are going out. Most businesses will at least use your first name and in some cases, ie PayPal uses first and last name the way it's listed on your PayPal account. I thought that was a valid point since Blizzard and PayPal are going to be mixing more in the very near future.

In some cases, the email greets you using the name of one of your WoW characters in both the message and subject line.
it's blizzards confirmation of account link.

12/30/2011 09:21 PMPosted by LBC
How did I fall for it? I didn't get hacked/phished. This is the first time I have received a email like that.

The security flaw is not at my end. it's at blizzards end. blizz support admitted that my account was hacked. It's up to blizzard to protect our accounts from been hacked. Mouse over the link does nothing(confused).

My account is safe now because I changed my password to 16 digit alphanumeric instead of 10 digit.

Thank you for contacting the World of Warcraft Game Master Department!

However, please be aware that your computer may contain a malicious software program, such as a keylogger, or your account information and password may have been inadvertently shared with others.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH completelly clueless yet arrogant, oh you're gonna be hacked SOOOO much more. And you deserve it so much it just fits perfectly. Congratulations.
12/31/2011 06:48 AMPosted by Moncrief
you guys are telling me that my password should not be computer123?

Don't be ridiculous. The only good password is MyBattleNetPassword, anything else is just asking for trouble.

I thought it was suggested to use a password that matches your username?
This is more of a user error than a "hack". If you get hacked then you are just bad. I have never had an account hacked and I don't use anti-virus or any of that crap. Having a smart mind is all you need.
Edited for spam.
You're the one with security issues and a bad habit for getting scammed. If you can't identify a real blizzard email from a fake one then you deserve to get hacked.
I'm curious how they got my email in the first place? I get scam emails all the time but I've learned what headers are and how they can be used to my advantage.
12/31/2011 12:46 PMPosted by Luminance
I'm curious how they got my email in the first place? I get scam emails all the time but I've learned what headers are and how they can be used to my advantage.

Websites that gather user email addresses (traditionally for their mailing lists or for entering prize promotions) sell those email lists, usually to advertisers. People wanting to steal your WoW data will also buy those lists and spam every address with their fake email
Edited for spam.
Trust me if someone had keyloggers and stuff of the like on my comptuer they wouldnt be going after my WoW characters.

Ive never given my password outside of the game ever, yet it was a real email mentionning my 2 highest character names were trying to be $ transfered on other serves. And my account got locked for selling characters.

I highly doubt my spybot+kaspersky 2011 missed anything either.
Get an authenticator. You won't have any more security issues.
My job is actually network security, and the thing we learn very early is that the biggest vulnerability is almost always the user.

For the most part, hackers need social skills first, computer skills second.

That's not to say the user is to blame every time their account is hacked. Neither is the user necessarily stupid for falling into a skilled hackers trick. Once in a great while, even the smartest of us will fall for a skilled phishing attempt.
My WOW account was hacked about 26 days a go and I haven't played wow for more then 2 months so the account must of been hacked server side.

12/31/2011 05:09 AMPosted by Lysiana
Get an authenticator for your account. You clearly, desperately need one.
Do they sell them in Australia? cheers.

I have concerns about Blizzard security. about 3 weeks a go some one hacked my free wow account and my blizzard account was suspended. Blizzard fixed it.

Now yesterday I got an email from blizzard saying

But I don't own wow just the trial/free version.

If you ignore this mail your account can and will be closed permanently.

That part of the email is the scare tactic so they get you to click on the link. When receiving emails like this and when in doubt, never use the link they provide and go to the official site yourself.
Thanks for imput. No they didn't get me to click the link.

I have concerns about Blizzard security. about 3 weeks a go some one hacked my free wow account and my blizzard account was suspended. Blizzard fixed it.

When you followed the link in that email did you enter your account info to log in?
No I didn't follow that link. I didn't even bother clicking it. that why this thread exists. cheers.

I can see why you got hacked to begin with. Gullible?
How am I Gullible?