blizzard security problem?

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 Next
This thread should be on the wow forum, and if you had bothered to get an authenticator, which Blizzard offers, and you have any net savvy whatsoever, you won't get hacked.
The website ends in ".com" ...... /e looks at forums address... Yeah... That was hard.

Anyways, I smell a troll....and feet. Funny.... I see no feet.
How am I a troll or do you slander people on a regular basis?

<span class="truncated" />Sorry but you are wrong. No mistake made by me.

That's your first mistake, thinking you are invulnerable. Let me guess you are a 19-30 year old male? I am very skilled and trained at detecting false emails and viruses and I know I can still be a victim, ie tired or my kids or wife could use my computer and fall victim to a virus and my computer would still be infected. Something I do to help is I reformat every 9 months to make sure I start with a clean slate. You can also run several over-lapping virus and malaware scanners to help protect yourself.
I'm 37 not a young person. No one is invulnerable

it's blizzards confirmation of account link.

12/30/2011 09:21 PMPosted by LBC
How did I fall for it? I didn't get hacked/phished. This is the first time I have received a email like that.

The security flaw is not at my end. it's at blizzards end. blizz support admitted that my account was hacked. It's up to blizzard to protect our accounts from been hacked. Mouse over the link does nothing(confused).

My account is safe now because I changed my password to 16 digit alphanumeric instead of 10 digit.

Thank you for contacting the World of Warcraft Game Master Department!

However, please be aware that your computer may contain a malicious software program, such as a keylogger, or your account information and password may have been inadvertently shared with others.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH completelly clueless yet arrogant, oh you're gonna be hacked SOOOO much more. And you deserve it so much it just fits perfectly. Congratulations.
Slander won't get you brownie points. My account was hacked server side. Maybe you can't understand that. If so that's not my fault. I have never had a virus, and I have never ever been scammed in my life.

12/31/2011 12:46 PMPosted by Luminance
I'm curious how they got my email in the first place? I get scam emails all the time but I've learned what headers are and how they can be used to my advantage.
I would like to know that too. Lucky I didn't follow the link.

12/31/2011 05:43 PMPosted by Icey
This thread should be on the wow forum, and if you had bothered to get an authenticator, which Blizzard offers, and you have any net savvy whatsoever, you won't get hacked.
You tell me where I can buy one from and I will get one.
are u kidding me... go get a authenticator... or download the app for ur phone. blizz offers this and its more then any other company does today. steam/orgin/facebook/twitter/psn/xbox live. none of them give that type of security. u cant fix stupid... not calling u stupid just sayen, they offer other ways of protecting ur acount, id love to see other companys step up and do what blizz does. ur lack of knowledge is just what feeds the hackers who try and keylog and steal ur acount info.
Edited for spam.
12/31/2011 05:57 PMPosted by Batmon
are u kidding me... go get a authenticator... or download the app for ur phone. blizz offers this and its more then any other company does today. steam/orgin/facebook/twitter/psn/xbox live. none of them give that type of security. u cant fix stupid... not calling u stupid just sayen, they offer other ways of protecting ur acount, id love to see other companys step up and do what blizz does. ur lack of knowledge is just what feeds the hackers who try and keylog and steal ur acount info.
There is no app for my phone I checked yesterday, Nokia N900.
I'm more worried about your security. That's a fake email.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3430806399

Are you going to read this yet?
Just read it thanks. It's a good read. I will look to see if I can find some where that sells the authenticater.
12/31/2011 06:00 PMPosted by LBC
There is no app for my phone I checked yesterday, Nokia N900.

ouch... time for a upgrade my mans. android or iphone. id wait till the new new iphone is released. apple just baught out some of nintendos 3d technology from the nintendo ds. will be the new hot thing on the market soon enough. well thats whats romured atleast.

ouch... time for a upgrade my mans. android or iphone. id wait till the new new iphone is released. apple just baught out some of nintendos 3d technology from the nintendo ds. will be the new hot thing on the market soon enough. well thats whats romured atleast.
I'm waiting for Ice cream as the iphone is crap. I have had 2 Iphones and I find them restrictive.

To the other people that troll and you know who you are. I see they like troll or slander, but when it comes to a simple question they don't reply or just ignore it. Is this what this forum is like these days.
Blizzard emails starts with your name written on it.

You are never *forced* to click on any link.

If ever you need to enter your pw, go DIRECTLY on your Battle Net account.

Use different emails for different things.

Use different pws for different things.

Use long very passwords.
12/31/2011 02:24 PMPosted by Sean
Get an authenticator. You won't have any more security issues.

Not necessarily. Authenticator is just one effective security measure, not be all, end all.

12/31/2011 05:33 PMPosted by LBC
Do they sell them in Australia? cheers.

They do not sell in Australia, they sell them TO Australia, so you have to import. This has been the case since 2008 when I got it. It will cost something like $34, $27 of which is the shipping (which is how much I bought it for, so the cost may have changed). For my money, it is worth the cost.

If you have an iphone or Android phone, the app is free.
It's easy to spoof emails, anyone with knowledge of php can fake any email address, at least on the outgoing end. If you respond to that email it will go into recipient's inbox normally. If they claim you ever have a problem with your account, close your email out completely then log in to your account instead by manually typing battle.net or w/e in your browser. :P
12/31/2011 12:46 PMPosted by Luminance
I'm curious how they got my email in the first place? I get scam emails all the time but I've learned what headers are and how they can be used to my advantage.

From what I understand a successful hacker can somehow convince an email server to send emails to addresses that are similar to the one they are sending too. Ever get an email that was a phishing email that doesn't even have your email address in it?
At first I agreed that it was the persons fault, but I have seen an inactive account get hacked a few years back. My friend quit playing back in classic because his computer died, sometime after wrath his account was reactivated and his main char started logging in and grinding levels during some type of expansion promotion. He hadn't logged on in several years and the computer he used was destroyed long ago, so still always been puzzled how an inactive account got hacked.
Im concerned about the common sense of people who play blizzard games.
The thing that people seem to never get through their heads is just because you were compromised now does not mean that it was a recent compromise. The actual compromise might have occurred years ago and the hacker is just getting around to trying that account name / password. So the computer you are using currently might not be the one that had the keylogger on it.

If you ever logged into forums or the game on a different computer then that could be the compromised machine as well. If you use the same name / password elsewhere then it is also possible that the hacker got it from another usage and decided to see if there was a battle.net account with the same information.

There are many places where a compromise can occur. There is also always a chance that you have a keylogger on your system that your particular antivirus does not yet have the definition for.

I would definitely recommend doing a Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware scan of your system with random stuff typed in the world of warcraft login / password as some keyloggers are only active when there is a login screen active.
to be honest, I also got hacked my WoW account 3 times when I have 0 virus for 10 years and i never give in to phishing.

I think they do have some security leaks for world of warcraft. This !@#$ comes out of nowhere and has happened to a lot of people.

Moral of the story, get an authenticator and your account will never be hacked, unless of course you hand your authenticator to someone and tell them your email and password
12/31/2011 05:43 PMPosted by Icey

If you're not an idiot, and you have any net savvy whatsoever, you won't need an authenticator to prevent yourself from getting hacked.
I bet he did click on it but just doesn't admit his mistake. Troll on.
just always check the header on the email address it may say blizzard but if you go in the more info about it, it will show you the actual email address it gets sent to which is usually some random scammers address