Mantras

Monk
Shouldn't Mantras be passive skills instead of a hotkey option? It seems dumb to have a cool power but if I choose it the game is less engaging as I just click the hell out of creeps while I am capable of dodging more stuff. Just saying...
You will be happy with clicking a mantra once the first time you fighting a tough mob, and realize you have plenty of spirit to mash retribution every 3s and keep 80% damage reflection going for everyone. Its a little goofy, and the beta doesn't get far enough into the game for it to be super awesome, but its kinda broken. Later on, its fun times with an extra 20% damage, 25% dodge, or massive aoe healing. It is well worth a button press every three minutes.
<-- Oops, thats better :)

Mantras are very powerful. It would be OP if blizz made it so you could use 3 at the same time without costing any resources.
Would you want the Wizards armour spells to be passive's too?

Not trying to sound like a !##*, just something to think about :)
Its kinda broken that i can click the dodge mantra every 3 sec and my group can dodge every attack.
Mashing mantras would only be a viable strategy (barring spirit costs) if there were no internal CD on them and if they didn't trigger a global CD...so now the question for those of you with the beta is...is this the case?
There's a passive that increases Mantra run time by 7 minutes so that's a 9 min total.
7+3=10

But I understand what the OP is getting at. At least early game like we get in beta, the mantra is wasted spot, and due to the skill changing CD of 30 seconds, taking a minute out of every three to keep your mantra refreshed, then switching back to our normal ability is not going to happen.

Hopefully with more skill slots available to hot-key later on, this becomes less of an issue.
I'm much less bothered by the wasted spot (D2 Paladin Auras, now THAT was a wasted spot.) and more bothered by the fact that the mantras are long duration/low cost and thus are obviously intended to be active all the time. So why bother with the activation at all. The skill should just be a toggle to turn the mantra on or off and it should drain spirit slowly while it's active (10 spirit per minute continuous instead of 25 per 3 minutes active). Or just make them free, they basically are already. 25 spirit per 3 minutes is close enough to free that they could also just drop the spirit cost entirely and treat your used up skill slot as "the cost". Remembering to recast something which is clearly intended to work like a continuous buff is really annoying.
7+3=10

But I understand what the OP is getting at. At least early game like we get in beta, the mantra is wasted spot, and due to the skill changing CD of 30 seconds, taking a minute out of every three to keep your mantra refreshed, then switching back to our normal ability is not going to happen.

Hopefully with more skill slots available to hot-key later on, this becomes less of an issue.

It was my understanding that when you cast a mantra then take the skill off your bar that the buff disappears, so... I will check this later when i'm not so lazy :D
Blizzard specifically stated they didn't want mantras to be passive only.

I enjoy the way they've implemeneted...it ensures theyre just not taking up space on my hotbar.
As Otter mentioned, double effect + the ability to rune them for some very nice variations - keep active imho.