"Tanking"

Barbarian
There are no 'healers' .. my lord. I hope people that play world of warcraft have a special tag next to their name so they can be ignored.

And thanks for spacing out that huge wall of text. Was much easier to read that way.
05/10/2012 11:37 PMPosted by CdrRogdan
There are no 'healers'

check some of the monks abilities again and come back and say that. The monk can be a type of combat healer.

edit: I'm sure it could be better but http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aeXdTQ!cfV!..Z..a still proves the point.
i put up a "tanky" barb build in another thread, but that's not to say that i'm planning on being a "tank" in the WoW sense of the word. the way i was thinking was that i would try to do a lot of aoe damage while keeping the mobs as close to me as possible. additionally, using things like threatening shout, leap, and ground stomp you can really help the other members of your team stay out of trouble. i would hesitate to criticize anyone posting builds in this forum simply because none of us have played the actual game. acting like you know more than someone else based on videos that are several years old is just silly. here's a link to the build i was referencing above: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WVXcgh!ZXV!aaaaaa it's aoe focused as i said, with more emphasis on survivability than outright dps.
There are no 'healers' .. my lord. I hope people that play world of warcraft have a special tag next to their name so they can be ignored.

And thanks for spacing out that huge wall of text. Was much easier to read that way.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#afXRTQ!cfV!ZcZaca

Just randomly tossin that build in there for you.

And no problem, Im glad i could teach you some things

But i assure you,

It was my pleasure. ( on a side note i wish people would stop believing everyone they disagree with is a WoW player lol. If only you were there for the launch of darkfall or the beta of mortal online, youd know what a skill required game actually is. )
Tanking is viable, what if the wizard sits back out of range of melle attacks and on the opposite side of the screen as any ranged attackers. Every mob will be hitting a barb absorbing all the hits. If you know what you're doing you can make tanking viable, and possibly the best metagame. However, blizzard has said that mobs will spawn all over the screen, making tanking more difficult than what people might think. OP is confused.

Because you have to have healers to have a tank? That makes so much sense it's not even funny. I'm sorry sir, but you are very very wrong. Please don't make remarks like the ones you have thinking your so much better than another person and then post something like this that makes you look pretty cluelessly retarded.
05/10/2012 10:10 PMPosted by Therealgor
If you have a "tank" barb, can you then have 3 pure damage characters, and if so does this become more beneficial than 4 balanced damage with some control specs?

Changing completely the point of view.

Will be viable to use a balanced barbarian build while playing with another 3 rangeds in Inferno?

Willing or not you will be upfront getting hammed in the face all the time. And with 4 players in Inferno mob damage doubles (if I'm not mistaken).

Maybe, your only option will be doing a more defensive build to survive. And since your ranged friends will be safer they can (and should) turn to a more damage build, also to compensate for your lack.

But that's all speculation.
Thanks for quoting me out of context Valdaz!

My comment obviously had nothing to do Evades post about him wandering around with a tank and a healer, despite the clear reference to his lack of paragraphing.

And by the way Vangaurd. I just checked:

"There are no 'healers'"

Do not confuse this with "there are no healing abilites" That would be making as a@@ out of both of us. There is no way to create a dedicated healing character that can stand around and click buttons to constantly heal his allies. That's not the way this game works. You attack enemies, you use defensive abilities, and depending on your class some of your skills can generate health for other characters.

That does not make that character a 'healer', especially when you consider over the long term that ammount of healing is small - less when you consider it doesn't scale.

The same is true for 'tanks'. There aren't any - sorry this isn't world of warcraft. You cannot ignore defenses and go for a purely damaging build via skills and gear and expect the enemies to lock onto a single character. Enemies will leap or teleport over to your character or shoot him with ranged attacks or do a number of other nasty things that your 'tank' won't be able to stop.

That doesn't mean there aren't tanking abilities. And that doesn't mean that someone can't be the designated person on the front lines to encourage them taking the hits, but there is no threat indicater and if enemies really want to hit your character they will.

I mention all of this because you are going to piss a lot of people off when you start yelling at that barbarian using a sheild to "get this enemy off of me" and start telling that monk to "use your heals please".
Thanks for quoting me out of context Valdaz!

My comment obviously had nothing to do Evades post about him wandering around with a tank and a healer, despite the clear reference to his lack of paragraphing.

And by the way Vangaurd. I just checked:

"There are no 'healers'"

Do not confuse this with "there are no healing abilites" That would be making as a@@ out of both of us. There is no way to create a dedicated healing character that can stand around and click buttons to constantly heal his allies. That's not the way this game works. You attack enemies, you use defensive abilities, and depending on your class some of your skills can generate health for other characters.

That does not make that character a 'healer', especially when you consider over the long term that ammount of healing is small - more when you consider it doesn't scale.

The same is true for 'tanks'. There aren't any - sorry this isn't world of warcraft. You cannot ignore defenses and go for a purely damaging build via skills and gear and expect the enemies to lock onto a single character. Enemies will leap or teleport over to your character or shoot him with ranged attacks or do a number of other nasty things that your 'tank' won't be able to stop.

That doesn't mean there aren't tanking abilities. And that doesn't mean that someone can't be the designated person on the front lines to encourage them taking the hits, but there is no threat indicated and if enemies really want to hit your character they will.

I mention all of this because you are going to piss a lot of people off when you start yelling at that barbarian using a sheild to "get this enemy off of me" and start telling that monk to "use your heals please".

1. i guess you didnt pick up on what i did there with the spacing but thats alright.
2. you actually can make a dedicated healer since thats what the build i made is.
3. never said the word dedicated. But you can make a dedicated healer.

Your telling me the game doesnt work this way and i cannot viably make a character that way? Bad. Will a healer have to go up and hit something to gain spirit faster for the build they make? Maybe. But there will be dedicated healers because some people want to do that. Quite a few actually, and with what the monk has, a build where the monk attacks things to heal allies, thats a dedicated healer. Im sorry but the build i made would be pretty damn good in inferno. ( the healing abilities chosen, mainly ). Dedicated healers will happen in this game. A monk hitting things doesnt change him from being a dedicated healer. But if you choose everything to HEAL you are a dedicated healer, even if some of your abilities ( which not even all of them require you to do so, ) say you can heal allies by hitting mobs. The healing isnt small. The monk can pump out a ton of healing.

As for tanking, yes there are '' tanks lol. And would you get off mentioning WoW? Geez join the troll bandwagon why dont you. Stop being like everyone else with a lame argument that is sso obviously wrong and feeling so superior referencing WoW. Tanks in this game exist. For one, they actually have a taunt lol. If that isnt obvious enough thats sad and yes im aware that its for 3 seconds. It makes it require a tank to have skill. Yes there will be mobs that put up rock walls so people cant kite, there are mobs that pull people from yards and yards away to them or teleport you to them, yes there are mobs that teleport to you or jump to you or charge to you or ignore the tank to shoot you, it may happen. Tanking will still be extremely viable and beneficial in inferno atleast during the first month. First off the fact that most of the mobs go for whose closest is a bonus. Taunt is a huge bonus. high vitality and armor and shield of course. 7 second invulnerability, sounds good to me. 10 secound cooldown of '' i can stun you for 4 seconds and bring you all closer to me so you attack me '' sounds nice. Or maybe someone wants a leap that also stuns targets and they can leap 1 foot infront of them after using ground stomp to stun everything for 4 seconds and now they can stun them all again since he can pull enemies close in to him and taunt them there if they are focusing on any one else? Tanks very very clearly exist and there will be an abundance of them. Your not forced to be one, but there will be many. Especially in inferno. The tank will have ways to stop them and even IF the tank cant stop it, he can stop 95% of the rest of it which still makes him a tank lol, and they will have to adapt to the situation. Hes still a tank.
@Evades you are still mistaking 'healing' with 'healer'. The terms you are using to not translate well into this game. Your 'healer' is not capable of spinning around and topping you off if you get hit. The heals the monk has are either short range, have a healing over time compenent, have a cooddown, high spirit cost, or some combination of all of those.

Given that your monk will be taking damage the majority of the time, as a melee character, he will not often have a choice in reserving heals for other characters. This alone should spell out for you that the roles you listed do not exist as you believe them to: Your 'healer' will be taking damage! Your 'healer' will actually be providing a great deal of crowd control, just as much so as your designated 'tank'

Your figure of 95% of enemies being blocked by your 'tank' is wishful thinking. In diablo enemies can leap/teleport right over top of other characters, and the devs have pointed out that they intend to make enemies smarter and more likely to target squishy characters. You will be just as reponsible as keeping enemies away from you as your 'tank' will be in funneling them back to the front lines. You will also be responsible for maintaining a respectable defense.

The closest translation of tank that diablo has to another game is league of legends, but there enemies lacked the ability to teleport directly behind allied defenses. If you expect your fellow barbarian to stop 95% of the enemies on inferno, expect to be dissapointed. And if your 'healer' doesn't expect to be taking hits, he will recieve a serious wakeup call.

But I don't know your friends, or even you - only what you have posted.

Anyone claiming that there are 'tanks' and 'healers' and 'dps' are going to be a detriment to other gamers that are opting for public games. Each individual character is responsible for there own defenses. If you get into a game where there are 2 melee and you are ranged, feel free to swap some of your skills/passives to suit, but do not think that you can ignore vitality, resists, or armor on your gear any more than anyone else.
guess I should have elaborated a little.........anyway

Point is to give ppl with the WoW mindset, a better idea of what combat will be like in diablo.

After watching the carnage in those vids, it should be pretty obvious tanking isnt viable.......isnt it?

You are right big difference between Tanking and being Tanky(tough) 9/10 people know you can't actually tank but that doesn't mean they can't make a TANKY barb. Look at D2 many people made Tanky barbs/druids/paladins its a different style of play that some people enjoy including myself.
He wont be reserving the heals for himself, his heals effect all. Im aware of healing and being a healer. This is, a healer build. Designed to only hit a few things to get in and out to obtain spirit a bit faster and for his dmging ability to heal allies. not to stay in combat in inferno. he will be focusing on healing the majority of the time since he can recast mantra. Regardless of cooldowns, this is a '' healer '' for diablo 3. As in its a healer not just a character with secondary healing abilities. That build will be focusing on healing and perhaps 1-2 abilities to prevent for everyone aswell. Maybe 1 oh !@#$ button if he needs it. but mainly focused on heals and going in combat for only a few seconds then exiting. Close range heals is irrelevant. Its an actual healer build. Thats what it is. This build wont be fighting much at all. The heals themselves are actually quite high. He puts out an incredible amount of healing in total. And most likely this build might not even see combat at the beginning of inferno until hes locked down and instead, focusing on hiding in the back until, like i said, hes locked down or has no other choice. The build will avoid melee range with mobs at all costs escpecially at the beginning of inferno and only hit maybe 2-3 times then exit for a while.

As for the tank, Hes still a tank. im very well aware of everything the devs have stated. im accounting for tons of control the mobs may have including more than what you have already mentioned. However the stuns the barb has will greatly effect a huge portion of the mobs, the taunt, will greatly effect a huge portion of all the mobs, the fact that the barb can pull mobs into him so the dpsers can aoe / singletarget them down will help greatly and make them focus more on the tank. The fact that most of the mobs go for wheoevers closer will make him even more of a traditional tank. The fact that people arent retarded and with their tanks can actually move around, will allow them to go after the mobs that make it past them or allow a couple to get by based on the difficulty of handling it for the other players. Also the other players would have a control ability or 2 or more aswell. The barb wont be the only one with it. they could for example knock the creature back to the barb, put slow traps down, freeze them near the barb, slow them in general near the barb, adapt to kiting a few stragglers, adapt to single target dpsing the stragglers down quickly to re focus on the barbs mass of mobs. Several several several options. But it is a tank. an actual tank. May be a different play style of one, but its a tank.

He can taunt within 25 yards which is huge, for 3 seconds, Aoe stun for 4 seconds which pulls the enemies into him and the range is increased to 24 yards again huge, and then leap 1 inch forward to stun them all for 3 seconds longer. your talkin 10 seconds of downtime for those mobs in that huuuge radius he can do this in and can do it every 10 - 15 seconds for free and actually gaining him fury. Huge life bonuses, huge armor bonus, shield, focusin on good resistances, a fury generating cleave that hits tons of mobs that slow them for 80% they are crawling and he can keep cleaving forever. Thats just one build. and thats just the 1 tank. thats not counting anything the healer or any of the other 2 characters have for CC to keep them near the tank or to adapt to survive if a few get past. i guarantee you, this is a tank. 4 second stun + bringing them closer to u, 3 second taunt, 3 second leap stun, thats 10 seconds of downtime plus if the tank can take the dmg with the healer he can sac invulnerability to get seismic slam since he isnt spending his fury on anything he can spam it. 70% chance of a 1.5 second AoE stun that he can constantly use to keep the mobs near him. if they ignore him, he can stun them until he can taunt them. This is unquestionably a tank sir. And the healer is unquestionably a healer. Dedicated tank, Dedicated healer. They are dedicating themselves to focus on healing and tanking. Im done for now :) to useless to repeat this to you when all you do is change your incorrect arguement and word it differently to spell out the same incorrect statement. See you all in game :)
How is this build (the build you posted):

Supposed to get in and out of combat? Cyclone strike would be fatal. You would be better off with deadly reach and mystic ally.

I honestly don't care what you do as you seem content on grouping with a set of friends. Do whatever you want to succeed or fail together.

I'm trying to dispel the belief that there are roles to fill in this game, so that people familiar with world of warcraft (you do realize you both have tags that say you have level 85 characters right?) don't join public groups thinking they are going to tank or heal or much much worse dps and ignore defense.

Supposed to get in and out of combat? Cyclone strike would be fatal. You would be better off with deadly reach and mystic ally.

I honestly don't care what you do as you seem content on grouping with a set of friends. Do whatever you want to succeed or fail together.

I'm trying to dispel the belief that there are roles to fill in this game, so that people familiar with world of warcraft (you do realize you both have tags that say you have level 85 characters right?) don't join public groups thinking they are going to tank or heal or much much worse dps and ignore defense.

here you go a monk healer with movement ability.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#afXRcQ!cfV!ZcZaYa

also I love how our ideas mean !@#$ because we play WoW. Ok I get it you hate WoW, to each his own. However the way I interpreted the whole "there are no roles" (especially after actually looking at abilities of the classes) is that you don't necessarily need a tank, a healer, and 2 dps but the option for those play styles is there.

Also where is your pic from? Because D3 isn't that game so go back to that.
D3 still has more in common with WoW than (I'm assuming) SC. So quit using the fact people play WoW to make their ideas seem less relevant than your ideas.
01/30/2012 11:22 PMPosted by Zombie
Tanking is probably the wrong word for what you can do in D3. Control builds would probably be more accurate.

Survival builds/Defensive builds imo. "Control" is more like the WD's Horrify, or slowing enemies to kite them, you know, controlling the enemies.
I don't hate world of warcraft. I have played that game and plenty of other online rpgs as well. And I have no idea where this pic came from. I mention world of warcraft because it is a blizzard game that many players that are now here to play diablo are familiar with, and questions regarding 'tanks' 'healers' and 'dps' tend to come from people with those tags.

The idea of making a group that attempts to use a tank a healer and 2 dps being a poor idea has nothing to do with you playing world of warcraft. Your tag could have said hello kitty island adventure, and then I wouldn't have even mentioned it. It is a poor idea simply because the classes do not translate well into those roles.

Ranged characters still need to be able to defend themselves. Melee characters cannot neccesary stop the flow of monsters, nor to they neccesarily need healing from sources other than their own. Playing as a glass cannon and dying because of it will have little or nothing to do with your melee characters abilities. It will largely be based on you being lucky or unlucky enough not to be targeted.

This thread was not started by myself. It was an attempt to educate people that believe tanking is a viable option as part of a group what that will actually entail. You can encourage enemies to attack your character first. You can attempt to pull them closer to you, stun them, slow them, or knock them back, but regardless of how little or how much damage you deal to an enemy you cannot force them to attack you. (The exception being demoralize with a 20% uptime)
I don't hate world of warcraft. I have played that game and plenty of other online rpgs as well. And I have no idea where this pic came from. I mention world of warcraft because it is a blizzard game that many players that are now here to play diablo are familiar with, and questions regarding 'tanks' 'healers' and 'dps' tend to come from people with those tags.

The idea of making a group that attempts to use a tank a healer and 2 dps being a poor idea has nothing to do with you playing world of warcraft. Your tag could have said hello kitty island adventure, and then I wouldn't have even mentioned it. It is a poor idea simply because the classes do not translate well into those roles.

Ranged characters still need to be able to defend themselves. Melee characters cannot neccesary stop the flow of monsters, nor to they neccesarily need healing from sources other than their own. Playing as a glass cannon and dying because of it will have little or nothing to do with your melee characters abilities. It will largely be based on you being lucky or unlucky enough not to be targeted.

This thread was not started by myself. It was an attempt to educate people that believe tanking is a viable option as part of a group what that will actually entail. You can encourage enemies to attack your character first. You can attempt to pull them closer to you, stun them, slow them, or knock them back, but regardless of how little or how much damage you deal to an enemy you cannot force them to attack you. (The exception being demoralize with a 20% uptime)

I agree that the "tank" can't be all the control in the party and other classes do still have to hold their own simply because there isn't aggro. But as a Barb I still think you can effectively be a "tank", or controller if you prefer, and a Monk could be more of a combat healer. Unfortunately we still won't be able to see what works and what doesn't for another few days, then all the speculation can end and we will all know who was right and who was wrong.

I'm still going to do a lot of experimenting anyway to see what works for me.

I literally stated that i just tossed the !@#$ together and to only pay attention to the heals and know cyclone wouldnt be fatal. Barb taunt and you use cyclone at the right moment and dont be completely stupid like it seems you would be since that how you imagined it going down. in inferna and in inferno hardcore there will be roles. alot of them. Can you do it without being a tank or healer or grouping like that? probably if your skilled yes. But an equally skilled group of players with a tank and healer are going to have an advantage over you at the very beginning of inferno. The amount of control and hits the barb can do and take alone, are perfect. makes him a very good tank. he can easily hold the mobs on himself. There will be roles and the good news is you can greatly greatly customize and make multiple tank builds. Thats whats so amazing and different from other games. if you can choose a shield, massive amounts of armor, pick whatever stats you want and go for high vit armor resistances blocking whatever, and you have ---> Taunt <---, you, are, a, tank. Same goes for the monk.And im talking traditional tank. just with more focus on keeping aggro or mobs controlled and on him than standing still in wow and doing almost nothing for 5 minutes while eating cheetohs and watching TV. Honestly i dislike WoW quite a bit and have for the longest time. It was great during its vanilla years. But i know a real true traditional tank when i see one. with tank stats, tank abilities, and all things that make a tank, this is.

Edit: also, i never said the 2 dps will be glass cannons. They will greatly greatly need to be able to survive aswell and have some CC and an oh !@#$ button.
@Evades In post #32 you refer to "this build" being a healer build and "this build" being able to dash in and out of combat. I assumed that you were reffering to the build you posted, as there was no other build available for anyone else to reference.

Dashing in and out of combat using spirit spenders costs spirit - spirit that could be used for healing. Not that you had any in that build. Additionally Cyclone Strike pulls enemies next to you, which would almost certainly result in that character being hit, something that you said you didn't expect to happen.

The only reason I brought it up is because you logic seems to be flawed on what you can and cannot do. Unless you pick abilities that keep that monk at range (alternatives that I provided) you will be taking hits. You cannot dash in and out of combat purely by running, and even if you could you wouldn't be doing any damage or generating any spirit, making your role considerably less effective.

Furthermore in the post you JUST made you talk about:

... and you have ---> Taunt <---, you, are, a, tank. Same goes for the monk.And im talking traditional tank. just with more focus on keeping aggro or mobs controlled and on him ...

The barbarian has one skill that has a taunt for 3 seconds on a 15 second cooldown. Additionally you are talking about 'aggro' like it is a thing. There is no aggression in diablo! Enemies attack whoever is closest/softest/carries the biggest gorrilla.

Finally - I thought you were done. Have you chosen to resume ?
I have chosen to resume due to the amount of flaws you seem to keep stating. I feel almost compelled to correct them. 1. being that i stated '' this build '' was just randomely thrown together and that i was only counting the healing abilities. I never said keep cyclone strike, i was saying it was an option and that if you chose it for your healing build you would have to dash in and out of combat. 2. i stated dashing in and out meaning, next to the barbarian or behind him. not into the center of 10 mobs. 3. aggro is a thing. a small thing at that since taunt is 3 seconds, but you will not be relying on one ability as characters arent gimped to only have 1. they have 6. and 3 passives. and gear choices / combinations, that allow them to focus on healing. Monk for example can gear towards regen spirit faster and more spirit on gear in general. the barb has plenty of ways to nearly infinitely keep most if not all, the mobs on him, as long as he can take it. thats where the monk comes in to help. Keeping tons of mobs all on the barb would be such a massive advantage. Infact its because of the inferno mob abilities that you will be almost needing a tank build. Not just for CC but literally to get the mobs to go for and hit, him. the barb could circle around them but the idea is that they stay near him and he AoE stops any from leaving or single target 80% slows. I have a feeling the mobs will get smart at some point and learn. Good chance this game will have what a good game would have which would be smarter creatures. That meaning, when the creature running towards the wizard for 30 seconds is still right next to the barb not succeeding, they will have certain mobs to switch back to the barb to atleast get hits in before it dies instead of pursuing the other target after X amount of seconds. But the abilities like Walling, teleporting you to them. rooting you, teleporting to you, things such as this, are reasons that when in inferno, if your not a tank, youll probly die extremely fast. especially at the beginning of inferno lol. Additions of the others also having some CC will be wonderful, but id be willing to bet for over 50% of the players entering inferno for the first time, a straight up decked out dedicated tank will be used in the groups. Again with very skilled players, anythings possible. Perhaps a 20% life leech frenzy barb who tries to get the attention of the mobs instead of a tank and survives off of the insane dps with leech. or perhaps a very skilled kiting group. or maybe even just a well balanced group. But at the beginning of inferno, with a group of 4, your going to see a ton of straight up tank barbs and alot of people looking for a straight up tank barb to be in their group. Call it speculation if youd like, but honestly its just common sense. Not a matter of saying roles are required, nor does it make it a bad game. Its just very simple and common sense. This shouldnt even be an argument. I mean, you have a character that can have a shield / block, a massive amount more life, armor, CC abities that draw mobs into them, stun them, taunt them, Aoe 80% slow them all, passive abilities that make them even more ridiculously durable, could essentially spec to have almost infinite aoe stun since they gain fury when they are hit and seismic slam would be a good thing to test for it, i mean the list goes on and on. They can essentially lock down a massive amount of mobs withing a huuuuge radius for ( for most mobs depending on if mobs will have stun resist and / less control duration ) 10 seconds not even counting the seismic slam if u spec for it, and a 7 second invulnerability. I mean, if you paid attention to that, and still are saying that you cant make an all out traditional tank, thats disappointing honestly. ( the intelligent creature based on switching aggro since there is aggro in the game, just not a sense of truly being able to control the aggro, was purely speculation on the fact that most games have this. D2 did. )

On a side note, a monk can gear towards regenning spirit incredibly quickly + can spec towards it aswell. I mention this because they could keep casting healing mantra when any other heal is on cooldown and they can heal from far farrrr away. With pretty much all their heals. But sorry, if you make a character have nothing but tank abilities or nothing but healing abilities, your a tank or a healer. This games style of play isnt that much different than any other game, aside from the fact now the tank could potentially kite sometimes and not wipe a raid of people from doing so like stupid games that would have 1 character as a life line. I never said the tank makes the group. Im saying you can make a real tank. Probably an even better tank, and in inferno, it would be a big advantage.

To simplify this, Anyone can be anything they want to be in this game. A dedicated tank, or healer or whatever they want. But they CAN be that. And it is very viable.