do to runes what you did to abilities

General Discussion
give us automatic access to all rank 1 runes for all abilities when our character reaches level 30
limit us initially and gradually allow us to modify more abilities over time

example:
level 30 - you may rune only one of your six chosen abilities
level 35 - you may rune two of your six chosen abilities
level 40 - you may rune three of your six chosen abilities
level 45 - you may rune four of your six chosen abilities
level 50 - you may rune five of your six chosen abilities
level 55 - you may rune all six of your chosen abilities

Visually what this would look like:
- open your ability book. everything looks exactly the same as it does right now. Next to the ability will show the circle and inside the circle will be whatever rune you have currently chosen to be your "currently active" rune for that ability
- Simply click the rune slot and a new page opens. This page enables you to manage your runes for the ability that you are currently looking into. The page shows all 5 rune slots, one for each color. Just underneath each color of rune is shown what rank you know for that color. To the right is a both a description of what the rune does, as well as a video showing a player showcasing the skill in a meaningful way (similar to how there are videos for all the unit upgrades in Starcraft 2)
- in the management window, clicking on any of the colored runes makes that color your actively chosen rune for that ability. The rune will glow to provide feedback visually that it is the active one
- clicking the "unrune" button will cause no color to be selected. The ability will return to its unruned, default mechanics
- when changing your skills in town, or at a nephalem altar, if too many abilities are runed for your level, you will be prompted to unrune until you are within the limit
- at level 55 you will never be prompted to unrune. You can learn new rune ranks any time any where but you can onlyanage runes in town or at a nephalem altar
- there are still multiple ranks for runes. If you find a higher rank rune than the one you already know simply click it to learn that new rank. High ranked runes might have level restrictions on them and might be quite rare and valuable

what this system achieves:
- simplicity on the surface level, but very deep
- interesting, hard, and meaningful choices are now presented to the player periodically from levels 30 to 60.
- the player behavior of rune hoarding is essentially solved. A player will no longer have their inventory space reserved for the highest rank of every color rune for every ability (25 abilities per class multiplied by 5 rune colors is over 125 runes....)
- stronger economy: as a player learns higher rank runes their now "inferior" lower ranks for those runes do not re-enter the economy
I like the option of unlocking rune slots, assuming there isn't much to gain in leveling outside of better gear and extra autostat points. I don't like the idea of having all the runes available, and I doubt many others would either. Some runes should be rare and hard to get, this adds more excitement when you find a valuable one.
01/05/2012 07:51 AMPosted by Rise
I like the option of unlocking rune slots, assuming there isn't much to gain in leveling outside of better gear and extra autostat points. I don't like the idea of having all the runes available, and I doubt many others would either. Some runes should be rare and hard to get, this adds more excitement when you find a valuable one.

You only start with all the rank 1's available. I should have been clearer on that point.

Also Blizzard could not give access to all rank 1 runes initially if they wanted to not overload the player with too many choices all at once and my proposed other changes would still be welcome
I'd rather them just drop, and being able to socket them as I find them. Don't restrict my rune slotting!
So you basically make the rune slots worthless until you finish hell. No.

No.
give us automatic access to all rank 1 runes for all abilities when our character reaches level 30
limit us initially and gradually allow us to modify more abilities over time

example:
level 30 - you may rune only one of your six chosen abilities
level 35 - you may rune two of your six chosen abilities
level 40 - you may rune three of your six chosen abilities
level 45 - you may rune four of your six chosen abilities
level 50 - you may rune five of your six chosen abilities
level 55 - you may rune all six of your chosen abilities

Visually what this would look like:
- open your ability book. everything looks exactly the same as it does right now. Next to the ability will show the circle and inside the circle will be whatever rune you have currently chosen to be your "currently active" rune for that ability
- Simply click the rune slot and a new page opens. This page enables you to manage your runes for the ability that you are currently looking into. The page shows all 5 rune slots, one for each color. Just underneath each color of rune is shown what rank you know for that color. To the right is a both a description of what the rune does, as well as a video showing a player showcasing the skill in a meaningful way (similar to how there are videos for all the unit upgrades in Starcraft 2)
- in the management window, clicking on any of the colored runes makes that color your actively chosen rune for that ability. The rune will glow to provide feedback visually that it is the active one
- clicking the "unrune" button will cause no color to be selected. The ability will return to its unruned, default mechanics
- when changing your skills in town, or at a nephalem altar, if too many abilities are runed for your level, you will be prompted to unrune until you are within the limit
- at level 55 you will never be prompted to unrune. You can learn new rune ranks any time any where but you can onlyanage runes in town or at a nephalem altar
- there are still multiple ranks for runes. If you find a higher rank rune than the one you already know simply click it to learn that new rank. High ranked runes might have level restrictions on them and might be quite rare and valuable

what this system achieves:
- simplicity on the surface level, but very deep
- interesting, hard, and meaningful choices are now presented to the player periodically from levels 30 to 60.
- the player behavior of rune hoarding is essentially solved. A player will no longer have their inventory space reserved for the highest rank of every color rune for every ability (25 abilities per class multiplied by 5 rune colors is over 125 runes....)
- stronger economy: as a player learns higher rank runes their now "inferior" lower ranks for those runes do not re-enter the economy

Here's a better idea...

No free runes, you need to go out and get'em or trade for them. Quit being lazy lol. But while on the topic of char lvl and runes, I think runes should have a required level to use to prevent overpowered twinks/LLDs. Level 1 runes should be 30, and fill the gap to level 4 runes and up lvl 60 requirement, with lvl 7 runes being very rare.

What you're asking for is waaay too dumbed down. How about rewarding the people that work for their items for once, and let them have the upper hand vs the lazy ones that sit and beg for free runestones lol (I bet we'll see a lot of begging like when D2 expansion came out). Games like BRING FREE PLOX lol.

-Sabin
www.DarkRevolutionGaming.com