Companion and Reforging Scrolls Removed

General Discussion
Prev 1 10 11 12 Next
Why don't they just incorporate the scroll abilities to the followers? I really never saw pets as something for Diablo.
These posts about trimming the fat for a better release date are feeding my soul. Please never reinstate pets.
Ought to make the Demon Hunter's ferrets a little more valuable...
I'm going to miss my little bunny, though. :(
why not just have gold as an autoloot? companions are really out of place and they were one of my biggest complaints. i didn't mind the reforge scrolls but i always felt that the progression should be more like WoW. don't hate on that system. you should have to actually use the forge to gain exp for the forge. makes perfect sense.
I didn't like those companion scrolls either. I know it's a dark gritty horror game, but having a centipede pet is just gross and creepy. The cockroach wasn't very nice either. I loved the chicken and the bunny rabbit, but you could never choose them--either get an entertaining pet you'd enjoy in real life, or get a nasty bug, at random. If there are going to be pets, I'd much rather be able to choose them. And if they can do more than just pick up gold, that would be cool too.
A few more changes have made their way in to Diablo III beta patch 10, including the removal of Scrolls of Companion and Scrolls of Reforging, and we’ll be updating the patch notes to reflect that.

In both cases these are features we felt were underdeveloped and just not quite good enough for the game in their current state. The companion pets felt like they were mandatory to maximize play efficiency and some of the pets were too cutesy for the gritty, dark world of Sanctuary. Neither of those are issues we felt like we could solve without a lot of additional work, and we’re trying to close in on a solid release date for the game, not move further away. When weighing these systems against releasing the game, we decided to cut these scrolls and stay on track for the game’s release.

We think we can make companion pets into a much cooler system (both mechanically and visually), and evolve the reforging scrolls into a more meaningful system at some point in the future. For the time being, they will not be in the initial release of the game.

but the current picking up of gold is plain annoying, i'd rather just have the scrolls of companions like they were in patch 9 (even if it's just a temporary solution) then to be forced to pickup my gold myself.

at least i'm glad to hear SoC will make their comeback.
with the removal of those two items it probably cut the release date by several years. so somewhere around 2015 is my guess.
01/29/2012 08:44 AMPosted by Deeidy
with the removal of those two items it probably cut the release date by several years. so somewhere around 2015 is my guess.
Optimistic are we?
Yay! Just need to remove enemies and loot, then the game should be ready for release by xmas.
Nooooo! I love my little companions. I loved not having to wander around and pick up all the gold. Goodbye little guys.
I'm gonna miss having a chicken follow my witchdoctor around...

*cries*
I'm gonna miss having a chicken follow my witchdoctor around...

*cries*

It's ok. You still have WoW to carebear it up and play with collectible pets. Residents of Sanctuary don't have time for that BS with the forces of hell raining down upon them and whatnot.
I certainly hope Blizz puts some emphasis on Gold collection. They have attributes that increase the range of health globe pickup; I'd love a "Godly Plate of Sticky Fingers" chest piece that allows me to increase gold pickup range to 100m.

At least get away from having to actually click the gold to pick it up. Like all other click-n-kill rpgs, just have the gold magically appear in your purse as soon as it hits the ground.
I was never a fan of the cute critters, but I really liked the idea of a creature picking up gold so that I don't have to...I hope they add something to account for laziness now that pets are gone.

Oh, and removing scrolls, thank you! They are a waste of space, unnecessary, never liked them.
I look for to these things making their way into the game when they're more fleshed out. You just have to eventually release the game. Such is life in software development.
What's a Scroll of Reforging? Is he refering to the pages / books to level up the BS?
They could add in Telekinesis like back in Diablo 1. I remember dying in a loaded room and having to stand just out of the doorway and use Tele to retrieve all of my gear back.
A few more changes have made their way in to Diablo III beta patch 10, including the removal of Scrolls of Companion and Scrolls of Reforging, and we’ll be updating the patch notes to reflect that.

In both cases these are features we felt were underdeveloped and just not quite good enough for the game in their current state. The companion pets felt like they were mandatory to maximize play efficiency and some of the pets were too cutesy for the gritty, dark world of Sanctuary. Neither of those are issues we felt like we could solve without a lot of additional work, and we’re trying to close in on a solid release date for the game, not move further away. When weighing these systems against releasing the game, we decided to cut these scrolls and stay on track for the game’s release.

We think we can make companion pets into a much cooler system (both mechanically and visually), and evolve the reforging scrolls into a more meaningful system at some point in the future. For the time being, they will not be in the initial release of the game.

I didn't like them so thumbs up!