Happy Ending? HAH

General Discussion
This is the final chapter of the Diablo story and I can't help but wonder which route Blizzard has chosen. From my experience, there are a few ways to end a story of this scale.

1. Happy - All threats are destroyed or subdued by our beloved hero and the inhabitants of Sanctuary live out the rest of eternity in peace. (Your common audience pleaser. [Examples:Avatar,50/50])

2. Dark - Evil wins and Sanctuary is forever doomed to a hellish existence. (While the audience feels uneasy about the way things ended, they respect the story for its greatness. [Examples:Se7en,TheMist] This route provides a never-ending conflict in the game they all know and love.)

3. Balanced, leaning towards Happy - Evil is mostly subdued and, although Sanctuary is forever scarred by the events that took place, the inhabitants learn to cope with a balance of good and evil that resembles the human condition. Day by day, they seem to be succeeding in tipping the scale in favor of good.

4. Balanced, leaning towards Dark - Immediate threats are subdued, but the future of Sanctuary appears uncertain. (The audience is glad that the hero won the day. But when the credits are about to roll and the camera zooms on the corpse of the beast we've come to know, a malevolent grin finds its way to our mouths. His eye twitched.)

What do you think the final mood is going to be when we rescue Sanctuary for the third and final time? What would you like to see?
Or none of this.

The franchise will never fully end because that would just be dumb.
Or none of this.

So basically you're saying numbers 2, 3, and 4. Nice try though.
You seem to be ignoring the angels, we don't know their intentions, especially imperius, they arn't exactly evil.

What if all humans find some sort of secrets and end up teaming up with diablo and fight against heaven instead?
You seem to be ignoring the angels, we don't know their intentions, especially imperius, they arn't exactly evil.

What if all humans find some sort of secrets and end up teaming up with diablo and fight against heaven instead?

That's all well and good, but the chips have to fall somewhere. After all the twists and turns are finished, there's going to be an ending.

01/05/2012 07:43 AMPosted by Cruelangel
Who said this is the final chapter?

I think Blizzard did. I'm pretty sure I heard Jay Wilson say it somewhere, but this is one of those times when I don't want to be right. D4 please.
Yes I'm aware they're going to add expansions. However, they have said Diablo 3 is going to be the last title in the franchise. In other words, there won't be a Diablo 4. Now I just have to find that video...
Or none of this.

Ok you got me. I didn't fully read your long-winded post, my bad ;)

Wait, no. You contradicted yourself by saying 'third and final time' on the OP, AND you are inquiring as to how the franchise will END.
Yes I'm aware they're going to add expansions. However, they have said Diablo 3 is going to be the last title in the franchise. In other words, there won't be a Diablo 4. Now I just have to find that video...

We killed diablo in the first game he came back in the second, we killed diablo in the second game he is coming back in the third, were going to kill diablo in the third game.... spoiler alert this isn't getting old anytime soon. How do you think blizzard could possible keep diablo in hell if their armies of geared up fans can't keep him down : )
You're forgetting the Nephilim. Most likely, all of the player characters are one, to some extent...

The Angels are not exactly good... They suffer from the same affliction the Demons do; Hubris and the inability to look beyond themselves. It manifests in different ways, and Angels seem a bit more palatable, but the Nephilim will decide it, not the Angels, or the Demons.
01/05/2012 08:15 AMPosted by Luthorin

We killed diablo in the first game he came back in the second, we killed diablo in the second game he is coming back in the third, were going to kill diablo in the third game.... spoiler alert this isn't getting old anytime soon. How do you think blizzard could possible keep diablo in hell if their armies of geared up fans can't keep him down : )

Why does a villain have to permanently disappear in order for a story to end?

Ok you got me. I didn't fully read your long-winded post, my bad ;)

Wait, no. You contradicted yourself by saying 'third and final time' on the OP, AND you are inquiring as to how the franchise will END.

The franchise will end at some point. This is reality. The story will come to a conclusion for us, but there is always the possibility that Blizzard will do it in a way that there is no definitive resolution to the conflicts within. The villains don't necessarily have to be defeated or subdued forever. The heroes don't necessarily have to live.

In the OP, I'm simply asking which path you guys think Blizzard will take, which path you would like them to take, and why.

I'm not saying the four conclusions I described are the only possible conclusions in the world. There are obviously many impressions to leave an audience with and if anybody can think of more I would certainly be interested to hear them.