Wizard vs. Monk

General Discussion
01/05/2012 09:43 AMPosted by Ibraheem
watch the monk gameplay video for diablo 3 on youtube.. they have an ability that allows them to reflect spells cast at them (in the video, MONK reflects spells like magic missiles)

You understand that video is from Alpha? MANY MANY skills have been changed since then. The only Monk reflection ability I see in the current build is Serenity with Instant Kharma. That's an ability that lasts 3 seconds, a 15% failure rate and has a cooldown of 1 minute. I'm pretty sure that doesn't make Monk immune to all casters.
01/05/2012 09:58 AMPosted by Darkdude
Since when does a class "absolutely" beat another class?

When the classes aren't balanced when combating one another (PvP).
It is very obvious that you want people to simply agree with what you already have concluded to be the truth: that the monk will always beat the wizard.

The real truth is that there is no way of knowing how pvp will really work until we all play it. I played D3 pvp at Blizzcon and the wizard was a pretty pro choice overall, but it really depends on a lot of factors and the pvp at Blizzcon isn't much to go off of.

I am fairly sure that there is more to it than rock paper scissors...

If you need people to agree with you so that you can play a monk first, then go for it. You seem interested and SHOULD play a monk first, but there is no definitive answer to the question you are asking, and there may never be one.
It's not a 15 % failure rate. It doesn't say: you may not reflect any spells 15 % of the time. You are phrasing it wrong. It says, it reflects 85 % of ALL damage.

Why don't we just quote the Skill Calculator?

While Serenity is active, 85% of all projectiles and melee attacks are reflected back at the attacker.

Doesn't say 85% of the damage, it says 85% of the attacks. Meaning most of the attacks will be reflected back on the attacker in full for 100% damage, but some of the attacks will go through and hit the Monk.

It's not a 3 second invincibility. It's a 3 second near-invincibility.
Since when does a class "absolutely" beat another class?

When the classes aren't balanced when combating one another (PvP).

That has nothing to do with what I said. If a really good pvper is playing a demon hunter vs. a terrible pvper playing a wizard, both of equal level and comparable gear, I would place my money on the demon hunter every single time.
(This is going off of earlier claims that the demon hunter wasn't doing so hot during the Blizzcon pvp demo, just to use an example)
its not the char its the person playing
If it's balanced perfectly it'd be 50/50. :)

I don't know, ranged does have a damage advantage just because ... its ranged. A melee oriented class like the monk has to close the gap to do any damage, but luckily the monk has a few options to close the gap. The monk is going to be beefier though with more defense and vitality over the wizard, ideally that'd negate any extra damage the wizard is able to pull off before getting pommeled.

There isn't a right answer, though. It comes down to skill selection, gear, and the players. Everything being equal it comes down to balance, and that should be equal as well if we do our jobs right, and if we don't you can expect some hotfixes or patches to try to make it that way. ;)

I don't know, ranged does have a damage advantage just because ... its ranged. A melee oriented class like the monk has to close the gap to do any damage, but luckily the monk has a few options to close the gap. The monk is going to be beefier though with more defense and vitality over the wizard, ideally that'd negate any extra damage the wizard is able to pull off before getting pommeled.

There isn't a right answer, though. It comes down to skill selection, gear, and the players. Everything being equal it comes down to balance, and that should be equal as well if we do our jobs right, and if we don't you can expect some hotfixes or patches to try to make it that way. ;)

I agree, you should grow back your goatee and aid people with broken legs.
01/05/2012 07:50 PMPosted by Bashiok
and if we don't you can expect some hotfixes or patches to try to make it that way. ;)

are you just announcing balance-patches for PvP? I think you said you wouldn't do the same mistakes as WoW ?!?!

Wait a minute. I thought you guys weren't going to balance the game with PVP in mind since that would take too much resources, and Diablo was meant to be primarily Co-Op/single player... well that's what I vaguely remember from an interview he did.

AHA!

So these tweaks and polish you mentioned are actually for PVP, or some new arena model/mode. Solved it guys.

congrats!
sherlock #2 :P
01/05/2012 08:06 PMPosted by D3BETA
and if we don't you can expect some hotfixes or patches to try to make it that way. ;)

are you just announcing balance-patches for PvP? I think you said you wouldn't do the same mistakes as WoW ?!?!

No to make the characters even so it's not like D2 where the sorc is useless without a infinity in hell. Where did he mention PvP?
01/05/2012 08:53 PMPosted by FruitVendor
No to make the characters even so it's not like D2 where the sorc is useless without a infinity in hell. Where did he mention PvP?

The original poster's post is regarding PVP balance between Monk vs Wizard. Bashiok responded to his concern therefore it's directly a response to PVP.

ugh >.> that's what I get for skipping to the blue. Hmm curious.