Rune System and Inventory Issue Idea

General Discussion
I had come up with an idea as a potential solution for the known/acknowledged issue of inventory management in regards to Runes. Basically, if Runes become locked, or attuned, to skills, it creates a massive amount of inventory space required to house them all. This is exacerbated if they were to add affixes to every rune, like they had at one time thought of doing.

Personally, I think both ideas are great and only the inventory issue would really hold them back, which is why I ended up coming up with this idea. I'm sure something like this has been thought of, but I'd be happy to hear people's opinions on it, since we have very little information about how Runes are currently working.

Basically, I personally wouldn't mind seeing a Rune Tab, or something, which is its own database that isn't based on the inventory grid, but is more akin to the Blacksmith's crafting window with drop-down categories, or similar. It could added to the Stash, or maybe Character Inventory, depending on where they want people to fiddle with Runes. It would allow runes to lock to spells, have affixes if they want them to, etc. It would just require categorizing by Rune Type or Skill they're locked to and then list which runes (level and affix) fit that requirement. Add a search filter and it wouldn't matter just how many runes you ended up collecting.

You could even have an Unallocated Rune as the drop, which goes into the inventory (the old Gray Rune). At some point, a player clicks on it, and the rune reveals what it does/its characteristics and gets added to the Rune Tab database.

To me, at least, it seems like the most elegant way to solve the inventory issues with Runes: Make it so they don't interact with the inventory beyond the initial pick-up.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts!
Considering they shrunk the stash because of the length of item ids I don't see them adding more stash space later because they created new items with new item ids.
Why you no can put a rune in every skill (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻

And you know what I mean <.< You find a rune, it's a certain color, you put it in the skill you want it and voila.
02/03/2012 10:37 AMPosted by TomBombadil
have affixes if they want them to

no, too much customization, I don't usually say that, but when I do, it's too much frigging customization. You wanna get close to perfection before dying at some point.
02/03/2012 01:09 PMPosted by Sei
have affixes if they want them to

no, too much customization, I don't usually say that, but when I do, it's too much frigging customization. You wanna get close to perfection before dying at some point.

I mention that only because they had said in the past that they had the idea of adding affixes to runes before. It wasn't my own idea, just a way to implement theirs. It was akin to charms without cluttering the inventory, I believe they thought. I don't know if they're still even considering it or not, but Jay had mentioned he liked it.

Admittedly, it does also add issues with runes and the AH, so who knows how well it would work, even potentially. It was just an idea, and one I'm sure they've already played with.

I'm quite interested in seeing what they've decided to do for Runes.
02/03/2012 10:41 AMPosted by Savior
Considering they shrunk the stash because of the length of item ids I don't see them adding more stash space later because they created new items with new item ids.

Well, runes are in as items anyway, and they had previously discussed having affixes on the runes (not my own idea).

It had been noted before that runes took up a LOT of inventory space, potentially a lot of a lots. So the idea I had was to simply not store them in the stash/inventory. It's true it may have some storage/data issues, but I'm not sure it's any more than they already have (especially if they're keeping the affixes on the runes, which may simply have gone way of the do-do).