New to Diablo

General Discussion
I've been an avid WoW player for a couple of years and recently purchased the annual pass which gives me the Diablo 3 digital download free when it is released. But... I have never stepped foot in a Diablo game! It looks very fun and has a much more mature look compared to WoW.

So my question is: would you recommend the need to play the past Diablo games to understand any story relevant to part 3? Or could I just pick it up and start hacking away while having fun and still understand what's going on?
Pretty sure you're going to have the time of your life, my dude.

edit: you'll be able to pick it up and play it
01/17/2012 02:19 AMPosted by Safica
would you recommend the need to play the past Diablo games to understand any story relevant to part 3?

Not to understand anything about D3, but I would recommend D1 and D2 for pure enjoyment.

If you want to understand the story, you can find it out there on plenty of Wiki's. Or pick up a copy of The Book of Cain.
I recommend you play at least Diablo II first to fully enjoy the game.
01/17/2012 02:41 AMPosted by FruitVendor
I recommend you play at least Diablo II first to fully enjoy the game.

I recommend a run at the single player if you're going this route. The multiplayer can be a bit frustrating due to spam bots and age of the servers... it will frustrate a new player, to be frank with you.

this... you gotta be ahead of the game (like me, the 95 hardcore uswest ladder decked hammerdin) to know what ur jumping into to get the correct feel for the game. Go d2 single player if you're BRAND new.
01/17/2012 02:41 AMPosted by FruitVendor
I recommend a run at the single player if you're going this route. The multiplayer can be a bit frustrating due to spam bots and age of the servers... it will frustrate a new player, to be frank with you.
Actually, I disagree. The act 2 boss can be extremely difficult if you don't have a good build to deal with him. If he plays single player, he won't be able to get help on any of the bosses. Plus, there's no way to get items to your other characters in single player. If he makes multiple characters, his Barb wouldn't be able to use the good helm he found because his Sorc found it.

If you want to take the quests slow, put a password on the game. If you want a group without bots, but a level restriction that keeps low level players out. That takes care of most bots, at least last time I played.

As for the OP, not really. The story isn't that complicated. You can read the back story online and see the cutscenes on youtube. It's still worth playing for fun and it's good practice for D3 since the pacing and many spell mechanics will be similar. Unlike WoW, you can dodge most ranged attacks. So you should get used to attacking and dodging at the same time.
lucied how long has it been since you played d2?
'cause duriel isn't hard.. especially if you don't know what you're doing since you'd have not have bee-lined through the quests so you would have outleveled duriel to make him easier.
I suggest watching the Lore series care of Force @ youtube, a popular Diablo Media guy, heres the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?src_vid=IGowVF4x6H8&feature=iv&v=5Ghu8RzsWvs&annotation_id=annotation_88452

He retells the lore of the previous in the most condensed form, its less than 30 minutes for all 3 parts but well worth it.

I suggest even those who played all the games to watch this even as a refresher course, hell I learned a lot of things from these videos.

TLDR:

Watch video, no need to have background of previous games to enjoy it, but it helps.

This!
or... OR... and i can't believe no one has linked this... But..

http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/lore/journal.xml

You could prolly just pick up and plau but i would suggest at least reading something about it the lore is soooo good.